Great E-bay customer service!

JosephH

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Yes, you read that right. I know they get lumped up regularly, but I was Impressed with E-bay's customer service. I recently purchased a Sansui TU-9900 on E-bay. It wasn't a great transaction as the seller neglected to mention that the feet were missing! I contacted him and was told "too bad, use rubber bumpers like I did"
I found a set of genuine feet on E-bay and asked him to cover half the cost ($30 for each of us). He refused. So, I contacted E-bay, and since her sold it as "for parts" I could not return the tuner. Yes I know, that part is on me. I knew it was a parts unit going in.
What happened next absolutely floored me! The associate put me on hold and reviewed my E-mail chain with the seller, and while she confirmed that a non working/parts sale was non returnable for this issue, she issued a credit to my E-bay account for $30! She said that I was a good customer and she wanted me to be happy with the transaction. How about that? The consideration given me is worth more than the credit but I want to give credit where credit is due. On the bright side, the tuner is in amazing shape internally and externally, and the price was right at $300. It is now off to Mike at Radio X.

I purchase a lot off EBay and have been a seller since 1997. Generally they have been very fair when their was a problem. A couple of decisions I have not agreed with but overall they have been good.

The missing feet weren't obvious from the pics? Seems like that wouldn't be difficult to spot (unless the seller went out of his way to hide it).

eBay had a bad rep as being seller-centric, but I haven't had any bad experiences with them when I've had to make a claim against a seller. These days, I think it's the sellers that get the short end of the stick.

The missing feet weren't obvious from the pics? Seems like that wouldn't be difficult to spot (unless the seller went out of his way to hide it).

eBay had a bad rep as being seller-centric, but I haven't had any bad experiences with them when I've had to make a claim against a seller. These days, I think it's the sellers that get the short end of the stick.

Nope, it wasn't obvious even when I went back and looked after the fact. The bottom of the tuner does not sit flat on the surface, so it wasn't obvious. He was very careful with his photo angles. So he is a POS but I should have been more paranoid. Lesson learned. Ultimately it is on me as buyer. Also, I agree do 100% that life isn't so rosy for sellers. However, this wasn't the reason I posted, I just wanted to share a positive tale of excellent customer service. As a Call Center Manager, I appreciate the extra effort and consideration that I was shown during my call.

Back
Top Bottom