Grado Modifications.

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
Moderator note: If a thread like this already exists PLEASE merge this together with it.

Okay so, Grado headphones are great because of several reasons. Their sound signature, they're made in America and their utilitarian construction allows the manufacturer to concentrate more on sound quality.

Their simple construction also makes them easier to MODIFY.

I thought I'd start out with adding a touch of luxury to my Grado SR60is. Girlfriend really perceptively picked up the hint that one of the things I wanted for Christmas was a leather headband and she got me the black leather one from Manta/Headphone Lounge.

Before I post a picture share with us how you've modded your Grados. Would be a great brain trust for folks who want to give it a go but are not sure what options are available to them.

Picture.

DSC00242_zps6ae53613.jpg

The SR60i's are very nice stock. I have had a pair for 12 years or so, and I have found that adding some lead tape to the back of the plastic chambers, on the shelf so it's not visible when you're wearing them, increases the bass nicely. While you have the foam cushions off, cut a quarter-size hole in the middle to release the treble. That is the extent of mods I have done, but head-fi.org is full of very extensive mods... Good luck!

Head-fi is a great source of info but it's a bit overwhelming sometimes.

I was interested in what other members of this forum do or plan to do to their phones :scratch2:

Head-fi is a great source of info but it's a bit overwhelming sometimes.

I was interested in what other members of this forum do or plan to do to their phones :scratch2:

''Overwhelming'', hmmm!, that's a nice way of putting it, because i find that it can get nothing short of ruthless sometimes, especially when it comes to Grados, for some reason, Grado headphones seem to draw very passionnate and polarized comments, peoples either love them, or hate them, but they sure leave no one indifferent.

I love them, i consider myself privileded to own the 1000 family, for those less familiar with Grados, that consists of the GS/PS/HP-1000, and i also have a pair of the overachieving SR80is, all of them are stock, altough i respect those who moddify their Grados, i'm much to chicken to try some of the more involved modds, eardpads swapping is fine, but that's it, no surgery for me thanks.

The SR60i's are very nice stock. I have had a pair for 12 years or so, and I have found that adding some lead tape to the back of the plastic chambers, on the shelf so it's not visible when you're wearing them, increases the bass nicely. While you have the foam cushions off, cut a quarter-size hole in the middle to release the treble. That is the extent of mods I have done, but head-fi.org is full of very extensive mods... Good luck!

The last thing in the world my SR-125's need is to have more treble released. What they do need is a properly engineered headband that actually holds them close enough to the ears for the bass to have a chance.

Like my Grados' sounds.
But I don't much like their goofy earpads or their circa WW2 radio operator klunkyness.

I bought my SR60's back in 2001. Since then, I have tried the L pads and G pads and preferred the L's by far. I have also tried several of the mods mentioned on head-fi and all have resulted in improved bass and sound quality. It cost me nothing to perform the mods since I already had some of the felt type material to add to the magnets and to line the inside of the chambers.
I was to the point where I was about to purchase a new set of headphones, but the mods to the SR60's were good enough to make me keep using them as my only pair for private listening. Now to get the headband the OP mentioned.....

What I want to do is figure out how to take advantage of some of the hacker spaces in Philadelphia and make some metal driver housings. Or at the very least get them made for me. I don't know anything about the programing and operation of a C&C machine. A friend of mine makes custom pistol grips. Made nice ones for his .45 out of purple hardwood. I could probably get him to make some Grado housings out of wood for me however I would most certainly have to pay him for his work.

I bought my SR60's back in 2001. Since then, I have tried the L pads and G pads and preferred the L's by far. I have also tried several of the mods mentioned on head-fi and all have resulted in improved bass and sound quality. It cost me nothing to perform the mods since I already had some of the felt type material to add to the magnets and to line the inside of the chambers.
I was to the point where I was about to purchase a new set of headphones, but the mods to the SR60's were good enough to make me keep using them as my only pair for private listening. Now to get the headband the OP mentioned.....

It's part of the Manta headband series being sold by Headphone Lounge. The 'saddle' and 'onyx' bands are $50. I just have the regular 'black' one for $38. I still think it's quite nice though.

I think I am going to spring for the Vibro cups and the headband from Headphone Lounge. I spent a couple of hours with my Grados this afternoon and the energy and sound quality these headphones have impress me every time I put them on. I think both items are more show than actual improvements to the fidelity, but they will certainly cost less than new headphones and will make my Grados look like they sound now. :music:

Like my Grados' sounds.
But I don't much like their goofy earpads or their circa WW2 radio operator klunkyness.

Try the L-pads - much more comfortable and they expose the driver which supposedly extends the HF. Just search for "Grado L-Cush" on Amazon.

OK, Grado aficionados, I need a bit of advice. I was recently in the market for an new pair of on ear phones and finally decided to give the Grado SR80i a shot. I've had them for about two weeks now and I love them. They sound great and do exactly what I need them to do (allow me to listen to music at work while still being able to hear my coworkers). However, my only complaint is the 3.5mm plug is too large to clear the cases on my iPod and phone. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement 3.5mm plug that is small enough to clear the cases but will not negatively affect the sound quality? I would also like the replacement plug to provide a fair amount of strain relief on the cable.

