Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by BruceRPA, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Everybody should own at least one Victorinox SAK, they are a useful work of art ! Lost count of how many I`ve given to worthy recipients as birthday or Christmas presents !

dyche01, IPADave and stevo137 like this.
  2. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

A good knife is a good knife is a good knife....doesn`t really matter whose name is on it....

IPADave and BruceRPA like this.
  3. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Kickin` it Old School today, with this Carl Schleiper "Eye Brand", from Solingen, Germany (circa 1970). Carbon steel, takes (and holds) a VERY sharp edge, it`s a faithful workhorse of a folder....

upload_2017-7-1_15-49-0.png

4. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice craftsmanship!

5. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

From today`s "Sharp & Pointy" category....a Benchmade Contego. M4 steel is incredibly sharp....

upload_2017-7-8_15-38-12.png

6. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is that the 810?

I have not touched one of those yet but that looks like one great piece!

7. Inspiribomb

Inspiribomb Enjoy the journey

Great knife, but for some reason the size makes it difficult for me to manipulate the axis lock well. I prefer the Rift personally.

8. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Yes, it`s the 810. Quite deceptive for a knife of this size (i.e., LARGE)....slim and relatively lightweight, it`s easy to carry.

9. whyaskit

whyaskit music. Subscriber

IMG_4323.JPG

The two I most often carry currently. The Buck for pocket. The CRKT has a clip for my belt.

10. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Changing it up a little today, added this nice little Tom Lewis fixed blade to the mix. Don`t let the size fool you, it`s a tough little sucker....
    (My ever-present Benchmade 580 barrage looks quite large by comparison)

upload_2017-7-12_23-7-42.png

11. dyche01

dyche01 "Buy high. Sell low" Subscriber

Ooh, I love this guy.

12. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Man, it just doesn't get any better than this. Outstanding designs, top quality materials, high quality craftsmanship, beautiful art, and useful tools all wrapped up in one pocket size item. How can a guy, or a girl, not love it!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    whyaskit and MaxxVolume like this.
  13. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Yep....knives are very likely among man`s first tools (going way back to pieces of chipped obsidian, which is razor sharp), we are still fascinated by them !

14. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Not exactly an "every day carry" knife unless maybe you live in the wilderness, but I will be carrying it for the next day or two.

ESEE Laser Strike

20170714_211831.jpg

15. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

@MaxxVolume I said it before, that Tom Lewis is a beauty!

-Dave

16. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Thank you, Sir !
    It`s size makes it a very useful tool (without scaring the sheeple to death :) ) , while being nice to just look at and fondle as well..... "functional work of art" is what I call knives like that.

17. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

Exactly how I would describe it. Just like a custom bicycle frame: a combination of art and engineering.

-Dave

18. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Very nice ! To me, that looks like about a perfect-sized field knife (maybe between 4 and 5 inches ?)....tough, and good ergos, extremely useful in just about any situation.
    One of my nephews has some property up in Vermont, we were doing a little woodscraft a couple weeks back, I was using this Rick Mok camp knife, made of 3V steel....it`s tougher than a 2-dollar steak !

upload_2017-7-15_16-30-13.png

432HzBob and Boozehound like this.
  19. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

That Camp Knife you have there is one sweet-looking rig. Great steel too, tough and good edge holding.

Yeah, the sharp edge is about 4 1/2". With the choil it's about 5". The ESEE is a more mundane 1095 but Rowen puts a great heat treat on it so they hold up pretty well. I'd looked at some higher end woodcraft/bushcraft type knives but figured I'd ease in. :)

20. James Hart

James Hart Webguy :: Bassist

one of these 3 are with me daily. My early 90s Leatherman, my 2008 Buck custom shop 110, and my 2010 Marshall Hall custom.
    [​IMG]

The Buck was a Christmas gift from the wife, she has had a habit of taking possession of my knives, so had me one made that read "Handsoff James Only", the MHK was built to my specs, I wanted a thick, tall, and stubby blade with a 3/4 size handle. Short enough to be legal most everywhere and strong.

Marshall also made me a pair of His & Hers Chef's knives. He had a killer design for the regular one, I had him scale the second one down to match my wife's hand. I carry the other 3, but these I use significantly more :)
    [​IMG]

432HzBob, MaxxVolume and xero-D-hero like this.