Grateful Dead tape score...

Decatur Greg

IMG_3586.jpg IMG_3587.jpg IMG_3588.jpg IMG_3589.jpg IMG_3590.jpg

A fellow Deadhead gave me a lead on Craig's List of someone selling their GD tape collection. Total of 384 cassettes with 360 of them GD tapes. Mostly soundboard recordings, all on chrome tapes and stored properly. Show dates range from 1966-1992. The remaining tapes are goodies like Allman Brothers Band, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dickey Betts, Jefferson Airplane, Bonnie Raitt, etc.

He only wanted $50 for the whole set (13 cents a tape) as he was more concerned about them "going to a good home". Apparently the first person who wanted to buy them wasn't deemed worthy because they started the conversation with "what's the least you'll take for them?".

I started the long strange trip of playing them last night with Winterland 12/11/72.

Feel free to recommend shows that I should check for!!

The Dead with Duane Allman @ the Fillmore East circa '72. It Hurts Me Too, Sugar Magnolia and one other track. My tape had to be 4th or 5th generation with hiss, wow and flutter and I still listened to it back in the day.

That might be the best deal I've ever seen on AK.:thumbsup: How would you like to double your money?? :deal:

Hee hee... that would totally violate the spirit of the GD taping community. I figure the guy lost money on the deal as those Maxells were a couple of bucks each, even buying in bulk.

I enjoy playing tapes. The various internet sites and digital releases make assessing shows easy, but nothing beats breaking out a Maxell MX. Enjoy your score.

If you have it (The Omni, 6/20/74)I would listen to Eye's of The World and let your ears feast on the interplay between Phil & Jerry.

June 74 Eye's were on fire!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom