Great contact line stylus for Stanton 681?

Shakedown

I am looking for a contact line stylus to go with my Stanton 681eee cartridge, not an elliptical. Something real close to the Stereohedrons, getting a vintage stylus can be a hit or miss and expensive. Anyone still make them out there?

Last edited:
Voice of music has aftermarket and the Jico Shibata isn't an elliptical, but is bonded. Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE is another one you can use.

The vividline has the same tip dimensions as the Stereohedron II. The edge is 0.2mil , the same as an elliptical but the line contact goes deeper into the groove.

Now those Vividlines are so called "hyper-elepticals" correct? How does that differ from a contact line?

Of course I could get a retip on the one that came with my 681, for the price of a Jico it's getting awfully close to doing that.

Too bad they don't make the SAS for these Stantons to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Now those Vividlines are so called "hyper-elepticals" correct? How does that differ from a contact line?

Line contact should have a smaller, finer tip. Microline/SAS even smaller than that. I would ask for the exact stylus tip dimensions if you can, they are usually decent enough about asking questions. Then compare that to well known brands to give you a frame of reference of just how small/fine the stylus tip actually is.

Of course I could get a retip on the one that came with my 681, for the price of a Jico it's getting awfully close to doing that.

Too bad they don't make the SAS for these Stantons to my knowledge.

I don't see one on the Jico website. I would imagine the Shibata @ $167 will get you pretty damn close to the performance you seek. I would like to try a Stanton with one eventually myself.

Are you searching for a LC-Linear Contact stylus ? :idea:

That is a name that Audio Technica uses for one of their more advance stylus.

I don't see one on the Jico website. I would imagine the Shibata @ $167 will get you pretty damn close to the performance you seek. I would like to try a Stanton with one eventually myself.

I like those SAS needles for being nude like the originals, the Shibata bonded.

Folks, Stanton styli of all the major brands are the toughest to get right. And the aftermarket is a major pain to get anything which performs on par to Stanton or Pickering originals. The LP Gear VividLine is the closest thing to a StereoHedron, but it to my ear is closer to an Audio-Technica than Stanton Moving Iron sound. Lots of hand alignment involved in making styli for Stanton or Pickering and also their cantilever and suspension system is very special. Expect to track the VividLine heavier than a Stereohedron will on a quality arm.

Pickering XL-33U's seem to come up from time to time, NOS, They are a very nice fit, kind of bright perhaps. This stylus will fit the 681eee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom