Grace 707 Tonearm Cable Needed - Please Help!

nineDnine90

Hello all, and thanks for your help in advance!

Brief History: I am new to vinyl. I just graduated college, headed off to grad school and decided to step outside my digital music comfort zone.

I recently obtained a Connoisseur BD 103 turntable with a Grace 707 tonearm and a Grado cartridge (possibly a "GL"? - not sure, have not looked into it much, yet).

Problem: No tonearm cable! I have spent hours online and it looks like the G 707 needs a fairly unique tonearm cable. I found one that would work on eBay, Sigma Acoustics - $150 US and ships from Israel with NO returns... This leads to my second problem - I am not sure how solid the rest of the turntable is. I don't know if I will need to update the cartridge, and I am on a very limited budget. I don't want to spend $150 just to see if the damn thing works right. I'd like to put what little money I have for this new hobby into the right places. I'm running everything thru a Yamaha RX-V659 into Focal Sib XLs / Cub2. The receiver has a phono input, not sure how it will sound. I would like to keep some money aside for; a pre-amp (has anyone used the RX-V659 inputs?) and some new records (slightly more costly than downloading mp3, lol).

Does anyone have any information on where to buy an affordable tonearm cable that will work with the G 707? I cant find the SLC (Silver Lining Cables) anywhere. Also, it appears the Sweetcome 707 is no longer available.

Thanks,
-Chris

Brief History: I am new to vinyl. I just graduated college, headed off to grad school and decided to step outside my digital music comfort zone.

I recently obtained a Connoisseur BD 103 turntable with a Grace 707 tonearm and a Grado cartridge (possibly a "GL"? - not sure, have not looked into it much, yet).

Problem: No tonearm cable! I have spent hours online and it looks like the G 707 needs a fairly unique tonearm cable. I found one that would work on eBay, Sigma Acoustics - $150 US and ships from Israel with NO returns... This leads to my second problem - I am not sure how solid the rest of the turntable is. I don't know if I will need to update the cartridge, and I am on a very limited budget. I don't want to spend $150 just to see if the damn thing works right. I'd like to put what little money I have for this new hobby into the right places. I'm running everything thru a Yamaha RX-V659 into Focal Sib XLs / Cub2. The receiver has a phono input, not sure how it will sound. I would like to keep some money aside for; a pre-amp (has anyone used the RX-V659 inputs?) and some new records (slightly more costly than downloading mp3, lol).

Does anyone have any information on where to buy an affordable tonearm cable that will work with the G 707? I cant find the SLC (Silver Lining Cables) anywhere. Also, it appears the Sweetcome 707 is no longer available.

Thanks,
-Chris

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

It should have a 5 pin DIN terminal/connector.

Fine the proper one locally (there are several types).

Fabricate your own for now.:music:

Here is one I have been following on Ebay. I'd like to get one for my 707.

******EBAY LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR******

Sorry, I did not read your whole post. PM coming your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your turntable is healthy, then it should outclass your Yamaha by a mile. The speakers were designed with home theater in mind but the brand is a respected one. The Grace Arm is well regarded and worth about $200 if in good condition with cable.

The 707 has a non-standard inverted DIN cable. Don't suggest that the OP buy the wrong part, please.

I've seen the cables on eBay for about $100. Not sure why you're only finding one that's more expensive.

Thanks,
-Chris

I have a stock Grace 707 cable that I'll send you for the cost of shipping. LMK if you're interested.

Jack

The 707 has a non-standard inverted DIN cable. Don't suggest that the OP buy the wrong part, please.

I've seen the cables on eBay for about $100. Not sure why you're only finding one that's more expensive.

It's the only one that I have been able to find.

jackmowbray - PM sent

Everyone else - Thanks so much for the replies!

Isotonic - Yes it is a 5.1 channel surround sound system. I got the speaker set and receiver from a local home/audio shop that was going out of business. Setting it to 2.1 does a nice job for enjoying music. The sub is powered and has its own volume control, which I am sure my neighbors appreciate. Considering I've essentially been unemployed throughout school, I am more than happy with what I got. I sent a couple emails to SLC, no reply yet. I can't believe they don't have a phone number on their website...

jackmowbray - PM sent

Everyone else - Thanks so much for the replies!

Isotonic - Yes it is a 5.1 channel surround sound system. I got the speaker set and receiver from a local home/audio shop that was going out of business. Setting it to 2.1 does a nice job for enjoying music. The sub is powered and has its own volume control, which I am sure my neighbors appreciate. Considering I've essentially been unemployed throughout school, I am more than happy with what I got. I sent a couple emails to SLC, no reply yet. I can't believe they don't have a phone number on their website...

Chris, cables sent - you should have them Monday. Good luck with your project.

Jack

Very nice Jack!! Chris you'll have a nice little setup there. If that cart is a G1 it's a keeper. It would be worth replacing the stylus if needed and not messing with a new cartridge. The 707 is a little dicey changing cartridges so be very careful. One slip and you rip a lead off the headshell and it's solder time.

I finally got an armboard for a TD-160 and installed a 707 last night with an Empire 2000T. It's gonna stay there for awhile. The 707 sounds excellent with a high compliance cartridge-really good.

Isotonik i think a Cardas Male Din-R could be soldered up with some mouse cable if you are in need of a Grace cable. Their may be other connectors that would work as well( solder x 5-pin male).
Matt

I am aware this is a seriously old post, but I wanted to add an update, and my two cents...

The tonearm cable on my Grace 707 Mark II went out. I tried eBay, but the $175 tonearm plug that came with the cable didn't fit into the tonearm tube.

I then saw the Spirit 1877 tonearm cable on Audiyo in Canada. It was cheaper than the eBay plug (thanks Canadian dollar!). I ordered it. It came quickly, and HOLY COW what a difference it makes over the original tonearm cable. This one is well constructed with a nice pvc jacket. Works like a champ, and really opens up the music in my ears.

This cable is a perfect fit, and a must-get for those struggling to find tonearm cables for the Grace 707.

Back
Top Bottom