Got Any Pics of you and Your Systems, Back in the Day?

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
What say you folks post pics of yourself and systems from when you first entered the "I want a nice sounding system" condition. Then post a pic of what your system looks like today. If your pics of your system don't include you, include separate pics of you.

I'll start.

Here is a pic of my system from '76 (I was a GI and the DJ at a Halloween party, in Ramstein, Germany): Pioneer: SA-7500, SG-9500, CT-F9090, TX-7500, JT-215A, PL-12D-II, Phase Linear: PL-1000, Marantz: Imperial 7G (x 2).

Old Rig.jpg

Me without all the party gobbledygook (F4 and RF-4 sensor systems were my game back then, after I was done working SR-71s). I don't think we were supposed to take pictures like this, so don't tell anyone.

Old Richjpg.jpg

Here is recent (hasn't changed for several years): Pioneer: SPEC-4 (x 2), SPEC-1, SG-9500, TX-9500-II, RT-909, DV-50A, DT-500, CT-F1250, CT-F1000, PL-630 (x 2 ), MA-62A, RH-65, HPM-100 (x 6), Phase Linear: PL-1000-II, Teac: AN-300, ASUS A7N8X-based PC, Ritech: RJ-4200, Samsung: SP-R4212, SIR-T451, and a couple of unconnected Pioneer CT-F1000s (awaiting restoration and relocation to a new home)

System 7-22-12.JPG

Here is me, these days.

Rabbi - White.JPG

Or, if you please (and even if you don't)...

Rich & Heidi.jpg

Lets see how you and your systems have evolved, over the years.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Wish I had some pics from back then. Had my first system when I was 13 back in '73. Nice pics, Rich.

1968 for me and it was an all in one job. Played lot's of 45's. All my pic's were of my motorcycles.
I have some of those too. Back then, I rode a 1973 Harley Sportster. I miss that girl. She was so clean.

I'll start a similar thread about you and your motorcycles.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Wish I had some pics from back then. Had my first system when I was 13 back in '73. Nice pics, Rich.
I had the ability to play music much earlier, but I did not get my first serious rig until I got the beginnings of the one you see on top, when I was in USAF Tech School. That system was much more impressive before I gave it all away.

Strange. I gave it all away, because I thought my music appreciation came out of a bong. I gave my life to the Holy One, blessed be He, and gave my system to Him soon thereafter. I did not realize that my music appreciation was better sober, which I discovered during my music resurrection in 2004. I did keep most of my albums and tapes, even though I had no system for so long. Thank goodness for that.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I will have to dig to find it, but I had a Polaroid of my mid 70s system, lower-mid-fi. :D Of course, it's hard to be in pictures when you're taking them. I will have to post it when I find it.

Back in the day when I was in high school in the late 90s I had some junky BCP Pioneer receiver from Rex Audio hooked up to a single Pioneer 12" 3-way floorstander. why a mono setup? Salvation army only had one. it was all I could afford. lol.

What say you folks post pics of yourself and systems from when you first entered the "I want a nice sounding system" condition.
Wish I did. My first decent system at age 15 circa '72 consisted of a Lenco L75 turntable/Shure M91ED driving an AR Integrated into Advents. Still running modified New Advents in the garage system. There were lots of changes between then and my oldest pic from '85. Common theme is that I've been using full range electrostats since '77. Souther TQ-1 arm/Ariston RD-11s / Shinon Red driving an Audio Research SP-6C and Threshold Stasis 3 into Acoustat 2+2s:
system198510.jpg

Fast forward to 2003 in different house with same turntable (Dynavector DV20 cart) driving Audio Research SP-9 MKIII preamp and VTL MB-450 amps into same speakers - albeit with new spandex socks and some internal mods. Have CD source using GamuT CD-1 using DIY passive attenuators in lieu of preamp. With dedicated room downstairs and lots more in the way of room treatments:

system200306.jpg

Today in current home with same arm / VPI Scout / Dynavector DV20 now with Phoenix Technology Eagle power supply driving Audio Research SP20 preamp and same amps into Sound Lab U-1PX. Digital source now server based (located downstairs in office) driving Squeezebox Touch streamer into Audio Research DAC7. Various signal and power cable upgrades. Using better bass traps and skyline diffusors. Same fake ficus trees for first reflection diffraction. :)

system201503.jpg

Passion for music unchanged!

