Grado sr60
100_1761.jpg

100_1756.jpg

Grado sr80
100_1092.jpg

100_1022.jpg

100_1101.jpg

cheers

I've had my SR80i's for a couple of years and never thought about modding them. I was going to get some new headphones instead of modding my Grados. You guys are making me reconsider.

There are definitely some issues with the stock headphones.
They sound great but I can't wear them that long because the cushions begin to hurt my ears after about an hour. The band is pretty uncomfortable as well.

Does anyone know if you can still get the mohogany cups?
Looks like the Vibro ones are sold out.

Have any of you tried the G-Cusions?

I've had my SR80i's for a couple of years and never thought about modding them. I was going to get some new headphones instead of modding my Grados. You guys are making me reconsider.

There are definitely some issues with the stock headphones.
They sound great but I can't wear them that long because the cushions begin to hurt my ears after about an hour. The band is pretty uncomfortable as well.

Does anyone know if you can still get the mohogany cups?
Looks like the Vibro ones are sold out.

Have any of you tried the G-Cusions?

I have tried all three cushions on my SR60's (S,L,G) and find the L cushions to be the best combination of comfort and sound quality. The larger G cushions pushed the drivers to far away from my ears and severely impacted low frequency performance. Again, these were tried on my SR60's, but I would think the 80's would be almost identical.

I'd love to try some Grados modded or not. I'm hesitant because so many people say they are uncomfortable. I cannot tolorate uncomfortable headphones no matter how good they sound. Also many describe them as a great rock headphone and I'm a jazz guy. I wish I knew someone local that owned a pair.

cubdog

I'd love to try some Grados modded or not. I'm hesitant because so many people say they are uncomfortable. I cannot tolorate uncomfortable headphones no matter how good they sound. Also many describe them as a great rock headphone and I'm a jazz guy. I wish I knew someone local that owned a pair.

cubdog

My unmodded Grados are perfect for jazz, acoustic and vocals. Because they are an open back design, it gives you a real sense of space and air.

Adjusted properly I can wear mine for a couple hours without getting uncomfortable.

I have no issues regarding comfort, and i have all four pad models, but the ones i find most comfortable are my GS/PS1000 with the G cush, of course the GS1000, being so light, are even more comfortable than the PS1000, wich are pretty heavy.

cubdog

Cubdog, if you ever make it down to central Texas, stop by and listen to my modded SR60's :D
I have owned these head phones for 12 years and thoroughly enjoy them. I also have some over-the-ear Sennheiser HD580's, which I find a bit to closed in - my ears and head begin to perspire if I wear them too long. The Grados are open and airy, and are very good for jazz - the mids and highs are "sparkly" in a good way. The bass was lacking a little, so I performed some of the well published (and no cost) mods to them and it improved the low frequencies significantly.
I have listened to several other higher end headphones on occasion, and have never felt the need to replace the Grados. I am not a heavy headphone user, but when I do use them, it is usually for 2-4 hours at a time.
For the $75 entry price for a set of SR60's and another $20 for the L cushions, I think you have a high quality set of headphones that have a ton of potential for tweaks and mods.

Do you guys think punching holes in the cushions helps fidelity?

EWizard, I tried that mod early on and did not notice much of an increase in fidelity, but it is easy to do (I think I used a quarter and a razor blade.) I am most happy with the L cushions - they have the open middle section and the pads are more cone shaped on the inside which gets them off of my ear a lot better.

Let me add that I performed that mod when my ears were 40 years old, if you have sensitive high frequency hearing, you may notice more of an improvement.

Where abouts in the Hill Country are you gguillot?
We're right on the edge of it in NW Austin.

About 10 miles north of San Antonio in Boerne, TX. I am on the southern edge of Hill Country. I used to live up in Bee Cave, hope to make the move back up there again one day.

Back
Top Bottom