got a call about a dark 1250....

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by quaddriver, Jul 12, 2018.

1. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

no sound, dial lights out. but function lights on. looking at the power supply, it appears that if the function lights are on, it is possible that the tuner, eq, phono etc all have power as L/R channels and the dashboard feed from different windings.

anyone ever run across this failure?

I told him to take take tape out and feed aux in, on another amp somewhere and see if tuning the 1250 produces signal...

what is common here? xformer failure?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Not very likely to be the transformer. Its probably the Stabiliser, that board runs plenty hot and there is a lot that can go wrong with it....
    Its the AWR106 and it will need rebuilding. For starter, along with everything else that needs doing.
    The dial lamps will be blown most likely..
    I would check stabiliser voltages first.

3. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

Cooking a transformer in one of these would require a substantial surge, not sustained overvoltage or overcurrent. It is likely that other items in the same structure would have sustained damage before an iron core transformer. Everything in that lineup has a thermal limiter in the power transformer, and they can be repaired.

4. mattsd

mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

Did you check the fuse for the dial lamps? They're run off of a separate winding and run through FU5, a 1.5a fuse located underneath the bottom panel in between the filter caps. The protection relay drive circuit also requires that 7.5v AC, so if that fuse is blown the protection will not engage either.

kevzep likes this.
  5. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

The first thing I check is the stabilizer.
    You should start there.

6. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

ok thanks guys I will pass that along, right now we are at the phone call stage. he wants it fixed and re-manned but Im backed up with near 26 in the pipe so I gave him MR Vince's number in case he is impatient (at Galaxie, some know who he is)

Please register to disable this ad.