Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by BruceRPA, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi Dave,
    This was called the "Lightening", Model 170, it was a limited-production run from around 1997 or `98, you don`t see many of them around. Very cool little knife, smooth-operating and extremely sharp. Now considered a collectable.

IPADave likes this.
  2. MurrayLives

MurrayLives Born to lose, live to win Subscriber

4A5B8C4A-680E-4F53-9F72-7B3390D8E9FB.jpeg

DPX makes a great EDC knife. Deep pocket clip, glass breaker, “bottle opener” (which is really a rip-off of Emerson’s wave opener), frame lock, and a 2.25” blade so it can be taken almost anywhere. A PITA to sharpen, but otherwise a great knife.

3. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

4. MaxxVolume

Today`s choice is a vintage Schrade 130T, from the early `70s....

upload_2017-11-27_23-6-1.png

James Hart, xero-D-hero and IPADave like this.
  5. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

Nice! I really want a Made in The USA Shrade/Old Timer folding lockback (largest size, two brass bolsters), theyve got all different names like bear paw, cub, etc depending on size. I was pricing them about a year or two ago and they seem to go for about $80(new, old stock). Ive got a large Shrade (I think their Old Timer brand) lockback with a partially serrated blade and a very large handle (plastic with rubber sides) that is very nice. As you mentioned your Grandpa gave you his Old Timer, so did mine (though my stepdad ended up with it thinking it was his). Probably one of the more affordable quality knives of the time. The softer plastic sides (Delrin?) are classic even though they are....plastic. I actually bought a set of the newer (China) Old Timers at Dicks for cheap and they appear to be of reasonable quality. The dimensions and construction of USA made and newer China Old Timers are slightly different. They definitely are not of the same quality as the older USA Shrade/Old Timer.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. MaxxVolume

If I see anything for sale on the secondary market, I`ll pass it along to you....Happy Hunting !

7. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

I purchased one of these. There was a substantial price increase, it cost me $19.05 shipped from China. ;)
    I got it in less then a week! Expedited shipping cost me 10 cents. I agree that it's surprisingly well made.

-Dave

soundmotor likes this.
  8. soundmotor

That is still a great deal. Which site did you order from? I got mine of dhgate.com.

9. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got it from fasttech.com.

-Dave

10. Redboy

Redboy a few good watts Subscriber

This one gets a ton of pocket time.

Les George ESV

7F57CD6F-B047-4D83-8F5F-168FCFCF5441.jpeg

xero-D-hero, James Hart and IPADave like this.
  11. soundmotor

I have to try them, dhgate is slooooooow.

12. soundmotor

If that's your EDC load out you might start looking for a Bat utility belt.

:D

Redboy likes this.
  13. Redboy

Redboy a few good watts Subscriber

It's pretty representative. Sometimes there's more...

I try to be disciplined about the EDC stuff because it really cuts into my audio fun money!

14. soundmotor

I've gone total Scottish on my EDC for another reason, I lose stuff. After I blackholed my last ~$60 folder (and it replacing another I'd lost) I went to the sub-$20 Ganzo. Same for a ~$35 ThruNite LED flashlight + Eneloop battery, ouch! It was relaced with a sub-$3 Sipik SK68 AA light. Not really missing the pricier ones either. When I hike (and pretend it really matters) I take along better quality gear but banging in & out of my car day-to-day I leave the "good" stuff at home. My hot tip for batteries are Japan made 2450mA NiMH ones from IKEA @ $6.99 for (4). They are higher capacity than the Eneloops for ~1/2 $$$. Close to 1 year with them and zero complaints.

Redboy likes this.
  15. MaxxVolume

Hi Folks,
    The time has come to start thinning out some of my hobby-related stuff, so I will be selling off a number of knives from my collection.
    If you have any interest in anything, please PM me and we can discuss the details.
    Regards,
    Bob

16. James Hart

James Hart Webguy :: Bassist

I'll need to revisit the thread to remember what you have... Maybe you could post a group shot of stuff you are looking to move and we can PM for details.

I've been a month without an EDC since I started a new job Nov 6th. I was just thinking I might start carrying again now.

17. MaxxVolume

The photo quality of group shots is pretty crappy, plus, I don`t want to violate any of the TOU agreements set by the forum mods....you can say something like "I am interested mostly in fixed blades", and I will send some pics....

James Hart likes this.
  18. James Hart

James Hart Webguy :: Bassist

Just to clarify, I still have my knives... just haven't carried any to the new gig.

I'll shoot you a pm tonight :)

19. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

I see no reason to switch from my trusty Klingon D'K Tahg, Great everyday carry piece.

[​IMG]

Eric

IPADave and MaxxVolume like this.
  20. MaxxVolume

I can picture Lt. Warf picking dead Cardassians out of his teeth with that blade.... :)

(Is that a Gil Hibben knife ?)

IPADave likes this.