Grabbing Stills/Segments off DVD

Wornears

Age & Treachery
OK you web heads, I need some superior advice and figured I'd go to the masters on this forum. This is for my pays-the-bills job, so I can't honk this up. I need to find a PC-based software program that can pull digital still images off of a DVD, and save them as .jpg or other digital still formats to post on a website. (Yeah, I know this would be so much easier if we were an Apple based company, but then if pigs would fly bacon would be cheaper to transport.)

Ideally, and this is the trickier part, this program would also let me save a timed segment of a DVD and convert this segment to a Macromedia flash file to be posted/played on the website.

I've researched some of the major players' (Adobe, etc.) video suites, and apart from being so much overkill, I really don't have time to become a graphics designer, or train staff to become one either.

Any leads would be very much appreciated. I seem to have found the ends of the prosumer side of this quest and the bone-headed low-end, but not the useful sweet center spot.

Thanks!

Are you referring to copyrighted DVD's or home made DVD's? If the material is copyrighted that will add another dimension to what you need to do.

Mike

Should have been clearer -- homemade (company-made) -- no copyrighting or protection issues. From what I've gathered so far, I think I have to take the DVD format and convert it to Quicktime, and then convert that to the digital still, or a Macromedia flash segment. Sound correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Power DVD

I can't help you with the other stuff but for the still captures CyberLink Power DVD does a great job.

It saves them in .bmp format but you can convert them to .jpg with Photoshop.

Here's a sample of what it can do:

The company that created the video should be able to that for you. If not and you can't do it, drop me an email and I can get it done for you (thats my paying job kind of stuff).

Eric H said:
I can't help you with the other stuff but for the still captures CyberLink Power DVD does a great job.

It saves them in .bmp format but you can convert them to .jpg with Photoshop.

Here's a sample of what it can do:

Power DVD is what I use also.

Back
Top Bottom