1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by BruceRPA, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Very nice ! To me, that looks like about a perfect-sized field knife (maybe between 4 and 5 inches ?)....tough, and good ergos, extremely useful in just about any situation.
    One of my nephews has some property up in Vermont, we were doing a little woodscraft a couple weeks back, I was using this Rick Mok camp knife, made of 3V steel....it`s tougher than a 2-dollar steak !

upload_2017-7-15_16-30-13.png

2. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

That Camp Knife you have there is one sweet-looking rig. Great steel too, tough and good edge holding.

Yeah, the sharp edge is about 4 1/2". With the choil it's about 5". The ESEE is a more mundane 1095 but Rowen puts a great heat treat on it so they hold up pretty well. I'd looked at some higher end woodcraft/bushcraft type knives but figured I'd ease in. :)

3. James Hart

James Hart Webguy :: Bassist

one of these 3 are with me daily. My early 90s Leatherman, my 2008 Buck custom shop 110, and my 2010 Marshall Hall custom.
    [​IMG]

The Buck was a Christmas gift from the wife, she has had a habit of taking possession of my knives, so had me one made that read "Handsoff James Only", the MHK was built to my specs, I wanted a thick, tall, and stubby blade with a 3/4 size handle. Short enough to be legal most everywhere and strong.

Marshall also made me a pair of His & Hers Chef's knives. He had a killer design for the regular one, I had him scale the second one down to match my wife's hand. I carry the other 3, but these I use significantly more :)
    [​IMG]

MaxxVolume and xero-D-hero like this.
  4. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice!

-Dave

5. James Hart

Thanks, I have a bunch of 'in progress' shots of the MHK stuff, it really adds to the value to me. Here is just as the scroll work was finished

[​IMG]

My wife has an EDC that lives in her purse, I had this little "Tree Rat" made for her a few years ago (different maker, not in Marshall's league). The handle is the same material my Iowa farm boy Grandfather's EDC pocket knife was made from.
    [​IMG]

The builder poked around my websites and saw I was a musician, so he surprised me with a guitar pick made from the handle material too
    [​IMG]

xero-D-hero, IPADave and MaxxVolume like this.
  6. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

THAT is beautiful.

7. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Those chef`s knives are sweet ! Got any details on them ? (steel, blade length, balance point, etc.)

8. James Hart

I don't recall exact details... but it is Crucible CPM154CM stainless steel. I've been using them steady for a few years and still haven't had to sharpen them.
    Here they are without handles. My EDC on bottom has a 3 1/4" blade
    [​IMG]

Here is his Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Marshall-Hall-Knives-106102362776875/

xero-D-hero and IPADave like this.
  9. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind Subscriber

Very nice, I've never seen a filet knife nearly as nice.

James Hart likes this.
  10. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Definitely "Droolworthy", outstanding craftsmanship !

James Hart likes this.
  11. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for posting that picture. It's cool to see the the knives in their "raw" state.

-Dave

James Hart likes this.
  12. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    A couple of days ago some of us were listing our favorite Benchmade knives.
    Well here's my little collection. AFCK fighters. 20170716_130944.jpg

James Hart likes this.