Got a Favorite AK Thread? A kind of Mini-Forum? Post About It Here

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
There are some very popular threads here at AK. These threads are almost communities of their very own. Some of them are even not audio related. There is camaraderie, openness, familiarity, a welcoming attitude, etc.

Do you have a favorite thread? One where you actually spend a good percentage of your time? A thread where the fit is just right? A thread with a sort of life of its own?

Point us to the thread. What do you like about it? Are there any special members that hang out there? What percentage of your time do you spend there?

What is the magic of the thread?

Enjoy,
Rich P

PS, Please include a link to the thread you are discussing.
The search function is not always as productive as one would like.

This thread will be maintained in a pristine, positive state. Also, please do your best to stay on topic, keeping general conversation to a minimum.

Last edited:
OK. I'll start.

For me, my favorite thread, bar none, is actually not audio-related. It is related to stimulating one's senses, however. It is the "Show Us Your Dinner" thread.

I come to that thread as a frustrated chef. I will say this, if having a restaurant was just about making people happy with food, I would have been doing that for 30 years by now. Unfortunately, having a restaurant is much, much more: vendors, municipal regulations and interference, interpersonal politics and drama, etc. So...I decided on electronic and software engineering, instead.

I remain a frustrated chef. I do enjoy entertaining: having friends over and making them happy with music, food, conversation, etc. This provides my outlet, regarding food.

This thread has so many fine contributors, from professional chefs, to gifted home food wizards. The contributions are inspirational, and spark me to greater heights and, sometimes, risks. Things don't always turn out as planned, but learning is always happening. I have a funny ability. I don't know if it is a common one, but, if you tell me what is in something, I can taste it, as long as I am familiar with the ingredients. This thread is so full of wonderful tastes, it is like an addictive drug for me. Just in case the ability is shared by others, I post my creations also.

There are presentations from, literally, all over the world, and an unbelievable collection of cultures: Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle-East, Africa, Latin America, and more. There are every-day foods, and rare festival foods. There are outright experiments, and trusted stand-bys.

Some of the heavy hitters in this thread are:

@trhee : A very accomplished and inspiring chef, in an embassy in Korea. This fellow has provoked me to expand my horizons, and add presentation to my cooking. I have been moved to try out many of his dishes.

@sKiZo : A down-to-earth fellow with a bend toward Eastern European foods (my family heritage is plucked here). He also makes some nice, down home favorites that get your taste buds dancing.

@jimfet : Sometimes this fellow just blows my mind. Dinner at his place would be a treat, indeed.

@K_50 : A member from Denmark, whose creations are certainly worthy, and actually quite difficult to render correctly.

@onepixel : This fellow's range, and willingness to explore is amazing

@bobsvinyl : If you want tasty food that will stick to your ribs and make you smile, try this fellows contributions

@chicks : This fellow appears to like to explore and experiment. His presentations have frequently inspired me to try something new.

It would simply not be possible to list them all, but there are indeed legion.

You know that feeling you get, where you have a taste for something, but don't know what it is? Drop into the "Show Us Your Dinner" thread. You just might find what it is you are craving.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
"What Are You Listening To Right Now?"... Simply the best thread ever. Minimal snark. Bizarre sense of humor. People truly LOVE music there and remember that audio is the beginning of the journey and not the end. Best of all everybody cares for one another (I've seen less camaraderie in some churches.)

Then again, on the darker side they are keeping me broke with awesome musical suggestions (sigh :rolleyes:)

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

Last edited:
For me, my favorite thread, bar none, is actually not audio-related. It is related to stimulating one's senses, however. It is the "Show Us Your Dinner" thread.

Thanx for the flowers and good to see the thread still going strong. Your professional roots certainly do show in your posts.

In case anyone's wondering where I went off to, been in and out of hospitals since June courtesy of a motorcycle accident. Latest was a total reverse replacement shoulder just last week that's got me down to eating TV dinners, no less. ARGHHHHHHH!!!

On the bright side, that's the last of the major slice 'n dice required to patch me up. Still a few tweaks needed, but nothing that can't be put off for a while.

PS - I ended up losing about 40 pounds since the accident. Great diet, but not one I'd recommend ... ;-}

I have to agree with both Rich P and DeeCee. "Show Us Your Dinner" and "What Are You Listening To Right Now?" are my two favorite threads. "What Are You Listening To Right Now?" is almost like a living thing as the posts come fast and furious 24/7. An excellent place to discover new music and rediscover music that you may have forgotten. It's a really cool place to "hang out."

-Dave

"What Are You Listening To Right Now?"... Simply the best thread ever. Minimal snark. Bizarre since of humor. People truly LOVE music there and remember that audio is the beginning of the journey and not the end. Best of all everybody cares for one another (I've seen less camaraderie in some churches.)

Then again, on the darker side they are keeping me broke with awesome musical suggestions (sigh :rolleyes:)

Happy Listening!
DeeCee
Ditto. Great informal friendly tone. @OnTheBlitz seems to be the mysterious force behind it and I get more likes there than I get on my home turf:

Today's INDIE Playlist

I don't really stay in one thread for long but do see how some of them are home for lots of members. That is the site for them and fill their needs of what they want here so it's a good thing.

I would say the What are you Listening To Right Now? thread is fun and while I'll look though it I don't post a lot there. But that's just me and the way I normally listen to music, not taking the time to do photos or anything like that. What I really like about it is, it's so open compared to mostly all the other music threads. Most of them there are stipulations as to what your using to listen to, what kind of music, what format, not this one, anything goes. That's appealing to many people who are not so stuck in one mindset and just want to share what they are enjoying.

I'v started a few music threads and they are fun in learning about other artist that you may not have known about. I find a lot of people that may not post much on the site do read and listen to the music threads as evident by likes, quotes and added comments over time.

Great idea for a thread. First and foremost a big thanks to those who make the threads so informative.
Music forum, no question. Why? I can get turned on to music and artists I haven't heard yet. Which one? Man. that is a tough one. Being a blues freak, I guess the Today's Blues Playlist is my favorite. I've got over 500 posts in it, and @bluestime probably has more.
Other favorites are Garage, Indie, Vinyl, Psychedelic, Surf, Live, and Rockabilly Playlists.

I don't have a favorite. I have about a 10 way tie. The thing I like about AK is the variety. You can read about repairing gear, genres of music, play games, enjoy new recipes, check out cars, you name it. It's like a virtual mall. You can come in and find something of interest on any given day.

I do spend more time than I should in the gaming forum, especially at You Get the Last Word. It has been the gathering place for all the members who really need their meds increased. What Are You Listening to Right Now has been a relatively new stop for me, but it is a great place to hang out and discover new music. Psych Freak Out, Prog and some other music threads are fun. The Concert Poster of the Day is a real challenge, trying to locate posters for shows that were held on the same day as today's date.

The members make this site so addictive. I've been fortunate enough to meet about 7 or 8 AKers on a regular basis. I've made friends with hobbyists from around the world. I've cut back on my internet travels over the past few years and AK is about the only forum I visit on a daily basis. Keep up the good work everybody!

Back
Top Bottom