I kept it simple... And I did it for the sport of "modding" with no high hopes of any mind blowing sound quality improvements. It's simply customization for the sake of .. well.. Customization. The overall feel of the headphones has changed as expected with the change in materials though. - These are still a work in progress - They started life as a set of older SR225 which they still, the accessories have given them a face lift. I'll know more about any effects on sound ( if any) when I'm done and I do an A/B comparison with a stock pair I own. From a tactile perspective they "feel" different and a a bit easier on the eyes. Updated to date: Mohagany Earcups, Mohogany stoppers, Leather Headband. - next up.. Fully dressed custom Cable ( 1/4 Jack , Y- Joiner, techflex sheathing etc). They look more like the RS2/RS1 -

I owned a set of SR325i but actually preferred the sound of the 225, so I used them as the platform for my custom look grado's.

CameraZOOM-20130224232348885.jpg

I run the RS1is, I use G-CUSH pads and boy did it ever make a difference, I really like them stock, but absolutely love them with the new pads.

I run the RS1is, I use G-CUSH pads and boy did it ever make a difference, I really like them stock, but absolutely love them with the new pads.

I thought about changing the earpads too but they're fairly confortable as they are. also I think the drivers sit further from your ears with the G-Cush . I'd have to try a set and see if it they were comfy and don't alter the sound negatively.

Anybody with mahogany cups notice a difference in the sound? Obviously it's subjective as to whether or not it's an improvement. I'm just curious if there is a difference and what it may be.

Basically, I have access to a top of the line CNC machine for free, and I'm trying to determine if it's worth my time to figure out how to get a good Rhino 3D model of some cups and make a few pairs.

Also trying to decide if I should stick with the SR80s I have or jump for some SR225s. Nowhere around here to try them out, so I have no idea what the sound difference will be to my ears. I guess I could order them, compare, and send 'em back if I don't see a big difference.

I do like the look of that leather band! The brown one was really nice, too.

Anybody with mahogany cups notice a difference in the sound? Obviously it's subjective as to whether or not it's an improvement. I'm just curious if there is a difference and what it may be.

After some moderately critical listening , the short answer is YES there is a sound difference to my ear when I compared my modded cup version to factory version.
Better is definitely a subjective word so I'll stick with "different" - The Wood Cup version seems to have more detail on the high frequency. cymbals sound more crisp, the metal ribs on a snare drum was more evident , also there is a bit more "sparkle" in the vocals which sounded more natural to me ( not simbilant but just a more natural tone overall). because most of the differences were noticed in the mid to upper frequency range. the instruments sounded more separated ( IE I was able to hear more of the shaker in a few tracks, it was lost with other instruments in it's frequency range on the unmodded 225 - more "flat" with the rest of the frequencies nearby. -

Now that's not to say that their might not be variances in the drivers from GRADO, ( that may very well be the case, but aside from butchering the stock model and mounting them in the mahogany
cups I'll never truly know.

everything else other than the earcups was the same. I'll be upgrading the cables on my modded 225's now that I've had some time comparing them to the stock model. The point in waiting was to isolate the changes 1 step at a time. I know what differences exist ( and learned the demo songs quite well after about 20 or so listens). Next I'll see if cabling changes things any further.

I'm happy with the sonics of the 225 in the wood cups but again I can't say for certain that this change alone has created the noted difference in tonal quality. I should have compared stock to stock before beginning the mod. Alas, that didn't occur to me at the time. I didn't go into this with science in mind, just wanted to personalize the look and crossed my fingers that there would be a nice change in performance. I like them both, on some tracks the unmodified version had more low end and mid range character, on others the Modded units really had a lot more detail.

I felt the same way when I owned the SR325i - I liked them but I felt that vocals had a bit of an unnatural sound ( a bit nasal sounding on the frequencies but I liked it better in other areas on some tracks.) there is no one headphone that rules them all for me. different cans bring out different things on different tracks.. so at the end of the day PRICE not being factored in it all comes down to how much I'm willing to pay for --X--- difference. SR60's absolutely rock and despite being much different in cost technincally they really shouldn't be. same materials are used up to the SR225 the only difference is the actual drivers and I SERIOUSLY doubt there is that much of a manufacturing cost differential between the SR60 and SR225. no matter what , for the money I preferred the 225 and 60's over the 325, so I reallocated the funds from the sale of my 325s and put them into comfort and aesthetic upgrades for my 225's
So now not only do I still like the way they sound, I like the way they look even more than the 325 so for me it was a decent investment and I also did it for the "project aspect" of modding.

I'll follow up with notes from the Cable "upgrade" :)

I'll follow up with notes from the Cable "upgrade" :)

Definitely do let me know how the cable change goes! I've seen so many opinions on the matter, usually very... opinionated, for lack of a more neutral term, heh heh. I'm currently working on some cups, and I, too, was thinking about playing with the cables just because, well.. why not. I don't think it'll hurt any, and I'm curious. That said, I'd love to see what your thoughts are on your results!

I love them, i consider myself privileded to own the 1000 family, for those less familiar with Grados, that consists of the GS/PS/HP-1000

Stacker45,

What earpads do you have on your 1000's? I need a new pair for my HP-1000's.

Thanks,

Ron

Back
Top Bottom