Got an LD question

Vintage_Hi-F

Vintage Audio Geek
Ok I know pioneer's (specifically the elite) are very desirable players ((they did invent the format) but, but they are far to expensive for what you get. But I was wondering if any one has any suggestions for players that are good that don't cost a fortune, players that fly under the radar if you will.

I've heard decent things about the Magnavox CDV-474 and it's twin the Phillips CDV-475 but I would like to know if either of them is a worth while purchase. For the record I plan on running them through an PC before sending them to a TV to de-interlace the video as well as through the tuners comb filter. Any suggestion would be welcome.

Last edited:
I do not have any personal experience with the D701. I can, however state that a lot of these late 80's players were not as good when compared to players made in the early 80's. I have had personal expereince with a CLD-3070, a CLD-S104 and then 3 different Elite players, a CLD-95,CLD-97 and a LD-S2. The 95 was my favorite but the consensus is the 97 was the benchmark player. If you can find one of these in good working condition, you'd not regret it.

From what I can recall back in the day, the CLD-D704 was a very respectable player even though it was not of the build quality of the Elite players of the same time. You pick up an Elite player and you know right away that the build quality was about second to none. The other players felt cheap in comparison and they were also a lot noisier.

I do not have any personal experience with the D701. I can, however state that a lot of these late 80's players were not as good when compared to players made in the early 80's. I have had personal expereince with a CLD-3070, a CLD-S104 and then 3 different Elite players, a CLD-95,CLD-97 and a LD-S2. The 95 was my favorite but the consensus is the 97 was the benchmark player. If you can find one of these in good working condition, you'd not regret it.

From what I can recall back in the day, the CLD-D704 was a very respectable player even though it was not of the build quality of the Elite players of the same time. You pick up an Elite player and you know right away that the build quality was about second to none. The other players felt cheap in comparison and they were also a lot noisier.

Yeah I'd like to get an Elite at some point (and matching Elite stereo components) but I'm really not going to pay in the neighborhood of $500 plus shipping to do so, at least not right now. I think I'll give the 701 a shot, it's specs seam respectable from what I've been able to find. On the early 80's players, I've heard they're built well but there picture and audio quality leaves a bit to bee desired. I've read that you should stick to 1985 and later players to get the best picture and audio quality, even if the build quality is lower at times. Though Best Buy did stop carrying LD players when I was 5 so what do I really know about them. Thanks for the input though Duane, I'll keep it in mind as I continue to search for an Elite.

Last edited:
Found this site this morning and he says the same thing. http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/guides/laserdisc-guide/

Whats you're opinion of the 701, there are a few in my area for a nice price.

I recommend you follow the advice at that link. I have owned a few LD players, and my experience with them fits perfectly with the advice given there. I would not buy a player that was not mentioned and recommended there.

Here is another useful site, though I like better the one to which you already provided a link:

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

I would not buy a player built before the 1990's, and I would stick to models recommended at the link you already gave.

With LD, it is an analog format (other than the non-original audio), and like with all analog formats, the player makes a big difference.

Here is another useful site, though I like better the one to which you already provided a link:

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

I saw that site years ago (and I forgot about it), thanks for posting the link.

I would not buy a player built before the 1990's, and I would stick to models recommended at the link you already gave.

Yeah from what I've read the cut off point is 1986/87 thats when most of the really nice Elite players cam out, though as I said I don't have the disposable income necessary to get one right now.

With LD, it is an analog format (other than the non-original audio), and like with all analog formats, the player makes a big difference.

Yeah that's one of the things I've read when getting into this format. Hence why I've been looking for a good player for the past 2 years. You wouldn't believe the number of machines I've passed up.

I saw that site years ago (and I forgot about it), thanks for posting the link.

Yeah from what I've read the cut off point is 1986/87 thats when most of the really nice Elite players cam out, though as I said I don't have the disposable income necessary to get one right now.

Yeah that's one of the things I've read when getting into this format. Hence why I've been looking for a good player for the past 2 years. You wouldn't believe the number of machines I've passed up.

I believe any of the Pioneer players from the mid 1990's would be better than most of the players ever made. My Pioneer CLD-D505 is vastly superior to an older Sony that it replaced, and the difference between it and my Pioneer Elite CLD-79 is relatively trivial by comparison.

To keep from having to remember model numbers, if one buys a Pioneer that plays both sides without turning the disc over and it has a Dolby AC-3 output, it will not be a bad player if it is functioning properly. (Playing both sides without turning the disc will mean it isn't a bottom of the line player, and it can't be that old if it has an AC-3 output.) One would miss some good players with this simplified approach (see your link for a list approach), and one might have only a merely good player instead of a great one (if, for example, one gets a CLD-D505), but it will not be a bad one if it is functioning properly. I found my CLD-D505 in a thrift store, and bought the remote for it off of ebay. The total price was probably less than $50, though I have not been seeing LD players much in thrift stores lately where I now live. But you can probably get one like it for relatively little money, as it is not highly sought after, and it is pretty good. Not great, but much better than most. (It is one of the "average" players at the link you provided. It is certainly not one to be avoided, but it is not one of the truly great players.)

