Grado Hum, any way to mitigate it?

432HzBob

Lunatic Member
I just noticed a very faint hum on my Grado blue with 8MZ stylus.
It's on a Technics SL-1600 MK2 and not very loud.
It seems to vary in intensity as you move the tonearm over the record and gets louder when you park the tonearm on the rest and the circutry turns off the signal output to the preamp.
Anybody have a cure for this minor issue?

You’ll need to somehow shield the motor. The hum is caused by stray EMI.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of a Technics causing a Grado to hum.

if the signal to the preamp gets shut off, there should be zero sound from anything. The motor should operate on DC voltage. DC does not created EMF (frequency). The transformer to drop the mains voltage may be leaking EMF.

What Marc said is probably it. Although I had a recent experience which drove me crazy for a week which could also cause the symptom. I parked a power strip and the external power supply for my phono pre too close to the TT, and on the tonearm side. Same symptoms you described but solution was to move the strip and ps to the other outlet away from the TT. Just a thought.

Now that you mention it, when I had my tube amp placed below my turntable, my Grado picked up some interference and it caused some hum.

It's a conspiracy. First, a Grado 8MZ to addict me. Then, a turntable upgrade to a Thorens TD-160. Then, Grado hum, so I just HAD to go MC....now I just paid $750 for a USED phono preamp...:eek:

Where is your turntable located? The hum could be coming from something under the turntable.

Yeah, like anything with a transformer in it.................amps, preamps, wall warts.........dimmers..........fluorescent lamps...............

Back
Top Bottom