Gotta start somewhere...

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Ken Hicks, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Ken Hicks

Ken Hicks Member

20171110_193522.jpg
    Just got a Pro-Ject Essential III today. I only have one LP so far...

2. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

This is how it begins.

I wish you much good music.

Paully and pustelniakr like this.
  3. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Super Mod Subscriber

Good on ya.:thumbsup:

Carry on.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

Don't want to sound like a teenager here, but OMG, one album and it's 2112? My faith in the human race grows stronger.

5. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

That's a great start! Next up get yourself a copy of 'Caress Of Steel' :rockon::rockon:

6. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

....And Moving Pictures

and if you can find a nice copy of the Canadian-only red vinyl Hemispheres, that would look good in your collection (although it would look better in mine)

CT_Ohio, jobrewer1983 and 8xlaxx like this.
  7. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

Be warned, it is a lot like potato chips, it is very difficult to stop with just one, turntable/phono cartridge/record.

Not to worry. AK will help you control this affliction by encouraging you to take advantage of every purchase that comes you way.:eek::D

Congratulations on your new purchase!

May you enjoy all of the music that it provides to you.

8. Ken Hicks

Ken Hicks Member

When I was a teenager in the '70s and just getting into music I went to the record store to buy my 1st record. It was a toss up between 2112 and Golden Earring's Moontan (w/Radar Love). I went with Golden Earring. Looking back, what was I thinking? Got it right the 2nd time around.

pustelniakr and KevinJS like this.
  9. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

[​IMG]

Enjoy and Welcome to AK!

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  10. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

Ah, well, you got there in the end, and no doubt had an incredible musical journey along the way. Seems to me sometimes that my entire life has been punctuated by Rush album releases, which is quite worrying considering I was around for a few years before the band was.

darkblue94 likes this.
  11. Ken Hicks

Ken Hicks Member

Got it on CD.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  12. Ken Hicks

Ken Hicks Member

Got it on CD.

darkblue94 likes this.
  13. Ken Hicks

Ken Hicks Member

Rush is definitely a desert island band for me. I can't even remember how many Rush LPs, 8-Tracks, cassettes, CDs, and DVDs I've owned. They kinda lost me after Moving Pictures though.

jobrewer1983 and KevinJS like this.
  14. jbrainey

jbrainey It's only inches on the reel-to-reel Subscriber

Welcome to AK. NICE table! What cart is installed? Become a subscriber and you have access to our "Bartertown" and all the awesome vinyl offered up by members.

15. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Take your time in choosing the next one - there is no Rush! :naughty: :music: :bigok:

jobrewer1983, garyh and Spitfirejoe like this.
  16. AdamAnt316

AdamAnt316 Collector of heavy things Subscriber

Nicely done! :thumbsup: You're doing far better than I was when I got started with vinyl in the early '90s. My first 'turntables' were crappy BSR record changers built into equally-crappy '70s Emerson tabletop all-in-one stereos which I got as hand-me-downs. My first LP was randomly chosen from a stack of records I found in our attic, "Christmas with Jack Jones". You can better believe that I quickly got tired of listening to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" as I attempted to determine why the tonearm on one of the BSRs kept getting hung up. Eventually, I determined I needed a better way to play records, so I asked for an Optimus receiver for Christmas, got a Garrard record changer handed down to me, and it's all been downhill since then.......... :music::crazy:
    -Adam
    Shameless Vinyl Hipster

jobrewer1983 and Ken Hicks like this.
  17. Ken Hicks

Ken Hicks Member

Ortofon OM 10.

18. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member

IMO Rush never did a song that rocked like Radar Love. Golden Earring was a pretty good live act too, as was Rush, of course.

19. DrumminDaddy

DrumminDaddy Hit it, Baby !! Subscriber

Come and join the brotherhood of man...er, uh, AK! :D

20. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

I remember, barely, all those years ago, when I had only one LP of my own. Most of my listening was of my parents' records. My father had a slew of Johnny Cash on Sun records, and the rest of his catalogue on Columbia. My mother's 78s, and Herb Alpert and the TJB. (I was taking up the trumpet)

I still have those old records, and about 4K more, since. This after three major purges, over the decades.

Oh, and new vinyl on its way from the label.

No, it never ends. Over 50 years of buying and listening to records, and there are others here with more 'seniority' than me.

Enjoy!

Ken Hicks likes this.