Last edited:
392297_508301719231257_76574572_n[1].jpg

No rig pics, but here's my best-ever bass and me in-studio making history in 1979: 1976 Gibson Limited Edition Bicentennial Thunderbird in rare black finish. First-ever reissue of the iconic bass, now worth 10 times what I paid. No I don't still have it...

Last edited:
Here I am in 74/75 (23/24 y.o.) with my HK Citation I, II, III. A new SL-1500 tt, I also had a pioneer reel to reel (not in pic), and my speakers were Altec VOTT. Had 1000 lps at that time, then they grew to 5,000 before I sold everything. Now I am putting together a vintage system, and am moving in a couple of months. When it's set up I will post a pic. Second pic is me today (65yo in a few days) 80d658e5-1b55-42d6-9c5b-5e03bc05cf34.jpg Me and a Samoan Breadfruit tree.jpg

1973 I was 17 yrs old. I've got my Realistic SA-900 integrated amp and some tuner that likely belonged to a friend of mine. Not sure what it is (Eico, maybe).
Also, some cheap horrible Radio Shack headphones and my first electric guitar. Looks like my Grandmother's '59 Zenith C725 table radio and a '57 Zenith 21" B&W TV to my left.
I'm sure there is a newer Realistic Lab 24A turntable and a Eico ST-96 FM tuner hidden behind me.
197305- 5632; Me and my stereo.jpg
Here's the "new" system. Norman 8 speakers, Sony CDP-200, Realistic TM-6 tuner and SA-900 integrated amp and a pair of Motorola HS-621's. My newer photo is in my avatar.
20141212- 5220; The Tubed Normans 4 small.jpg

Last edited:
Untitled-1.jpg

College system, ca. '81 - Dual CS505-1, Grado GTE+1, NAD 3020, Aiwa cassette deck, DIY "mini-monitor" using Radio Shack drivers, TAS and Stereophile subscriber on a beer budget

Untitled-1a.jpg

Grad school, ca. '87 - added Audiomart and Audio Amateur to my subscriptions = Dynaco hacker

By the early 90s, I met Joe Roberts at a Hamfest and became a follower of the Sound Practices ethos ;)

12205021485_c30b6b8947_c.jpg

Present system

picself.jpg

Nowadays, I'd rather be seen behind a film camera :)

Last edited:
In 76 I was a freshmen in High school. I strolled into our local stereo store were they were playing a half speed master of Steely Dans Katy lied.
They had it playing though a pair of Klipsch VOTT speakers and a Phase Linear modal 700 series 2 with the red lights. I was hooked.
But being 15 at the time no way I could ever buy it. So I saved and eventualy bought a Sansui AU-317.
The two tape decks are still the origanls I bought in 77. They still work like a charm and sound great.

IMG_0763 (1).JPG

My system now Marantz PM8004 I use for the pre along with a Marantz CD6004,a Rega RP3 TT, Oppo 103,Maggie MMG. And Ipad to stream though the DAC in my CD player..Emotiva XPA-2 G2 for power. Nothing fancy but works great for me.
IMG_0755 (2).JPG Note the original discwasher disc kit on the right of the turn table. So I still have a few pieces from back then.

Yeah, still have my original Discwasher, too.
You weren't TOO bad off with that CT-F1250, were you?
I could get lost in the high end audio stores, too. But, I had Mc taste on a Realistic salary. :bye:

I could get lost in the high end audio stores, too. But, I had Mc taste on a Realistic salary. :bye:

Ya, I guess I picked good. I worked All summer doing dishes and busing tables, Then I painted stripes on parking lots. Saved every penny I could get.
First I bought the RT707 then the cassette deck. I guess I loved them so much I never would part with them. Glad I didn't.

That is not a CT-F1250. It is CT-F950, a most worthy deck.

I have the original DiscWasher set also.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom