Grado MG

ltbetty

Just thought I'd share as there is so little info about the Grado MG out there on the web. I acquired the Grado MG RS1 on a Thorens TD318 turntable quite some time ago and had inquired with a tech at Grado about it as I needed a new stylus. He informed me that I had an early "reference series" and recommended the 8MZ stylus (which I did). I've used it on many turntables since with wonderful results. The other cartridge in the photo, just acquired, is also an MG but with the "RP1" designation (a P-mount cart). Both are from around 1985. So for those out there who stumble upon this thread, test your MG with the old stylus (or if you're good with a multimeter even better) and if it's working properly, don't hesitate to put a new Grado stylus on it! Many turntables later, it's still one of my favorites!

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 86
I have acquired several Grados, including an early Gold cartridge. Even with a lowly Black stylus it sounds fantastic. Working on restoring a couple of Dual tables and after I acquire all the necessary components for those I plan on upgrading it to an 8MZ.

Just thought I'd share as there is so little info about the Grado MG out there on the web. I acquired the Grado MG RS1 on a Thorens TD318 turntable quite some time ago and had inquired with a tech at Grado about it as I needed a new stylus. He informed me that I had an early "reference series" and recommended the 8MZ stylus (which I did). I've used it on many turntables since with wonderful results. The other cartridge in the photo, just acquired, is also an MG but with the "RP1" designation (a P-mount cart). Both are from around 1985. So for those out there who stumble upon this thread, test your MG with the old stylus (or if you're good with a multimeter even better) and if it's working properly, don't hesitate to put a new Grado stylus on it! Many turntables later, it's still one of my favorites!

Hi, Could you please let me know the shape of the stylus. Is it bonded or nude ? Thanx

Back
Top Bottom