Here is another link that you might find useful:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/default.htm

I believe any of the Pioneer players from the mid 1990's would be better than most of the players ever made. My Pioneer CLD-D505 is vastly superior to an older Sony that it replaced, and the difference between it and my Pioneer Elite CLD-79 is relatively trivial by comparison.

To keep from having to remember model numbers, if one buys a Pioneer that plays both sides without turning the disc over and it has a Dolby AC-3 output, it will not be a bad player if it is functioning properly. (Playing both sides without turning the disc will mean it isn't a bottom of the line player, and it can't be that old if it has an AC-3 output.) One would miss some good players with this simplified approach (see your link for a list approach), and one might have only a merely good player instead of a great one (if, for example, one gets a CLD-D505), but it will not be a bad one if it is functioning properly. I found my CLD-D505 in a thrift store, and bought the remote for it off of ebay. The total price was probably less than $50, though I have not been seeing LD players much in thrift stores lately where I now live. But you can probably get one like it for relatively little money, as it is not highly sought after, and it is pretty good. Not great, but much better than most. (It is one of the "average" players at the link you provided. It is certainly not one to be avoided, but it is not one of the truly great players.)

Here is another link that you might find useful:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/default.htm

I'm actually going to take a look at the CLD-701 on friday, it the predisessor to the CLD-704 and it seams to be an above average player; S/N ration >50 Db, S-video, Optical Audio (I believe that's AC-3), Dual Side play, active noise reduction, Cinema Mode (to shut off front display) not that complex but I think this is the only non-Elite player I've seen with the feature, and . Yeah the LD player market is kind dead around here as well, though I do kinda live out in the sticks so....anyways, I really do appreciate the help you guys have given me. I'll keep you guys posted on how everything shakes out. Hopefully by friday evening I'll have joined the exclusive LaserDisc owners club, can't wait to watch my copy of Once Upon a Time In The West.

Last edited:
My current player isn't too bad (CLD-S105). It's pretty basic, but it has a good picture, great sound, and it's pretty reliable.

Just make sure you have a good cable for the video out. Composite only. Cables really make a difference on video.

My current player isn't too bad (CLD-S105). It's pretty basic, but it has a good picture, great sound, and it's pretty reliable.

Just make sure you have a good cable for the video out. Composite only. Cables really make a difference on video.

The site I listed earlier mentions the S104 (guessing it's the predecessor) and says it's an excellent no frills player that delivers excellent picture and sound for it's price. I think there was one on ebay this morning for 15 bucks in the box, if any one is interested.

Remember that anything that applies to the CLD-D704 also includes the CLD-D703, which is the same thing without AC3 decoding. They both have a TBC. The 703/704 were subject to trailing smearing, which most other models don't exhibit. The CLD-1010 is an older model that is also very good and is similar to the Elite S1. Except for the one very top model, and the industrial line, Sony made the worst laserdisc players.

Don't overlook Yamaha, the CLV1000 and CLV1100 were very good. The latter can give a superb picture after a simple noise canceller mod.

I have a Pioneer CLD-s205 which was made in 2001. Though a basic machine, it has the best picture of any player I've seen. But it's rare.

The site I listed earlier mentions the S104 (guessing it's the predecessor) and says it's an excellent no frills player that delivers excellent picture and sound for it's price. I think there was one on ebay this morning for 15 bucks in the box, if any one is interested.

I would be happier with the S105 if it had S-video output, but that's the only bone of contention I have with it. Other than that, it has been an excellent player since I bought it in 1997.
I think you're right on the S104 being a predecessor.

Laserdisc was in fact developed by MCA and Philips jointly. Pioneer didn't have stake in it until 1983 because the initial presings by Philips & MCA known as "Discovision" were of extremely poor quality due to being manufactured in an unclean facility. It is what it is, considering how much workmanship went into those behemoth players and the sheer quality of the internal components, you can begin to understand why they cost so much. I had a Sony MDP-600 and sorry to say it was a clunky, problematic thing, I ended up giving it away. It had a "cloudy" picture and no matter what I did, from adjusting the video settings, to having it sent directly to Sony for diagnostic repair. Got it back and still the same dam cloudy picture. I'll stick with the Pioneers, thank you very much. Steer clear of the entry level players such as the CLD-S301, as they only play one side, however, the commercial units CLD-V2400/2600/2800 also play one side, but they are built like tanks compared to the residential S300 Series. The good ones are always gonna cost ya, unless you are extremely lucky and find one at a thrift/flea/estate sale for peanuts. I have had alot of LD players and toyed around with them since 1997. The CLD-2080/3090, CLD-95, CLD-D503/501/530/590, CLD-M5, CLD-V2600, CLD-D701/790, CLD-S301, and a few others I can't remember ATM.

Edit: Ahh I remember now, the DVL-V888 Karaoke machine and even the LD player that had the Sega Genesis front end, of which I can't remember the model # but it'll come to me later.

