Great Commonwealth Amp Challenge - Exposure vs Redgum vs LFD vs Sonneteer

Now that you have played with the Sonneteer for a while what is your overall ranking of the amps at this point? Are you planning on purchasing any of these models in the future? This thread has been a great read so far. I can't believe that I just stumbled on to it this past weekend.

Now that you have played with the Sonneteer for a while what is your overall ranking of the amps at this point? Are you planning on purchasing any of these models in the future? This thread has been a great read so far. I can't believe that I just stumbled on to it this past weekend.

As you can no doubt tell, first place is easy. The problem with picking second is that the strengths of each is so different, and the tastes and requirements of person who would pick each of them so varied, that it is hard to just choose a basic ranking. The Sonneteer is easily the cheapest, especially as it's the only one that comes with a phono stage. However, is 33 watts enough? The Exposure, at the opposite extreme, has tons of balls and is apparently able to drive just about any speaker, being notable at driving both Quads and Spendors! The Redgum kind of falls in the middle, with lots of power, but a more tailored sound. The Redgum is a really special piece of equipment. While both it and the LFD are hand built by their respective designers, the LFD feels a little cold and austere. Like cosmetics just didn't matter. The Redgum, on the other hand, just feels all around like it is a labor of love. Like someone really cares about it from both looks and sound.

Would I be unhappy with any of them? Nope. If it were for my tastes and my system, and I am not spending my own dollars, I'd snag the LFD. If I am spending my own dollars, I'd lean towards the Exposure. Of the 3, second place candidates, it feels like the one that will give you the best long term use. Plus I love the power, the PRAT, and that incredible rhythmic drive. It just seems to propel the music forward and is dynamic as hell. So much fun to listen to. Plus, I do like having a remote control, and I hate dual volume controls, like on the Redgum. (Redgum does offer a cool dual remote control setup too as an option, btw). Yes, I could very easily be swayed into the Redgum too!

I do hope to get a Sonneteer that is more representative of the price class of the others, and then I will revisit this.

The Redgum, on the other hand, just feels all around like it is a labor of love. Like someone really cares about it from both looks and sound.

there's something humane, good-natured about Redgum indeed. too bad you weren't able to have the remote. with it, the control becomes easy and you get the added benefit of being able to control the channel balance without compromising the sound qualities.

Looking forward to you getting your hands on an Alabaster then. This is at least a current model. With the exception of a few new ones left the Campion in its current form will be confined to the History books as the Alabaster takes centre stage. It's heart will continue to beat inside all Sonneteer amplifiers of course.

There are one or two Alabasters out there with a phono stage too. These were made to special order though so not so wide spread.

Haider

Looking forward to you getting your hands on an Alabaster then. This is at least a current model. With the exception of a few new ones left the Campion in its current form will be confined to the History books as the Alabaster takes centre stage. It's heart will continue to beat inside all Sonneteer amplifiers of course.

There are one or two Alabasters out there with a phono stage too. These were made to special order though so not so wide spread.

Haider

You and me both!

Be interesting to see how it does against the LFD. A great British rivalry?

Some more listening in, and some more clarity around things. It really takes a LOT of time and a lot of listening to get a good read on these amps. Doing 4 amps at once is brutally tough. It just takes lots of quiet, relaxing, restful listening time to get a feel for each of them. I totally get why AB testing doesn't work if you don't have a lot of experience doing it. Ideally, I'd want a couple of months for this. Really!

An easy trap to get sucked into is picking music that supports the strength of one amp over another. It can trick you into preferring one over another, but only on certain types of music. But they do that music so incredibly well, that you start, or at least I start, to pick music just to hear how awesome it sounds. Problem is, in the long run, I won't only want to listen to the music that sounds great through that amp. I want to listen to the music I love. And am amp that funnels your music choices to accommodate it, rather than accommodating your love of any kind if music is a little to specialized for me. Or perhaps, my music is too eclectic for it.

So, what does this mean in terms of the amps being tested? It means I will give the Exposure a bump to a solid second place. It really is an amazingly solid all arounder. Plus, and most importantly, it is tons of fun to listen to. This amp really knows how to cut loose and rock. And while detailed, it is still very forgiving of recordings that aren't the best in quality.

