Graphic EQ's...opinions

I deal with the room by speaker location.

I agree with simi on this one... in my case I don't have the option to move the speakers. My listening room is small and unfortunately, my JBL L100's need to be placed close to the room corners. This is absolutely the worst place to put them as it gives an unnatural base increase that my eq unit corrects.

BTW, a Behringer 8024 ultra curve pro does a nice job with room eq after I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors. Here is a nice review of it by Thorsten Loesch:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0101/behringer8024.htm

I used to have a SoundShaper II, and now have a Pioneer SG-9500. They can be very helpful as a kind of manual loudness control at lower volumes, but do require considerable time to dial in. I ended up cutting out a cardboard template that I could set flat against the EQ faceplate and just slide the sliders down onto it to restore a particular setting. In my office at work, I use one to lower the bass overall to reduce sound transmission to the next office.

All EQ I have heard introduce some level of noise (hiss), so for critical listening you want to be able to eliminate them from the circuit. I almost always switch them out when listening with the volume cranked. But, if you enjoy tweaking your room, they are a lot easier (and reduce arguments) than moving furniture!

if you want to nuts, go parametric.
http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Stereo_Signal_Proc/SAE_Parametric_EQ_180_2-Band_Web.jpg

Hi all, am looking to add a bit more control, eq wise, to my quad 33/303.
Am open to new or vintage, have a decent condition howland west MX850 avail to use but its a bit big and bulky. Would like something with some sort of VU / rack size prefereably but am open to anything really.
Doesnt have to have masses of bands just enough for real world eq'ing vinyl and CD's thru to my Ditton 44's as the quad is lovely sounding but limited in its eq adjustment.
Any thoughts appreciated
cheers guys
arlen
I have the Howland West MX850. May I ask what do you attach to the ground terminal?
Thanks

I have the Howland West MX850. May I ask what do you attach to the ground terminal?
Thanks
First off welcome to AK.

But here is a piece of advice,always check the date of the thread you're posting on.
Seeing that this thread is 8 years old it's a total crapshoot if you'll get a reply to your question here.
Especially true seeing that the OP only has like 38 posts in all that time.
And his last post was in June of 2012.

Anyhow the odds are the ground is just to ground the units chassis,say if it were to be mounted in a rack or such.
Look up and read about a phenomenon called "ground loops" and you'll better understand why the ground lug is there.

For future reference you'll probably do better to start a new thread to ask a question like this rather than digging up old threads to ask queestions.

HTH

Bret P.

First off welcome to AK.

But here is a piece of advice,always check the date of the thread you're posting on.
Seeing that this thread is 8 years old it's a total crapshoot if you'll get a reply to your question here.
Especially true seeing that the OP only has like 38 posts in all that time.
And his last post was in June of 2012.

Anyhow the odds are the ground is just to ground the units chassis,say if it were to be mounted in a rack or such.
Look up and read about a phenomenon called "ground loops" and you'll better understand why the ground lug is there.

For future reference you'll probably do better to start a new thread to ask a question like this rather than digging up old threads to ask queestions.

HTH

Bret P.
Good to know.
Thank you for your kind reply.

This is my other EQ. An SEA-80. Very nice and doesn't color the music at all. Maybe a slight boost, but that's it.
IMG_3441.jpg

Glen, have you tried using the mic input and pink noise on the JVC?
Nope. I don't have a mic to properly do this. I'd be curious to see how this actually works, and the effect it would have on my systems sound in the space.

Nope. I don't have a mic to properly do this. I'd be curious to see how this actually works, and the effect it would have on my systems sound in the space.
I recommend trying with whatever mic you can get. That is where the value of that EQ shows.

Back
Top Bottom