Got an LD question

I think I would avoid it:

The Pioneer CLD-D704 is very similar to the CLD-79 despite a very different face-plate. It’s the best non-Elite player they ever made. It’s build quality isn’t as heavy as the 79′s and it’s analog audio section isn’t quite as good but it’s pic quality is right there with the 79′s. The CLD-D703 is the same as the 704 except it’s a year older and lacks an AC-3 output. The CLD-D702 is still a year older and it’s 3-line comb filter isn’t quite as good. It’s composite output is very above average. The still older CLD-D701 is a cut below the 702 and is much less desirable. It also has a reputation for breakdowns. I’d recommend avoiding it. Did I say it’s pretty old now too? [emphasis added]​

http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/guides/laserdisc-guide/

I saw that but it's very well priced and it's specs are really very close to the 704's, so I think it may be worth the risk. Though I just got a message about an Elite CLD-59 so the 701 may be on the out.

Last edited:
Well I picked up the CLD-701 this afternoon and all I can say is who needs DVD. I'm really impressed by the picture and audio this player puts out. I'm equally impressed by the de-interlacer in our 47 inch Insignia LCD TV. I can only imagine how it will look on my 50 inch Insignia plasma after being cleaned up by my computer. I'll post some pics later.

Well I picked up the CLD-701 this afternoon and all I can say is who needs DVD. I'm really impressed by the picture and audio this player puts out. I'm equally impressed by the de-interlacer in our 47 inch Insignia LCD TV. I can only imagine how it will look on my 50 inch Insignia plasma after being cleaned up by my computer. I'll post some pics later.

Great! We await for the pics.

As promised. It may not be the most attractive player but it's video output more than makes up for it's average looks.

79864a99.jpg

0e7ef176.jpg

c908176b.jpg

815c1964.jpg

That's my widescreen copy of goldeneye, I may be tempted to sell my DVD copy. :D

As promised. It may not be the most attractive player but it's video output more than makes up for it's average looks.

79864a99.jpg

0e7ef176.jpg

c908176b.jpg

815c1964.jpg

That's my widescreen copy of goldeneye, I may be tempted to sell my DVD copy. :D
Super nice! I have Goldeneye too, on both formats and I prefer watching the LD version. My brother has my 701 now and he loves it.

My first post here...

Nice to see all the love for LD's :yes: -I have a DVL 700 and am quite pleased with it, however it's nice to know that are some better players out there as well, something to look out for.

That's a nice looking d701. :)

I've got the LD player blues. :(
My CLD-3030 has recently decided to stop reading discs and I kinda fell down on my d504(don't ask) and now it dosen't work either. Now it's back to my back up's back up player, the LD-838d. I'll say while they were working I prefered the older 3030, much better build quality for one. The d504 is really cheap in comparison. I didn't notice a big difference between pic quality either.

Back to the OP's question about sleeper players. Stay away from sonys , yamahas are good and panasonics are probably the runners up to pioneers.

Nice to know. I'm checking out my newly-purchased cld-d505 right now. Under 20 smackers...

Well, it plays CDs awesomely. It has a built-in Karaoke function that's interesting. I do not have a microphone for this feature.

I can confirm that the Singing Machine SMM205 microphone works great with the Pioneer CLD-D505

Back
Top Bottom