Got a couple of 7" R-2-R decks, need a big 10"

bOUddha

Shouty and lovin' it!
I have a choice of targets available and seek advice on suitability, performance, utility and reliability. Choices are ...

A-3300SR
A-6300
A-3340S and

X-1000

(Yes, I'm aware they're all TEAC...I have a tiny tape theme park under construction)

Any views pro/con on any of the above? Rolf, you got yer ears on?

It depends on what extra options you want.
Teac 3300 SR is a classic older model, can have severe head wear and gummed up pinch-roller linkage, is it in good condition ?
Some has different speed, could be 7-1/2 and 15, or 3-3/4 and 7-1/2.
Also a few 2-tracks can be found compare to 4-track.
Both models were sold so be sure to check that part.

Teac 6300 I really like, taller and more dependable model, not many options but very nice sounding machine. Same thing, check headwear before buying.
4-track, 2 channel stereo and auto-reverse. Speed: 3-3/4 and 7-1/2.

Teac 3340 S, is a 4-track multi track machine with sync funtion for laying track after track in sync. A studio recorder, but can be used for "normal " use if you want.
Speed: 7-1/2 and 15. Early to mid 70's model.
Check head wear and if all 4 channels is working correctly.
Many times these has a broken pc-board behind the head-cover for switching between the channels... a bump on the switch and goodbye pc-board.. a new board cost $ 130.00 + labor.

Teac X-1000 R is the newest one with more bells and whistles like auto-reverse, recording both ways, built in DBX function, digital counter, return to zero function, pitch control and more, but prices are higher then all the other 3 models you mentioned.
A gentleman contacted me yesterday wanted to sell a non-functional X-1000 R for $ 500.00 + shipping, notice Ebay with high prices for this model, but be careful as many times they don't work correctly on arrival.

Of course the best part is to find a non touched, low hour deck, then a good chunk of money is a good idea. :)

That clears up a LOT of questions...thanks!

I have no need to use 15 ips, so the slower speed models are preferred. Use will be taping LPs and CDs, and radio broadcasts.

Love them spinnin' reels...

No one better than Rolf (Vintage)

I have several Teacs. Own a 4300 the smaller brother to the 6300. Nice sounding deck. Other Teacs you might look at are the 1230 ( got one for $37 and cleaned her up. Great sound has developed an electrical noise on record :cry: Supposed to rain here in southern NY and I may take a look under the hood. May just need a switch cleaning. Its been 3 yrs since I got her. Its the one in my Avatar. Also look at the 2300 series. Had one of those. Nice decks too. Have fun. Ran my big 7010 tonight through my backup Pioneer SX 6000. Unit one has developed a popping noise when I shut her down. Just got my back up cleaned up and ready--just in time! The Teac sounds great through it! Another Sun project is to put a Sara Vaughan LP on tape and my CD copies for the all my CD friends :rofl: Little do they know!

Good luck...Eric

They're all great machines. Depends on what tape speeds you need most. The 3340S has 7.5 and 15 ips. The track width is the same on all the machines you have to choose from (1/16") is the benifit of 15 ips is minimal.

Stereofisher: Your popping problem most likely is the power switch. Clean with Deoxit. The spark killer may also be the problem. Check if there is carbon deposits on it. It's also possible that the power supply has a defective capacitor.
The noise on record may be a defective component on the record amplifier board.
BTW. Where in NY are you located? PM me if you don't wish to post here.

Ron

Looking at my 1230 today....Looking for big RTR's

Just got done packing up a Zenith TA 3000 radio for shipping to Terry. Too many projects and Noooo time. Taking a break and jumped on AK. I have the 1230 on the diningroom table hooked to my now backup Pioneer SX 6000. Thought it might be the on-off switch. Ron, like you said it may be in the power supply but I made a tape and afterwards I played several tapes and it did not make a peep. And it was fine on side two of the tape I made. So we shall see. I do basic repairs but need a mentor like Sam Chaiet was in the 60's. Too bad he was old. Died in the 80's :sigh: Like a Dad to me and he knew this stuff and liked doing it for a living! God I miss him. I think of him when I use a trick he taught me to get something to work :thmbsp: I live in upstate NY around Kinston here in Ulster County. Where a kid shot up a Best Buy store.

After thinking about it over night try to find a 6300, like Rolf suggested. I like the little brother a lot...the 4300. If you want to lower the costs go for the 4300, its a 7 inch version of the 6300. I do have a 7010 and its been good. Had the beast three years now. Still have not gottena round to adjusting the brakes on the left reel. One of these days. Actually had it on the table to check it out and needed it for playback and hooked her back up. The brakes are only a problem on rewind and I use my hand on the reel. Dont laugh guys.

Whatever you get make sure the seller packs it WELL!! Both my beloved 1230 and the 7010 had minor damage. Fixable but a nuisance :thumbsdn: The big machines are very heavy and if you can find one locally get it. Again good luck!!

Eric.

boUddha,
You won't go wrong with any of them. Get them all! Only kidding.
Good luck with your choise.

Eric,
Play the deck for a few hours. The problem may return. Then again, it may not for a while. Intermittent problems are the worst.
Ron

stereofisher-

I got the 7" covered with a TEAC 4010S that's like new, and a very serviceable RT 707.

I need big wheels!

jblmar-

"Get them all! Only kidding."...don't laff dawg, I'm on my way! :)

If you already have a nice 4010, a 6300 would look great next to it. :yes:
TE1.jpg

Lower section=
TE9.jpg

Bouddha:
Check eBay for Otari MX5050. That's probably the gold standard in professional R to R. These machines will almost always be 1/2 track stereo (Be sure you don't get a full track mono machine from an old AM broadcaster.) One really cool feature is that most of them have a 1/4 track playback head, and a switch that allows you to play back home formatted tapes. These decks that sold for $3000 new are under $200 on the Bay. Unbelievable!

There is a reason for that, many needs severe work. MX-5050 later model came out with 4 different 1/4 inch machines and 4 head configurations + 7-1/2 and 15 speed.
I have seen many machines beat to death from poor maintenance or used wrong from schools, broadcasting etc.
One nice model is MX-5050 BII-4, this one gives you both recording and playback function on 4-track, but 2-track tapes can also be played as it has a 2-track playback head mounted.
Most has the switch as you mentioned for different heads, but some come without, so be careful.
Only the last letters after MX-5050 gives you the right info, what kind of track configuration that machine has. :smoke:

Here is a MX-5050 BII-4 =
C63

Here is also a MX-5050 but with 2-track rec & playback and 4-track playback =
OT7.jpg

There was also 2 earlier models of MX-5050, both with belt-driven counters and many different track + head configurations. :)

A newer model MX-50 has been seen alot on Ebay lately, it's a pure 2-track machine made 1988 with speed: 7-1/2 and 15. :yes:

Vintage TX said:
That one is already sold, sorry:worried:
I thought you had some leads already on the different models ?

I do... :thmbsp:

Vitavox-

Thanks for the heads up, but I want to round out my TEAC collection first.

wordman001 said:
Don't count the 3300SR out, It is a sweet 10.5" Unit with Auto Reverse. Pretty Compact too- Joe

Among my eBay targets it's first up, but I'm saving most of my efforts for the 6300 as it's being sold by someone with experience servicing/packing these big units for transport.

I'll keep you posted...

bOUddha said:
stereofisher-

I got the 7" covered with a TEAC 4010S that's like new, and a very serviceable RT 707.

I need big wheels!

jblmar-

"Get them all! Only kidding."...don't laff dawg, I'm on my way! :)
The more, the better!
Ron

Back
Top Bottom