Got a brain cramp and need some help!!!

Detailman

Addicted to tweaking
I love my 2230 but when I changed lite bulbs I knocked the tuner string loose.
I've been knocking myself out for days off and on and just can't figure it out.
I'll post a link from the searches I've done but can't seem to understand how to get the pointer to move in the same direction as the tuning wheel.
The link is for 2245 but looks exactly the same as 2230.
Only thing is you can't see the front of the wheel where the string goes to a spring.
Can someone either help me or mail me some cyanide!!!!!!!!!

Can't seem to figure out how to post the link.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102760&highlight=tuner+string

best I could do.

A picture of what you've done so far might alleviate misunderstanding in any explainations given. My guess is you forgot to cross the string over somewhere.
Marantzii are a $^(& to restring..IMO

alexkerhead said:
A picture of what you've done so far might alleviate misunderstanding in any explainations given. My guess is you forgot to cross the string over somewhere.
Marantzii are a $^(& to restring..IMO

i hear you about a pic but just picture a backlashed fishing reel in your mind.

LOL

I followed your link and the pictures of the 2285 are pretty accurate of how my 2270 is strung. However the diagram posted does not seem to match the pictures. I suspect your 2230 is similar to my 2270.

I understand your frustration so let's look closely at the pictures (not the diagram) in that link you posted and I will try to help.
I will make an assumption and say the string is still intact and still wrapped around the large tuning wheel on the front of the receiver as shown in Picture 1, but is off of the smaller tuning wheel with the spring show in the middle of Picture 3.
Look at Picture 1. Just to the right of the large tuning wheel is a piece held by 2 screws that has a plastic roller guide wheel on the bottom of it to guide the string. Remove one of the two screws and loosen the other screw so this whole piece can swivel. This will allow you some slack in the string when you do the final stringing. You will swivel this piece back into position and replace the screw to take up the slack and tighten the string when you are done.
Make sure the pointer is on and kind of centered in the dial for a reference point. Loosely run the string generally as shown in pictures 1, 2, 3, starting at the tuning needle. You do not have to wrap the string around the smaller wheel with the spring yet. Loosely tape the string into position to hold it on the plastic guides or wherever else it is needed as you go. Don’t get carried away with the tape because you will be moving the string position as you go. I use the blue painter’s masking tape because I have it and it goes on and off easily, but use whatever you have. Just use common sense and don’t put it where you don’t want residue like on the dial face.
Look at Picture 3. Look for the spring in the middle of the smaller tuning wheel show in the middle of Picture 3. The spring should be attached to the wheel on one end and loose (not attached) on the other Now take a look at the string you have left near the wheel with the spring. Can you see any subtle signs (a kink or bend) where it may have been hooked to the spring before? If you can that is good. You will use that same spot in the string to attach to the spring and later when you are finished the pointer should be close to matching the numbers on the dial to your favorite stations. Now hook the string (don’t wrap it) to the eye of spring on the loose end, run it up to through the notch on the wheel, and wrap each part of the string in opposite directions like it is shown in Picture 3. You may have to rotate the wheel and / or move the pointer so you have enough string on each side to allow the pointer to travel the length of the dial in both directions. There is some trial and error here. It may take several tries. Remember that original kink in the string is a good reference point.
Now double check the path and see if it resembles Pictures 1, 2, 3.
If it looks good go ahead and swivel the piece with the guide wheel back into position and replace the screw (snug them, don’t torque yet.). This should take up the slack and the string should be fairly tight when you are done.
Test it first my gently moving the large turning wheel. See if everything moves freely. If it does not move, binds, or slips, double check your setup with the pictures. Also check where the string is wrapped on the brass part of the large tuning wheel you see in Picture 1. Some models may have a different place where they wrap.
Hopefully you have had success. Before you button it up turn it on (using usual safety precautions) and see if the tuning needle matches your favorite stations. Also make sure the pointer has enough travels on the dial.
If not, note where the pointer is and where you want it to be. Add some tape again. Loosen the string again by pivoting that piece again. Now move the needle to the correct position. Hopefully you do not have to move it too far and you have enough slack in the string. Tape the needle in the correct position fairly tight this time. This is now your reference point. The string now has more slack on one side than the other. Move the position of string till it is equal on both sides of the needle. You can pivot that piece to tighten it up to check your fit as you go. Don’t forger to tighten and clean everything when you are done.

