Great Dual Refurb

Dr_Wu

Newer member, I came here to find someone in NEOhio to work on my 20 year-idle Dual 1019. The advice I got was to just buy a Thorens or Japanese direct drive. Before giving up, I stumbled across The Vinyl Groove in Bedford, OH, and AK contributor Dave (vinylisfinal). Dave was not just willing to take on the job, he was genuinely enthusiastic about it. He just loves Duals (as do many others, I've learned).

I've just spent one of the most enjoyable afternoons spinning old vinyl on my perfect (and reasonably priced) rebuilt 1019. Plays as smoothly as it did in the 70s, and thanks to some cosmetic tweaks by Dave, looks better than ever. Here are some pics taken by Dave. I can't recommend anyone better to work on your system, or just talk to about vinyl.

Thanks again Dave!

Dual1.jpg Dual2.jpg Dual3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I'd like to know how he got that platter edge looking so nice. The 1019 is a fun table, enjoy!
That platter looks really good. I've got mine looking a lot better by just using 0000 steel wool and some polishing with a soft rag.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 66
Beautiful table--and Bedford, OH is not that far from me, so good to know there is someone fairly close by should I encounter something I can't handle myself.

ENJOY!!! :thumbsup:

I don't know what he used to get that platter looking like that, but I get similar results with Simichrome and a lot of elbow grease. I started using Simichrome back in the 70's to polish aluminum motorcycle casings--you can literally buff them up to look like chrome. I assume that Mothers Wadding Compound would do the same.

Cool Dual! (Like I coined a phrase there....) I've always wanted a 1019, or a 1229....next life, maybe. Sounds like you're having fun with yours. Congratulations, and enjoy....

Thanks all for the well-wishes. Of course, the enablers here already have me thinking of new carts . . . Can anyone ID the one that's on there? Recommend an upgrade? I'm sensing bass heavy, less bright and articulate vocals than I'd prefer. Using a solid state Yamaha receiver (R90) with phono and MM/MC options, and Polk SDA/CRS (1st gen - dual tweeters) speakers.

Appreciate the knowledge and generosity of the contributors here!

Last edited:
Various grades of steel wool/scotch brite -> aluminum polish is what I'd guess for the platter. Looks great!

Thanks all for the well-wishes. Of course, the enablers here already have me thinking of new carts . . . Can anyone ID the one that's on there? Recommend an upgrade? I'm sensing bass heavy, less bright and articulate vocals than I'd prefer. Using a solid state Yamaha receiver (R90) with phono and MM/MC options, and Polk SDA/CRS (1st gen - dual tweeters) speakers.

If the color of the cartridge is blue - Audio Technica ATP-2 cartridge with ATP-N2 stylus (.4 x .7 elliptical). :idea:

I'm using my refurbished 1019 as a dedicated mono setup, with an AT-MONO3/LP cartridge, and it ROCKS!!

Thank you for all of the great replies. To achieve the chrome look, i utilize a counter bench polisher using polishing stick abrasives. each platter takes about 45 minutes of bench work than 15 minutes of hand buffing with MAAS polish. The Dual turntables are great pieces that will last a lifetime or more if properly serviced.

i would recommend an audio technica AT95e coupled with a hyper Elliptical "HE" stylus upgrade

Back
Top Bottom