Got Any Pics of you and Your Systems, Back in the Day?

There are days hahaha! Still have a 70's light box in play today!
View attachment 839055
That is real cool.:beatnik: I remember them being in Radio Shack catalogs in the 70's and I wanted one. Still do actually.:D I had a plywood and cinderblock shelf unit that my father made for me when I was 9 or 10. I was pretty cool, bolted together and stained and varnished with rope trim. I used it until I left for the Navy.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of one of the corner-horns I built in '78 or so. My friend Bob, who bought them from me, and bi-amped them with two GAS Grandsons and the passive line-level crossovers I made, sits just to the left of the speaker. I'm not in the picture, as this was several years later, after he moved.

I am in this one, worse for wear, but surviving:

Nice bike! :)

I will see if I can somehow download an image of a friend's system from 1977 / 78 at home in his bedroom in Winnipeg, Manitoba - I know he had a Philips turntable, Phase Linear power amplifier ( not sure of the pre amplifier ) and a pair of custom cabinets housing JBL drivers - I believe at least 12" for the low frequency and those machined aluminum tweeters - he built them a few years earlier, 1974 or '75 and made the cabinets from high grade plywood around 2 " thick and then veneered them. Heavy to put it mildly.

I took the picture with Kodachrome 64 slide film and a decent Pentax so the image quality is quite good. I distinctly remember listening to CCR's Green River cranked up - it sounded like a band was playing in the house when you where outside on the street. Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon was exceptional.

I projected the image onto a screen and took a shot of it with a half decent camera - hopefully good enough to discern the components - those speakers on top are not Bose in any way shape or form obviously, not sure what drivers were in it. This was taken in the Summer of 1977:

DSCN4590.jpg

It looks like he had a Dynaco power amp - so much for memory retention! Must be a Dynaco pre amp as well.

Last edited:
This sure brings back some memories. Looking at about 6 months E3 pay at least, still have the Sansui and Elac, later upgraded to a 4010s deck. Liked that little Akai but it was just made too cheap and got a chance to sell it over there. I educated several of the guys on the capabilities of tape. Mid 1969 in deep So. Germany in a missile base (that we didn't have in Europe). Can I still get thrown in jail for this?

army stereo 1969.jpg

upload_2019-10-9_16-41-46.png

That's not me, I think I know who it is, though. January 1978 in college. Stacked Advents, B&O turntable, Heathkit preamp and equalizer, Sony tuner, and there is a Heathkit AA-1506 amplifier somewhere out of the photo. We obviously spent more on the equipment than on the fine burlap drape, or the milk carton and board bookcase. Al DiMeola on the cover of Guitar Player there.
index.php

Today. Same model Heathkit preamp, although not the same one.

Last edited:
I think I have the metal stand for that 'system' down in the basement, piled too high to get a picture of it.
You've piqued my interest.

I submit an additional photo (taken 11 years later in 1971) showing the same table that the Silvertone record player was sitting on in 1960 (but, now occupied by items #2, 3 and 4).

So, are you saying you have a "metal stand" for this table? Or, did I misunderstand something?

197105 My equipment.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

College system, ca. '81 - Dual CS505-1, Grado GTE+1, NAD 3020, Aiwa cassette deck, DIY "mini-monitor" using Radio Shack drivers, TAS and Stereophile subscriber on a beer budget

Untitled-1a.jpg

Grad school, ca. '87 - added Audiomart and Audio Amateur to my subscriptions = Dynaco hacker

By the early 90s, I met Joe Roberts at a Hamfest and became a follower of the Sound Practices ethos ;)

12205021485_c30b6b8947_c.jpg

Present system

picself.jpg

Nowadays, I'd rather be seen behind a film camera :)

Outstanding present day set up and the room looks quite extraordinary.

Back
Top Bottom