Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by BruceRPA, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    And the smiths don't act like a bunch of asses. Two thumbs up. Eric

2. dyche01

dyche01 "Buy high. Sell low" Subscriber

YES! "It will KEEL." I love that dude.

3. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

This is my friend Ryu Lim....he was a Forged In Fire Champion pretty early in the show`s history. He grew up working in several blacksmith forges in his native Philippines. He has excellent metalworking skills !

upload_2017-8-11_14-46-0.png

4. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind Subscriber

The boar spear episode was especially telling when they tested them on whole pigs.

dyche01 likes this.
  5. Output Relay

Output Relay New Member

I find Forged in Fire one of the best shows of it's type on the "tube". I've grown up with a knife of some sort in my pocket and enjoy getting a view into how they are hand made. Having spent the larger part of my life being left handed, with thirty five plus years of that as a finish carpenter, I've got a great deal of complaint with tool makers for trying to convert me to being right handed. Some years ago a good friend gave me a Tidioute 1095 carbon steel Left handed single blade pocket knife. Unlike a left handed monkey wrench this knife is truly left hand oriented, takes a keen edge and holds it. Over the years I've found a few lefty tools but none so handy as to be able to open your pocket knife without having to think about.

6. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

The Craftsman I got from my father could be its twin. Apparently our fathers were both good judges of blades. Those knives just never quit.

70'sAudio likes this.
  7. luvvinvinyl

The fellow who sold me mine warned me about that. I have the correct driver bit for my 1/4" hex driver. I took the screws out, and gave them a tiny drop of purple Loctite 222. That is the one that is low-strength, for small fasteners, and is ideal for this job. Of course, now that I have it safe, I'm wondering if there is a 'deep-carry' clip. Knives are as bad as audio.

Oh, and I'm considering braiding a short lanyard out of some 1/8" leather lacing, with a carved wooden bead. Or silk cord with a netsuke.

8. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

I just caught the war hammer episode. Very cool.

9. luvvinvinyl

Anybody 'deep carry' a folder like this? Benchmade doesn't offer a deep clip for the Mini-Grip. Would anyone know whether one for a different model would fit?

Or point me toward a good source for this info, please?

10. MaxxVolume

Yes, there are folks out there who will do various mods for you, including new clips. Here`s one list, there are more out there....
    http://zknives.com/knives/links/mods.shtml

One of my Benchmades with a deep carry clip, I think this one was from "Tuffthumbz", who unfortunately, has closed his books and is not taking on any more work....

upload_2017-8-13_23-7-48.png

upload_2017-8-13_23-8-52.png

swamppirate likes this.
  11. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

wow , I just happen to be staring at an Old Timer knife in front of me . It was my step-fathers . Are they a good knife ?
    [​IMG]
    Mine has NRA on the main blade .

RT Fan likes this.
  12. luvvinvinyl

I carried mine for about 50 years, and it was in fine shape, and worthy of being passed on to a new owner. It's like anything else, I guess, from that time period. Built to last, and, if you take care of it, it will.

zebra03 likes this.
  13. luvvinvinyl

Thanks for the tip. I'll peruse the list. I found myself on a forum called everydaycarry.com. (Imagine that!) and learned that Benchmade has some clips that fit the Mini-Griptilian, and they ship them out, for free. I saw a pic of a titanium one that intrigued me, for less than $10. Man! This is worse than audio!

14. MaxxVolume

Yeah, tell me about it !
    I have lusted over both knives and audio for most of my life.
    (Then you can factor in cars, motorcycles, guns, custom-built bicycles, and old film cameras :) )

15. luvvinvinyl

I can get past all of these, no problem.
    Cars - Big deal when I was young. Then I discovered girls. Cars would have been cheaper
    Motorcycles - Learned I have a serious speed jones. Still do. I stay off of motorcycles
    Guns - I'm Canadian. Not easy to come by, over here.
    Custom-built bicycles - I'd settle for a stock one. I need to be about 40 pounds lighter.
    Old film cameras - My old film cameras were purchased new.

For me, 'knives' meant kitchen knives. My father's knife was always enough, in my pocket. Now I have to get comfortable with this Mini-Grip. I'll get there, but it will take a while, I think. I don't see me collecting an array of pocket knives, but I definitely see the attraction.

16. MaxxVolume

Today, it`s an old (circa around 1980) Gerber Bolt-Lock, a collaboration between Gerber and Blackie Collins. I`m pretty sure this was the first folder I ever owned with a full-flat grind on the blade (most folders in those days were hollow-ground, in the fashion of the Buck 110). When I first used it, I remember thinking "Man, this thing slices like CRAZY !"

upload_2017-8-18_20-41-18.png

IPADave, ilusndweller and xero-D-hero like this.
  17. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

A Schrade "Old Timer" made in upstate NY. A classic that has stood the test of time. Last I checked Schrades are now manufactured in China, like so much else today.

18. MaxxVolume

I would also prefer American-made knives, but in the last couple of years, I have seen some damned fine blades coming out of both Taiwan and mainland China. Manufacturers such as Kizer, Reate, Stedemon, and even Spyderco are offering very respectable blades from China.
    I`ve been considering purchasing one of these;

The full-Titanium version with S35VN blade runs just over $200, they also have a less-pricey Vanguard series (with G10 handles, liner-lock, and VG-10 steel) for around $80, which is a good deal for a knife of this quality.

stevo137 likes this.
  19. MaxxVolume

Today`s choice is the Viper Start (from Maniago, Italy, the same factory that produces Lionsteel). Haven`t handled this knife in a while, almost forgot what a nice knife it is, considering the reasonable price. SHARP, too !

upload_2017-9-4_18-1-6.png

stevo137, IPADave and xero-D-hero like this.
  20. swamppirate

swamppirate Super Member

Benchmade automatic
    image.jpeg