This is trial and error so your mileage may vary on the PITA factor to do this.
It may not be the best way but it is the way I have done it and had success on several occasions. Good luck. If you get frustrated, set it aside and try again later, or let us know what is happening.
Jim

Jim

Thank you for the time and effort involved in your post. I believe you understand my frustration.
The PITA factor is very high but I think i finally got it on my last try yesterday. From the pictures it looks exactly the same as the 2270 but I think it's a little different cause when I get it to work correctly the strings are coming off the bottom of the wheel with the spring. If I do it like the link the pointer moves backwards.
I really don't use the AM/FM on this unit very often but I love this unit and just like everything to work 100%.

Thanks again

John

I know it won't help, but my 2215 was bought with a lot of parts missing so it was necessary to rebuild a path to the string !

We went to a radio control planes shop to buy little parts : plastic rollers guide, screws, and we build a metal part to screw and fix all that stuff. Then it took one hour to restring (with the schematic).

Done with a friend (in fact he done the best part) it was a two weeks project (figure how it works, ask pictures from audiokarma, rebuild something efficient, test and then close the cover !). Of course I have other tuners, of course the 2215 is a little unit, but I am preferring a 100% unit, as you do !

Maybe you can ask help for a (very patient and meticulous) friend ?

You are a better man than me. I am ready to flip out...IHATE THIS.....it is drviging me crazy. This is tedious and I am getting nowhere. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Well, if you are ready to pay for the shipping, my friend propose to do the job for you... But send the unit to France and back to the states, maybe it's less expansive to buy another unit !

Yeah thanks but no thanks...haha..I am going to get this figured out I just need a break. I have been really close actually....so I shouldnt' say I am getting nowhere.

The problem is I have gotten it worken twice but both times the string on the wheel with the spring would cross. It worked but you could hear the string rubbing. I have tried a millions times since but cannot get them to NOT CROSS!! The only way I had any luck was if where the string starts from the spring I would go the same direction with both strings to start. Ofcourse that is not correct. I just cannot figure how to loop them around without them crossing. Any ideas!?

Local shop wants $50 bucks. Said that includes a cleaning? No thanks. At least not for now. I wont give in just yet. Although I did already break something today out of anger and I dont usually do that. My mouse is bye bye so I have to use the stupid pad on the laptop. Oh well all in a day of fun!!!

Thanks everyone for the help. I would have never gotten this close withou you guys!! THANKS!!

Jim M's post was pretty informative. Follow that one if possible.
I sympathize with you[believe me]!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The guy who designed that was one sadistic SOB.

Yes he is very thorough. But for whatever reason I just cannot get it. I am getting furher away not closer. I had to step away from it. Last time I quit for a bit I found a dumb ass mistake I made. So maybe just maybe....probably not.:no:

The worst part is the guy said he would restring it for $35 w/o the cleaning....Jee thanks!! The pioneer I just picked up and have not done anything with it yet internally. Maybe I will see if he will clean the pionner and restring the marantz for $50. Cleaning is half of the fun to me and I HATE to spend money. I have been wanting to get into vintage audio but had to wait to find a great deal. But I will throw down depending.

I am ready to take another crack at it!

John,
I don't know if this will help, but here's the crude drawing I made before I re-strung mine due to frayed cord.

Good luck!

Tom

Attachments

• marantz 2230 dial string.jpg
    marantz 2230 dial string.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 65
Thanks!!! I have been so close!!!That pic does help. Thanks for scanning it!!I will keep everyone updated. :thmbsp:

catrafter said:
John,
I don't know if this will help, but here's the crude drawing I made before I re-strung mine due to frayed cord.

Good luck!

Tom
I was lucky enough to get mine done but that drawing is great!!!!!!!
That's what mine looks like now[pretty much].
The thing that was really throwing me off is that it looked like the string was coming off the top of the tuner wheel with the spring in the other models that I found pics of during my searches.
On the 2230 if it's that way the pointer moves the wrong way.

Thanks Tom.
Hopefully it will help Rob.

I AM BACK IN BUSINESS!!! SHEESH...anyways beleive it or not a lot of the credit goes to my fiance. She has smaller fingers and more patience. WIth the two of us it was much easier. The thing that was hindering me all day as well as the two of us is too much slack in the string. I remember he has a funky loop on the spring area that took some of it up. So I unhooked the string and ran it around it around the main tuning wheel 2 more times which sufficiently took up the slack. Another thing was how I intitally began the loop from the spring.....she figured that out. Then we wound her back up and the stations are right in the ballpark and it rolls smoothly and throughout the full range!!!!

Thank you all so much!! TAKE CARE!!

When I said "Maybe you can ask help for a (very patient and meticulous) friend ?" I was not so far.

It's so more better with your fiance : Bravo !

You mix love and music : :tresbon:

Back
Top Bottom