The LFD? Still first, but with a caveat. As I stated , it does mids like a good tube amp. If your tastes run to vocals, jazz, blues, etc. this amp is a killer. However, it's just a little too polite to really rock. You'd feel a little silly playing the Sex Pistols through it, for instance.

I wouldn't feel silly playing any music with any Sonneteer amp. If I had an amp that chose my music I would move it on. Been there, done that. Really sounds like overall you prefer the Exposure. I like LFD amps and they support most of what I like to listen to, but I would agree that I am unsure of how I would feel about breaking out one of my AC/DC discs. That's probably why I would chose another amp first and in a sense so have you. Always good to read how folks feel about different products.

I wouldn't feel silly playing any music with any Sonneteer amp. If I had an amp that chose my music I would move it on. Been there, done that. Really sounds like overall you prefer the Exposure. I like LFD amps and they support most of what I like to listen to, but I would agree that I am unsure of how I would feel about breaking out one of my AC/DC discs. That's probably why I would chose another amp first and in a sense so have you. Always good to read how folks feel about different products.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is not a one that is perfect for every kind of music. It's just a matter of weighing which compromise works best for the person listening. That being said, they are all great amps.

However, Even at the $2K to $4K level, you don't get everything. I'd group the Exposure and Redgum in one "school" (more dynamic and "rock" oriented) with the Sonateer and the LFD (more jazz blues or vocals) in the other. However, they all do great across the board, and in a standard AB test, it would be tougher to choose. It really does take weeks to really get the feel for these amps.

Takes time and probably rolling through various sources, speakers and cables to find the right match for each amp. Lacking that we can only evaluate based on the pieces at our disposal, time with each piece, rooms and acoustics we listen in and finally the preferences we bring to the dance.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your take on each amp.

Furthermore, these is also so many other components in the chain that could affect your preference. It is indeed very hard to find an amplifier that will suit every taste of music. However, I think the way you describe it, the Exposure seems like a very good contender, probably serve by its power. Do you think an amp with lower watts would fail, againts the Expose as an exemple for every kind of music, or then again all the chain could be affected?

Editing : Art you are to quicker than me ;)

Last edited:
Furthermore, these is also so many other components in the chain that could affect your preference. It is indeed very hard to find an amplifier that will suit every taste of music. However, I think the way you describe it, the Exposure seems like a very good contender, probably serve by its power. Do you think an amp with lower watts would fail, againts the Expose as an exemple for every kind of music, or then again all the chain could be affected?

Editing : Art you are to quicker than me ;)

I really don't think power per se, as In maximum output power, was a huge issue. My old Spendors are reasonably efficient, or at least not very inefficient, and are known to be a fairly benign load. No Infinity like forays into 1 ohm territory. The Sonnateer is by far the weakest of the lot, and I don't know that I ever pushed it hard enough for it to run out of power. Maybe the size and strength of the power supplies were more of an issue? Voicing, perhaps? Hard to say.

However, the Exposure is definitely the all around winner in the group, if price is an object. It isn't so much more expensive then the others to be totally out of reach. It may even be more of an all-arounder then the LFD. However, the stuff the LFD does well, which is coincidentally where the heart of music is, it's in a different league then the others. And it's not that it can't play everything. It sure can. It's just that it gives up some in the PRaT area to the PRaT king of the group, the Exposure. It is Bruce Jenner to the LFD's Michael Phelps.

Takes time and probably rolling through various sources, speakers and cables to find the right match for each amp. Lacking that we can only evaluate based on the pieces at our disposal, time with each piece, rooms and acoustics we listen in and finally the preferences we bring to the dance.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your take on each amp.

Yeah, the cable swapping was certainly a pain. Tried so many different cables including Grover, LFD, siltech, Cardas, Zu, Soundstring, Cabledyne, and of course, Avanti. Getting each setup just right. Even the speakers positioning needed adjusting based on amp being uses. At times this was no fun at all. Plus a few different sources. Whew! I have new respect for reviewers!!!

It was never hard to hear the differences between amps. They were always sonically very different. Ah, but what did those differences mean???

Well thank you for your report and your time, very appreciated !

My pleasure! I figured there had to be at least a half a dozen of us interested. :)

And I feel lucky as hell to have friends who made this all possible. The strength of my wallet certainly would not have supported it!

Back
Top Bottom