Got a speaker with a Vifa 8" woofer with rubber surround? I need your help!

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
I have been talking with a source of speaker parts- and they now have access to some models of rubber speaker surrounds.

One that I'm really interested in getting, is the one that goes on the famous old Vifa P21 8" speakers, various versions. On these, there should be a number on the edge of the surround of the format "SRxxx/x" or something similar.

Any of you out there who have speakers with Vifa 8" poly-cone woofers with rubber surrounds- the narrow-roll type- would you do me the favor of looking at the outer edge of the rubber surround, reading off the number, and posting ir up here? I'd like to be able to let them know, so they can order the correct surrounds from the manufacturer...

Thanks!

Regards,
Gordon.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for. I've got Vandersteen 2ces -- I believe the front woofer may be a Vifa, and on the surround it says "SR 185/13"

There are a couple out there that I have come across. Vanersteen, KEF, and believe it or not, I even bought some 8" woofers that were supposed to be for my Snell speakers and they too had rubber surrounds. The Snell purists say it's not correct. All I know it that the back of the speakers were marked E II.

Vandys use a now defunct P21wo10 and a p21wo23 which is now only available as the p21wo20 and its a dead match ..

I don't know if this is what you're looking for. I've got Vandersteen 2ces -- I believe the front woofer may be a Vifa, and on the surround it says "SR 185/13"

Thanks! That's exactly the sort of number I needed. I will check that out.

Regards,
Gordon.

I worked with MWA in a similar fashion a couple of years ago to get them to buy and stock foam from Europe for the Snell Vifa M21 WN 07 woofers.

My mission 770 Freedoms need surrounds, but I have been unable to find the correct part. I did find the number, it is SR/185/9, But I don’t know where to find the actual part, can you guys help?

I have a number of old Vifa P13's that have hardened surrounds. An upgrade for them would be handy. I have a couple of replacement rubber surrounds from eBay. They aren't an exact fit but close. Haven't tried them yet. It would be good to get replacements made from a better material that doesn't age harden like the original Vifa surrounds.

Pete B this is for Mission 770s, which use the M21WJ woofers, I just noticed this thread I saw about the wrong driver. The surrounds actually are very soft and havent hardened, but the original owner of the speakers left them in the heat or something and the glue is deteriorating. I had the surround replaced on one of them, and the “professional” did not do it right and got glue in the roll part of the surround, so it can not move well and hits it’s limits even at low excursions, so I wanna try to do it again. I cannot find any rubber surrounds, all I’ve found that would fit are foam surrounds, and I would prefer to not downgrade my speakers. I just can’t find parts. Mission was no help, and simply speakers just led me to the same foam surround I had looked at before, so I was wondering if you guys know where I can source one.
Thanks,
Micah

Reviving the thread,... curious what others have found and if @GordonW found what he was looking for?

Secured a pair of Snell J (originals). I really didn't take note of the woofer surrounds when purchased and was told that they 'probably' had been re-done which is sacrilege to Snell developers. I like Snell and the sound.

The surrounds on my speakers look fine and feel like foam. They have the SR 185 / 13 stamped on them. See pics. Wondering what the consensus was on correct surrounds or not, and rubber vs. foam from the factory. These feel like foam to me.

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

^^^^I'm not gonna mess with them.
Just wanted some affirmation that these were correct.
@botrytis 's comment has me scratching my head and thinking a bit because if these are original then they sure lasted a long time.

Back
Top Bottom