Gorilla Glue: wow!

ablethevoice

boatanchors rule!
My wife asked me to repair a couple of chairs which are part of the dining room set. We got them several years ago from a local furniture store. They aren't total crap, but they sure aren't TOTL, just decent looking, functional chairs which do what they are supposed to do: keep our butts off the floor while we're eating.
Anyway, a couple of the chairs had begun to come apart - the cross members on the legs, that is. I figured some good old carpenter's glue should do the trick. Yeah, it did... for about a week. Next was an attempt to get these stupid things together with 2-part epoxy. Sooo... scraping and filing all the old carpenter's glue off the parts... then a gob of epoxy. That held for about a month, then pop goes the weasel. Damn leg support members hanging free again. Yet again, I grab the file and scrape off the old epoxy. This time, I try the kneadable epoxy putty - which was a PITA because it's pretty thick and the spaces between the leg support and the hole it's supposed to fit in are really small. I don't have a clamp, so I had to stack my son's weights on the leg to force the support into the hole. That had me pretty much convinced I'd finally licked the problem. All three of the chairs held together for about 2 months, then I'll be DAMNED if they didn't all pull apart again! I noticed it when we were sitting at the table during Thanksgiving dinner. All thru the meal, I felt like I was on a rowboat.

Out of desperation, the next day I grabbed a bottle of Gorilla Glue from WalMart. I did the chipping and scraping job yet again! then goobed a spot of GG in the holes and fitted the !^%#$#$ leg supports in. Again, the weights go on the chair legs for clamping. This was Friday. Well, so far, the joints seem more solid than they did even with the epoxy putty. I think I've fixed these chairs for the last time.
I also used GG to seat a screw that holds a hinge on the wall in my daughter's room which had stripped out the hole (this is a very old house). That's as solid now as it was the day the house was built.
I'm keeping a very close eye on those chairs. We'll see if GG really lives up to it's name, but so far I'm impressed.

we use GG in our shop for making custom countertops ... thats some strong sh*^ . we once glued a hard hat to a overhead beam like in the super glue commercials and it worked , it was pretty funny when the boss walked in and seen one of the workers hanging from the overhead beam , we should have taken a pic ,

Isnt the term Gorilla Glue referred to Dnewman in his XXX movie days?

Rough up a surface, apply gorilla glue to it, glue whatever you need to glue, and it's not coming unglued.

The trick though is the surfaces need to be roughened up a bit. Also, the stuff expands, so it's good for filling in small gaps.

Actually woodcrafters magazine did a rather extensive test of various glues and with a properly done joint the water proof carpenters glues like Titebond II and one of the Elmers did the best followed by a 20min+ epoxy the gorilla glue was about mid way down on the list just above regular Elmers if I remember correctly.

Though I guess for a poor joint the properties of the Gorrilla glue could have an advantage. Myself when I have a poor joint with gaps I like to mix a little Milled Fiberglass into a good 5min or 20 min epoxy and it's like steel when done.

Measure twice, cut once. - Norm

Kim

Measure once before cutting once.
Think once before speaking once.
Look once before leaping once.
Check volume level once before hitting "play" once.
Marry once before paying alimony for the rest of your life... :eek:

Well, at least most of the time it's good advice. :yes: :D But in this case, unfortunately, I think the wood was already cut by someone else. Here maybe the expanding qualities of the GG helped?

Ablethevoice, I hope the GG does the trick for your chairs permanently. Thanks for sharing your experience. I've thought of trying that stuff before, but haven't until now. Maybe next time I'll give it a try.

Another GG story

The house we live in (rent, unfortunately... I'd love to buy it but the lady we rent from will NOT sell) is built on a red brick foundation with the hardwood floors about 18" above the actual ground. As a result, in order to get into the house we have to mount a short set of steps. These steps are just 1" planks set on stepped bricks which are part of the foundation. They used to be fastened with some sort of adhesive but over the years (long before we moved in here), that glue had let loose. Every time we use those steps the planks make a loud and irritating "kla-klunk" sound as they shifted under our weight which, frankly, has been irritating the p*ss out of me. I tried some sort of clear glue in a tube which didn't hold at all. I tried the epoxy putty which I mentioned I'd tried on the chair legs... that came loose almost immediately.

So, to the Gorilla glue. I removed the planks and fiercely scrubbed not only the wood but the brick surface they rest on with a wire brush and applied the GG (about a tablespoon per side per plank). As per instructions, I left the wood and the brick wet. I then piled my son's weights on the planks and left the whole mess alone for an hour. Now, the glue isn't even fully set yet and I can't even budge the planks so much as a millimeter! I like the way the stuff expands and foams up to fill more of the area than I actually applied the glue to. I think I've finally tackled another pestering issue once and for all with Gorilla Glue.:yes:

i really think clamps would have made a big difference in this case. I use titebond and it has never failed.

I put my Indignia speakers together with nothing but Gorilla Glue... no dowels, screws, nails... nothing. The things are rock solid. One thing I learned is to not sweat the expanding glue oozing from a crack you want filled anyway. Just let it ooze out and dry for about an hour, then come back and remove the ooze with a razor blade... just don't wait too long... it'll harden making it damn near impossible.

Gorilla Glue is some of the best stuff I've tried. Also, Liquid Nails isn't bad; just different in that it's more of a gel than a glue.

for rubber and/or canvas 'ShoeGlue' works great, i have gotten high mileage out of some well worn sneakers

Attachments

• shoeglue.jpg
    shoeglue.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom