Goodwill Finds

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by David_NC, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. David_NC

David_NC AK Subscriber Subscriber

I went to one of our local Goodwill stores over the weekend for some shopping / browsing. The one store I find with decent equipment has a dedicated electronics section that it completely separated from the main store. I was pretty impressed with the inventory at this store, and a couple pieces caught my eye:
    Denon DRA-425 receiver
    Yamaha AX-700U amp (plus a matching tuner)​
    Both were reasonably priced and looked like new, but I'm waiting for their price tag colors to come up for half price week. Yeah, I'll likely miss out on both, but I really don't need them either. There were quite a few upper level Denon CI, Integra, Pioneer Elite, and Yamaha 5.1/6.1/7.1 receivers without HDMI, and a few slightly lower models with HDMI. I really wish I had a use for a nice receiver or amp in the sub-$100 range (generally quite a bit less than that). The speaker selection was somewhat lacking, but I found quite a few nice CD and DVD players, but I don't really need them, either. I guess visiting this store will be part of my weekend routine... I just need to figure out which color tags will be half price.

Nightwisher likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

That would be nice if every GW was like that .

Audioraven likes this.
  3. David_NC

Indeed. It only took me 5 years of living here to find the good one!

zebra03 likes this.
  4. Dswankey

Dswankey Super Member

5. David_NC

6. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

GW in Georgia has sucked for the past couple of years. The persons that prices things thinks they can get top Fleabay dollar. Haven’t had much luck in a very long time.

7. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall AK Subscriber Subscriber

It may be that whatever colour tags they use for electronics are exempt from those events.​

A couple stores here promote those "tag colour" sales but it's mostly for stuff they get tons of. Electronics and audio recordings were always excluded. Clothes, housewares to some degree and books are what they get in spades.

8. 50nstillhifi

50nstillhifi Super Member

Here in the Midlands.. there are a number of quality GWs. It is incredible some of the rare audio items I have seen on display or purchased over the last two years. Most are in good condition but need a little "TLC recovery" for return to full working order.

Given the Millennials are cleaning out there now older generations basements, garages, and crawl spaces.. I am sure there will be more vintage audio to come :bigok:!

David_NC likes this.
  9. Tronk

Tronk AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think everyone goes to my local Goodwill to snag up electronics cheap, mark it up and sell on Letgo. Never anything good there, so I get mine at Amish Country thrift stores. The majority in those areas don't use electricity :D

David_NC likes this.
  10. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

Thrift-shopping became "trendy" a decade or so ago. GW wants to move upscale, become a "boutique". The posters displayed in their windows show this new corporate image: they are, ahem, "cool", "hip" and "with it". Products and prices reflect this.

11. David_NC

Not at this one; I saw green, orange, and purple tags in the electronics section, and the color of the price sticker did not seem to coincide with the value of the item. The guy announcing the half price color of the week works in the electronics area. I asked him if it applied to electronics, and he said that it applied to everything in the store. I need to get there when the color of the week is announced! ;)