Got a Fisher 304 Quad, for nostalgia

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by stereofisher, Jun 8, 2018.

1. stereofisher

stereofisher For the Love of the Music Subscriber

EB5D3833-46EB-4444-BD54-EF335AAE187C.jpeg Had one briefly back in 1974. Forgot how heavy these were. Weighs a ton. Bought off Eprey for $96 including shipping! Something to play with. Don’t know if I will keep it. Have someone with no money that it might go to. Anyone have one of these? Thing seems to work ok. Not bad cosmetically. That’s the problem when you remember model numbers. You get curious and look what’s out there. Needed it like a hole in the head.

Eric

F0427ea1 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

KCDONOHUE gave me this HUGE Sears by FISHER QUAD Unit about 6 months ago. Turns out it was literally a Model 634 with Sear's changes to the front panel. Heavier than either my 800c or Sansui 1000A. Works pretty good too. Only 30W per in to 8ohms, but what the hell, only a couple of my rigs are more than that anyway. It's a keeper. I dated it to 1977-78 from Newspaper ads. But the 634 by FISHER is dated to 1974-75. So it looks like either Sears got the left overs and sold them a year or two behind, or these ad's were clearance ad's getting rid of them.

3. F0427ea1

F0427ea1 New Member

that's a 304B you got there , got 2 304's here (1972 vintage), nice sounding receivers , still very under rated IMHO . some of the first receivers to use Sanyo STK's for amplification (chip amp) . mine is still going strong , haven't done anything with it except a led lamp conversion and a good cleaning , DC offset is running about 30mv a channel (last time I checked). my only complaint would be having no tone controls for the rear channels unless the SQ decoder is engaged , but that's how they were designed. 304.JPG

4. stereofisher

stereofisher For the Love of the Music Subscriber

Hooked it up this morning. Great start of the day. It went where my Marantzis in my avatar. Tight spot. It’s next to my night stand with my late mother’s antique lamp. Broke the lamp shade. Not in a great mood . I only listen to one NPR station and it’s noisy. It’s an indoor ant in the attic. Somewhere I have a break in the cable. We occasionally have mice. So I have a 6 foot piece of wire. So much for FM.

Hooked up my Dual 1219. Tied the Fisher to my JBL L26s. Sounds really good. For now, I will use my phone app for my NPR station. Tried that. Sounds good with the iPhone. Has two aux inputs tied a CD player to it, though I seldom play them. Running a Kenwood 1030 cassette deck that I didn’t have time to check. Last I have an XM setup. It sounds just ok. Not the Fishers fault though.

For $96 dollars landed not bad. Will use until my 2270 comes back. Can’t believe these weigh 39 lbs! Something different to play with. A return to 1974! Wasn’t impressed with the Fisher speakers back then. Flipped it.

F0427ea1 likes this.