Got a DBX 400X Unit

jmiles1960

Spotted a DBX 400X unit on CL in my area for $20 so I grabbed it. Don't know much about its operation; seller told me I can route multiple tape decks into one Input / Output on my receiver, which is exactly what I need. Acts like a switch to handle multiple tape decks.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Yep, got one - been using it for a while. You can connect 3 tape decks, a noise reduction unit, and 3 sound processors (such as EQ, DBX, ect) and activate/deactivate any or all of them and dub between any of the decks.

You got a good deal. No, a great deal! Someone has a new in box dbx 400X on Boston Craig's List now for $200. Nice unit but that's a high price. I'm happy with the dbx 200 I found a year ago for $30.

I have a 200 also, and I love mine! Dubbing and selecting between three different decks is awesome. I wish it had more than three I/O connections.

Glenn

I've got a 400 and love it to death too. Have my whole signature routed through one. :music:

Great. Thanks for the feedback. For the price, I knew it had to do something and couldn't pass it up.

:thmbsp: Good Find. I paid that for a Realistic Tape Control box (plastic).I was suprised the cheep Rat Shack passive box is quiet on all 3 analog recorders. A few months ago when I was looking at all the DBX400 series on Epay they were at least $100.00 and up so I tried the $20.00 one. Let me know if you use the DBX NR feature and how it sounds on a R2R. I wanted to try the DBX NR as I have used the Dolby on my Revox and I usually turn it off. It softens the higher tones.

It should have a plug on it and the buttons on the front light up.

Just so you know, it's actually a passive unit and does NOT need the unit plugged in to work. The only reason it "needs" power is to power the lights. If you don't want or care about the lights, you can keep it unplugged and it will work just fine.

I stumbled onto that by accident.

:thmbsp: Good Find. I paid that for a Realistic Tape Control box (plastic).I was suprised the cheep Rat Shack passive box is quiet on all 3 analog recorders. A few months ago when I was looking at all the DBX400 series on Epay they were at least $100.00 and up so I tried the $20.00 one. Let me know if you use the DBX NR feature and how it sounds on a R2R. I wanted to try the DBX NR as I have used the Dolby on my Revox and I usually turn it off. It softens the higher tones.

I have the dbx 200 with a 224 noise reduction unit in the mix. I have only used it for one tape, but I like it better than the dolby on the Revox. I too usually record without dolby, but will be doing more with the dbx.

I like the 200, picked one up for $40 off of CL, then got another 200 and the 224 for $100. I got them because I started using a Dynaco PAS2 preamp with only one tape input. And since I have 2 A77s, I needed it for dubbing. Then I added a cassette deck to pull some songs off of the few cassettes I have.

Love the way I can go from any deck to any other with a couple of settings changes. Still have to play with going from one deck to another using dbx noise reduction though.

I did have an issue with the connections at first, but I found the manuals online and that cleared everything up. (I had the 224 plugged in backwards somehow)

Wow..stellar price. I just bought a minty one off ebay and paid $80 with shipping! Money in the bank if you don't use it!I have a 400x, 200 and a 224 in the mancave setup. Super units!

I have the dbx 200 with a 224 noise reduction unit in the mix. I have only used it for one tape, but I like it better than the dolby on the Revox. I too usually record without dolby, but will be doing more with the dbx.

I like the 200, picked one up for $40 off of CL, then got another 200 and the 224 for $100. I got them because I started using a Dynaco PAS2 preamp with only one tape input. And since I have 2 A77s, I needed it for dubbing. Then I added a cassette deck to pull some songs off of the few cassettes I have.

Love the way I can go from any deck to any other with a couple of settings changes. Still have to play with going from one deck to another using dbx noise reduction though.

I did have an issue with the connections at first, but I found the manuals online and that cleared everything up. (I had the 224 plugged in backwards somehow)

Thanks I will look for a 200 and save some $$ as I just wanted to link up two R2R and my cassette so I can record from TT or a CD.And have a nice looking metal tape controller not my small plastic box...hey it works quiet. Our AK member "Tinman" restored my late Dad's A-77 Mk IV Dolby last year ...wow it's like it was back in 1979 when I use to play with it.:music: I have several small Akai R2R I have owned for years. I had a Akai GX-747 DBX that I sold many years ago and Dad kept the A-77. Glad he did now it sure has a warm accurate tone to it for a 1/4 track 7 1/2 IPS. I always thought Pop's Revox sounded better then my 747DBX . Friend made me offer for it I could not turn down back then. Next year a I will look for a Otari MX-5050BIII-2 with both head stacks... 15 IPS 1/2 track is like the source you recorded from. Friend has a Studer A820 WOW fast and quiet and Super sounding.But it eats a large reel fast at 15 IPS is the down side.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on my DBX 400X purchase.

A couple of questions:

1. I don't see a power button. So it stays "on" all the time as long as it's plugged in?

2. I need to buy the external DBX noise reduction unit separately? Noise reduction is not built into the 400X, right?

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's feedback on my DBX 400X purchase.

A couple of questions:

1. I don't see a power button. So it stays "on" all the time as long as it's plugged in?

2. I need to buy the external DBX noise reduction unit separately? Noise reduction is not built into the 400X, right?

Thanks!

1: The power is just for the lighting.
The switching and signal routing is passive. You can unplug it if you like.

2: Correct, there is no built-in NR

That is the only negative on the 400 over the 200, that if you plug it in the LEDs are always lit, and there is no combination I can find that has them all off. If you don't plug it in, while it still works perfectly, it is pretty hard to tell what is switched on/off vs the at aglance 200. The 400 is more versatile in that you can direct NR and sound processing pre/post/copy and exclude, and doesn't need jumpers to bypass the NR loop, unlikethe 200. I may add a power button to mine.

Back
Top Bottom