I am particularly fond of the final iteration of the LD players, the DVL Series, of which can play DVD's as well. My favorite being the DVL-909, followed by my DVL-91, DVL-919, DVL-90 & DVL-700. To me the 909 is the best bang for the buck, having Component DVD output, and high compatibility, even playing DVD-R & CD-R media. The 909 is the only DVL player to sport a black anodized aluminum front fascia. Even so, without Component output for the DVL-90 & DVL-700 their picture quality is impeccably clean & clear with a superb comb filter and hi-bit processor capabilities.

Last edited:
I would be happier with the S105 if it had S-video output, but that's the only bone of contention I have with it. Other than that, it has been an excellent player since I bought it in 1997.
I think you're right on the S104 being a predecessor.

Y/C output is absolutely irrelevant. Laserdisc is a COMPOSITE format, like NTSC broadcast TV, meaning any Y/C separation has to be done by a comb filter circuit. The chances are that the comb filter in your CRT TV will be better than the one in the player. Even better are the digital comb filters in modern widescreen sets, they are totally superior to a player's 2 or three line analog filter. When I was capturing laserdisc to PC I used the composite output and fed it into a DPS TBC which had excellent digital separation of luma and chroma.

Anyway, most modern TVs don't even have a Y/C connector, just Composite, component, HDMI, etc..

Last edited:
It is what it is, considering how much workmanship went into those behemoth players and the sheer quality of the internal components, you can begin to understand why they cost so much.

I understand the you gotta pay to play but some of those players are going for full blown OEM retail prices. I'm sorry but an LD-S2 is not worth $2500 anymore, it may have cost that in 1989 when it was new but not over 20 years later. Same goes for the DVL-909, I've seen a few for around $250-$350 not a bad deal but more often than not they are in the $700-$800 range. I'm fine with laying down a couple hundred ($300 or so) but I think that the fact that they are Pioneer "Elite" players is what makes them so "desirable". I'll take a step down from the CLD-79 any day over draining my bank account for a LD-S2.

I understand the you gotta pay to play but some of those players are going for full blown OEM retail prices. I'm sorry but an LD-S2 is not worth $2500 anymore, it may have cost that in 1989 when it was new but not over 20 years later. Same goes for the DVL-909, I've seen a few for around $250-$350 not a bad deal but more often than not they are in the $700-$800 range. I'm fine with laying down a couple hundred ($300 or so) but I think that the fact that they are Pioneer "Elite" players is what makes them so "desirable". I'll take a step down from the CLD-79 any day over draining my bank account for a LD-S2.
Yeah, I'm with ya. The CLD-95 and DVL-91 were $2000 new and from what I remember the S1/S2's were like $3000+. Ever looked at the Japanese "Muse" ones? Now those are insane, and For a short time Pioneer Japan even made a LDHD player, yep, thats right a High Definition LD player, lol! which from what I gather, were like $5000 MSRP. :yikes:

I'm actually going to take a look at the CLD-701 on friday, it the predisessor to the CLD-704 and it seams to be an above average player; S/N ration >50 Db, S-video, Optical Audio (I believe that's AC-3), Dual Side play, active noise reduction, Cinema Mode (to shut off front display) not that complex but I think this is the only non-Elite player I've seen with the feature, and . Yeah the LD player market is kind dead around here as well, though I do kinda live out in the sticks so....anyways, I really do appreciate the help you guys have given me. I'll keep you guys posted on how everything shakes out. Hopefully by friday evening I'll have joined the exclusive LaserDisc owners club, can't wait to watch my copy of Once Upon a Time In The West.

I think I would avoid it:

The Pioneer CLD-D704 is very similar to the CLD-79 despite a very different face-plate. It’s the best non-Elite player they ever made. It’s build quality isn’t as heavy as the 79′s and it’s analog audio section isn’t quite as good but it’s pic quality is right there with the 79′s. The CLD-D703 is the same as the 704 except it’s a year older and lacks an AC-3 output. The CLD-D702 is still a year older and it’s 3-line comb filter isn’t quite as good. It’s composite output is very above average. The still older CLD-D701 is a cut below the 702 and is much less desirable. It also has a reputation for breakdowns. I’d recommend avoiding it. Did I say it’s pretty old now too? [emphasis added]​

http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/guides/laserdisc-guide/

Last edited:
Y/C output is absolutely irrelevant. Laserdisc is a COMPOSITE format, like NTSC broadcast TV, meaning any Y/C separation has to be done by a comb filter circuit. The chances are that the comb filter in your CRT TV will be better than the one in the player. Even better are the digital comb filters in modern widescreen sets, they are totally superior to a player's 2 or three line analog filter. When I was capturing laserdisc to PC I used the composite output and fed it into a DPS TBC which had excellent digital separation of luma and chroma.

Anyway, most modern TVs don't even have a Y/C connector, just Composite, component, HDMI, etc..

I basically agree. I have a Pioneer Elite CLD-79, which has one of the better comb filters in it (though not the very best ever put in an LD player), and the picture is better with my HDTV when I use the composite connection. But with my old CRT (10-12 years old), it looked better with the S-Video connection. With any decent new TV, I would expect the picture to be better with a composite connection, even if one has a better LD player than mine.

Back
Top Bottom