Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by BruceRPA, Dec 29, 2014.

1. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I used to carry a full size Grip but it now needs to be sharpened by a pro as I've touched it up a few times myself.

I've been carrying a cheap little Kershaw "Crown" and it's surprisingly good for the price. Only complaints: 1) I've actually bought four of them (one for me, one that was defective, then later one for SWMBO and one as a backup) and one of them was defective. However, the cost was less than half of one Griptilian, so there's that. 2) The one I'm carrying, there's a little nick in the micarta. On the flip side, I have determined that I like micarta or G2 (my Emerson CQC-7) grips better than the plastic used for the Griptilian. Just MHO.

If I ever step up my EDC game I will probably get another Griptilian with a better steel for the blade and then have some custom Micarta scales made. Or I'll get myself a Wilson Combat ELC with cocobolo scales... now there's a purty knife. I'd feel bad banging that up though.

2. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

The handle on mine is the basic glass-filled nylon. The material and texture fit my hand nicely. The upscale G10 seemed a little slick to me. I looked at a Crown, but there was a bit of play in the pivot. I asked to see another sample, but they had only the one. This blade is CPM-20CV steel, and is supposed to hold its edge well. I guess I'll find out. Otherwise, I like the fit and finish, and how it feels in my hand. I looked at several Spydercos, a few ZTs, some Bucks, and several Benchmades, of various styles. I kept coming back to this one.

3. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

The Case factory is in Pa so I went for a ride on the Burgman and bought a couple of "show" pocket knives .
    [​IMG]

4. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

5. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

That`s awesome !
    "Paying it forward" is, to me, a big part of "the knife tradition"...over the past 40+ years, I have gifted probably 3 dozen knives to worthy recipients....many SAKs, Gerber LSTs, Buck 110 & 112, and Sharp Finger (fixed blades). Special people get special knives, like the McCusta Damascus folder I gave to a lifelong friend several years back.

IPADave likes this.
  6. luvvinvinyl

Nothing so grand has ever graced my hand. Still, that old Craftsman was priceless to me, an old friend. Now, a new head, and hand, and heart, will treasure it, hopefully long after I shuffle off. I have every confidence.

I think my father would approve.

MaxxVolume likes this.
  7. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

A Griptilian is a fine knife. I have a lot of respect for the "axis lock" as it neatly solves the problem of having your hands in the path of the closing blade that you have with lockbacks and frame locks. It may not be the sexiest knife out there, but well cared for I don't doubt it'll be still around in another 50 years.

I really do need to get mine sharpened. Thanks for reminding me.

8. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Once again you have proved yourself to be a good man Ernie. Your young friend sure sounds like a worthy recipient of your confidence and your heartwarming generosity.

Good choice with the Griptilian too.

9. luvvinvinyl

Y'all gon' make me blush.

Seriously, throughout my life, no matter what might go awry, I have been blessed, countless times, by having people come into my life, who have made my life rich. Every one of them, for a reason. Sometimes the lesson is mine to learn, other times, to teach. On lucky days, it is just pure joy of the heart. Like this day. I swear to you that I got more from the giving, than he did from the receiving. I got to see through my father's eyes, through the very same knife, treasured memories of the long-ago day, rushing to the fore. I understand him a little better. He is still teaching me, though he has been gone for ten years.

Every day we have the opportunity to be a blessing to someone, if only we are watching for the opportunity. Listen to your heart, and you will not go far wrong.

MaxxVolume likes this.
  10. luvvinvinyl

I think you are right about the Mini-Griptilian. It rests easy in my hand, and seems like it is just 'right' for me. Working it open is almost automatic, already. The shape of the blade suits my eye. It seems a bit strange to carry a knife that I bought, but I'll get over that.

Down the road, someone will get a fine blade.

11. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

The recent nostalgic tone of this thread has prompted me to pocket my first-ever knife, given to me by my Grandfather when I was about 8 years old. Still amazed that it`s still around....
    Best wishes and respect to all who have participated in this thread, we share a common bond....

upload_2017-8-10_2-0-18.png

70'sAudio likes this.
  12. dyche01

dyche01 "Buy high. Sell low" Subscriber

Very similar to mine, except for the serrations. I love almost everything about this knife except for the fact that, after you carry it for a while, the clip invariably comes loose and to re-tighten it you need a torx driver.

IMG_0996.JPG

13. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Words to live by.

14. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    Good thing Benchmade sells a torx head toolkit.
    I just can't seem to find mine.
    On a separate subject. Has anybody ever sent a Benchmade back to be sharpened/serviced? I'm a thinking the afck I carry daily has a stripped screw. Eric

15. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's a great story, very touching. He sounds like a fine young man. It's also a fine thing that you recognized that.

-Dave

16. dyche01

They only make folding knives to support their torx-head tool business.

17. Eric n Kc

Hey
    If the toolkit thing don't work out ,maybe they could have a small level of success in knife making. Eric

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    dyche01 likes this.
  18. 70'sAudio

70'sAudio Where it All Started for Me Subscriber

This Reminds me of My Old Timer I got from My Dad.........I Miss My Dad.

[​IMG]

,Mike. :smoke:

zebra03 and IPADave like this.
  19. dyche01

Have you guys ever watched the Reality TV show, 'Forged in Fire'.

It's like Project Runway or Great British Bake-off, except for knife and sword makers. Each week four (I think) smiths compete by making three different blades.

I have to say I find it weirdly addictive.

20. Eric n Kc

Hey
    I might of seen it once or twice. ;)
    It will keel. That guy is cool, the other judges while very knowledgeable sometimes grate on me. Maybe have guest judges.
    Some of the crazy weapons they build at their home forges gets me.But I guess making a different weapon every episode would be a stress. Eric