Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by BruceRPA, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

Today`s sharp & pointy selection is a Viper Start....(a friend referred to it as "a SERIOUS gentleman`s knife")

upload_2017-5-10_21-26-8.png

IPADave and xero-D-hero like this.
  2. MaxxVolume

Today was "Take your child to work" day for this Microtech Whaleshark.... :)

upload_2017-5-22_1-25-7.png

3. MaxxVolume

Yeah, I really like the blade-to-handle ratio on both of them....it gives you a LOT of useable knife in a relatively compact size.

4. MaxxVolume

Kickin` it OLD school today, with this little Stockman, the first knife I ever owned, and damn near as old as me. Truly surprised that I still have it after all these years....

upload_2017-6-14_0-46-22.png

BruceRPA, IPADave and xero-D-hero like this.
  5. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's great! :thumbsup:

I remember having a knife that very well could have been the same as yours. I lost track of it at least fifty(!) years ago.

6. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    I just picked up a couple of Kershaw knives.
    They're made by Kershaw but an Al mar design. Eric
    20170614_133928.jpg

MaxxVolume and IPADave like this.
  7. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

And here's a couple of Al mars I've had for a while.Eric 20170614_134033.jpg

MaxxVolume and IPADave like this.
  8. jami w.

jami w. just being me thats all

Mines a 4.5" stag knife.

9. MaxxVolume

Well....you know what they say here on the internet....
    "Useless without pictures !"

10. jami w.

jami w. just being me thats all

Its a plain skinning knife w a ripping hook.

11. MaxxVolume

You can describe it verbally until the cows come home....we wanna see PICTURES ! :)

12. MaxxVolume

Today, my daily ride along is a collaboration between custom maker Tom Mayo and Buck knives. Close to perfect for an EDC, it`s thin, light (titanium/S30V), extremely sharp, it pretty much disappears in your pocket.

upload_2017-6-21_1-42-38.png upload_2017-6-21_1-42-38.png

xero-D-hero and IPADave like this.
  13. Inspiribomb

Inspiribomb Enjoy the journey

Here's one of my favorites - Reate Horizon Ti with one of my custom machined beads.

[​IMG]

xero-D-hero, MaxxVolume and IPADave like this.
  14. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

NYC has extremely harsh rules for knife carry, dating back to the "West Side Story" days in an effort to fight switchblades & gravity knives. These rules are now being used against folks carrying box cutters & Leatherman knives, a lot of which are carried for legitimate purposes, i.e. contractors, store clerks, etc. It has gotten so bad I have taken to carrying a copy of the NYC Admin Code in my wallet, which states the maximum blade length is 4 inches, is not able to be opened by one hand via a "wrist flick" or some other means. It also has a ruler to show that my EDC Bucklite blade comes in at a whopping 2 7/8 inches, well within code.
    upload_2017-6-21_12-44-35.jpeg

15. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

Do the authorities get upset that the stud on the blade allows for one hand opening? Curious because my EDC is a Spyderco. It has a thumb hole for one-handed opening.

-Dave

16. MaxxVolume

Very nice....the knives from Reate and Kizer are quite impressive, especially considering their reasonable prices.

17. RT Fan

That is a bone of contention and part of the ongoing lawsuits against NYC by rights groups on behalf of knife owners. I guess it will depend on the officer in question & how he or she interprets the rules. Mostly it is the "flick" option, that the law is concerned with. There is no way to flick open my Buck, but if the cop in question is having a bad day, I guess they could give you a hard time.

18. MaxxVolume

This is a VERY sticky point in the state of NY....police have adopted the policy of gripping the knife by the spine of the blade, and using the weight of the handle to "flick" the knife open. If successful, the knife is categorized as a "switchblade/gravity knife", thereby creating a whole new class of criminals. This is why the pro-knife groups are fighting the existing laws.

19. RT Fan

That is BS, MAXX. They are looking for any pretense on which to charge you.I am glad my Bucklite has a plastic handle, it cannot be opened in that manner. I just tried and whacked my knuckle on the underside of my desk for my efforts!

20. MaxxVolume

A guy on one of the knife forums got unfairly hammered under these stupid-ass laws, here`s a couple of excerpts from his sad tale....

3/30/2012
    A while back I was stopped by police for lighting up a smoke to soon while coming out of the train station on my way to work. It cost me my Plasma 1 off (GTC) etc and I had to plead guilty to carrying a gravity knife and was also placed on 5 yrs. (Felony) probation. Fast forward to 3/16/12 probation came to my apt and order a search warrant after seeing knives in my home.

I was arrested on this day and released on 3/25/12 after my girlfriend paid the 10.000$ cash bail (a full Ten Thousand) ....every knife was taken except butter knives and steak knives. About 50 knives all gone, they are saying 5 of them are illegal. My Horton Halloween trench, Carrillo Tripwire, a one - off Mikkel Willumsen folder, a cheap Pakistan lockback folder and a cheap China auto.Also I had a few hundred dollars along with my credit card in a drawer that`s gone too.

7/13/2012
    Well its official, I had court today. I was offered a plea deal I had no choice but to take it.... they consider the folders that I owned to be gravity knives... 1yr Rikers, which I probably have to do 8 months. Sentence date thank god is after my birthday Sept 12. Thanks to all the Devils who showed love!!!!!!

Update: He wound up doing the 8 months....BAD Juju !