Google Pixel photo software for your Android phone

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by sanford12, Dec 7, 2017.

1. sanford12

sanford12 Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff Subscriber

The Google Pixel is thought by many to have the best camera of any phone and it's software is also well respected. Now I have the LG V20 and have found the auto settings to be pretty bad. You have to shoot manually for a good picture. Also the HDR function is not all it could be. I find the photos slightly veiled/soft and they look to be over processed in auto mode. While looking for tips, tricks and hacks for the V20 I ran across the ported version of the Pixel hardware for use on other android phones. This will run on almost any flagship phone since 2016 with the snapdragon 820,821, or 835 chipset.

Now your on your so own make your own decision as to whether to install. I have and there are no glitches I've seen so far and there is a marked improvement over the V20's standard software. The only thing I've found is I can't us the 2nd wide angle camera. No biggie I'll just use the V20's software for that.

Here's the link to read about it and download. https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2017/09/08/hdr/

The camera icon on the right is the Pixel software version.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I may try sideloading that on my Nexus 6, as I have a data SIM in it and can use it as a backup.

Not happening--Snapdragon 805.

The Pixel does have better camera hardware (such as a larger Sony CCD sensor than other phones have), but to have that HDR+ processing elsewhere would be worth it. It's sick that the Pixel takes better low light photos than my DSLR! If someone would get this photo processing into a DSLR body they would have a winner IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    sanford12 likes this.
  3. sanford12

That's too bad. People do some amazing stuff phone cameras.

4. radioactive

radioactive tube gear fanatic Subscriber

Just recently received my pixel 2 xl and enjoying it. I might try this on my nexus 6p though.

Wildcat likes this.
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

The Nexus 6 was pretty good as it was, for a phone camera, but the software would have kicked it up a notch. I will say that of all the photos I've ever taken on phones myself, or had submitted to me from other popular models, none seem to touch the image quality I get with the Pixel XL. First ones I've seen personally that are suitable for printing at larger sizes. (Which in fact, I did--I printed a book of photos from the road trip my daughter and I took this summer, and given there was overlap with my DSLR, there is no way I can tell them apart...except that the low-light photos came out way better on the Pixel.)

6. sanford12

It's pretty much a given anymore that it's the best camera in a phone.

radioactive and Wildcat like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I wish I could stuff those electronics and firmware into my DSLR somehow. That image processing power with interchangeable lenses, flash trigger, manual exposure settings, etc. would be a killer combination.