Got a scare tonight

derekva

This ain't no picnic...
Subscriber
I decided to fire up my 800c (as part of my home theater) to watch a bit of Star Wars (Ep. IV) with my son. As I turned on the Fisher, there was a very loud POP! and a flash of light from under the right side of the receiver. I quickly powered it off and unhooked it (after turning on Star Wars for my son - he can use the TV speakers) and took it over to the bench. After cracking the case and searching for any burnt components and smelling for smoke, I finally found...some charred spider legs. It seems Charlotte decided to climb into my receiver and happened to be touching both the B+ and ground when I powered the Fisher on.

On the plus side, having the Fisher on the bench allowed me to replace the 1.2k power resistor, add a CL-90 (that finally arrived from Mouser 8 weeks after I ordered it) to the AC line and rebias the receiver (since the EH7591 tubes have burned in by now) so it was probably the universe's way of getting me to do this maintenance. :thmbsp:

-D

She was probably humming Debbie Boone's "You light up my life" too........

Glad the 800's ok.

Larry

There is a sect of Voodoo that believes everything - machine, project, whatever, cries out for a blood sacrifice. Either you make a proper sacrifice (usually a chicken) to appease this hungry spirit beforehand, or else it will find a time of its choosing, and take a sacrifice of its own choosing. Either way, once its blood-thirst has been satisfied, it is said to have been "blooded", and then it should be safe to use. I'm guessing the people at the Fisher factory forgot to "blood" your receiver, and it chose the spider as a satisfactory sacrifice. So look on the good side; now you can enjoy your Fisher without worrying that it might choose you or your son as its victim; it has already been "blooded"! :yes: :D

She was probably humming Debbie Boone's "You light up my life" too........

Glad the 800's ok.

Larry

That song is among the top five on my list of "Songs I cannot stand to hear, which will send me screaming from the room in distress, hands clamped firmly over my ears." WAY, WAY over-played back "in the day", leaving me over-sensitized to something I didn't like much in the first place. Michael Jackson's "Ben" is another one like that.

Back
Top Bottom