Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by BruceRPA, Dec 29, 2014.

1. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

I picked up a Condor Mini Bushlore awhile back. Great and inexpensive knives, a combo you don't often find.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. James Hart

James Hart Webguy :: Bassist

my early 90s Supertool lives in my laptop bag, it has gotten a bit of use at the office recently

[​IMG]

IPADave and MaxxVolume like this.
  3. Redboy

Redboy a few good watts

I've kinda fallen back into the EDC thing recently, with a renewed interest in flashlights...

It's been tough on the audio fun budget.

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3415.JPG

4. soundmotor

MaxxVolume likes this.
  5. Redboy

Redboy a few good watts

It’s a bottle opener... technically.

MaxxVolume and soundmotor like this.
  6. RayW

RayW Parrothead with a badge Staff Member Super Mod

I've been looking for one of these since they came out and I was a poor college student and couldn't afford a decent knife. Finally caught up with one on ebay and snatched it up. I really like it for EDC. It's a Tekna Hidden Edge from the early 90's. Super light, locks open and closed, and so far seems to hold an edge well.

hidden edge.jpg

soundmotor likes this.

7. soundmotor

Tekna made some cool pieces. I've had a few of their auto-sheath retracting knives. I think I had one like yours too. Do you squeeze then turn at the base of the blade to open it? I had one that looked similar (if not identical) but don't recall the maker. That's how you opened it.

8. soundmotor

...nudge...nudge...

I have an 80s el cheapo 2-finger bottle opener while my son has a collection of some rather expensive short run ones from the Jerzee Devil forums plus a Dalton. They can go for some real coin especially when in titanium. I always keep looking for a legit set of Civil War ones. Widely used by both sides, usually cast-iron but also lead & brass.

Redboy likes this.
  9. RayW

RayW Parrothead with a badge Staff Member Super Mod

You squeeze the lock button and use a knurled bit on the backside of the blade to bring it out. Although with no spring, you can just push the locking button and flick your wrist and it will open pretty easily.

I've had a Tekna Micro Knife for ages. Is that the sheath retracting one you mentioned?
    tekna micro knife 2.jpg

10. soundmotor

Yep, I had one of those. Did not recall it was Tekna. The action is just like the Gerber Paul knife of the same era. I gave it to a buddy who loved how light it was.

My retracting ones were serrated on both sides and not very useful. The one you show is much better but I've never come across one.

This is an original Gerber Paul from ~1980 (web pic), first "high-end" knife I ever bought, still have it. Real dumb design flaw though. The allen-hex "screw" is actually a friction fit cam to adjust blade open tension. Under perfect circumstances it can be pushed out. I carried mine one weekend and put it away without looking. A week or so later I'm wearing the pants I had on and find the part in my pocket. This after going through the wash, the piece is a little bigger than a BB. I pulled it out and it dawned on me what it was for. Go look at the knife and that part was missing, oops. Probably the last time I carried it.

[​IMG]

Boozehound, IPADave and MaxxVolume like this.
  11. ZR9B

ZR9B AK Subscriber Subscriber

15240092690361178643766.jpg I have had this one about 25 years...i carry a nitcore led...i have 3 or 4 of those 15240092690361178643766.jpg

IPADave, MaxxVolume and soundmotor like this.

12. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff"

If those mini Spydercos are made from the same metal as the police Sprydercos, they are super hard and almost impossible to sharpen. I had a side job of knife sharpening at the theater I worked at. All the road crew would bring me their Spydercos to be sharpened. The plastic handles Spydercos were easy to sharpen with the Spyderco sharp stix, but the police model would take 45 minutes to an hour to sharpen. That was even using the diamond coated sleeves over the regular sticks. I warned people with Spydercos that it was better for the knives to send them back to be sharpened. Using the sharp stix eventually will wear down the sharp points. I found it better and less destructive to sharpen just the back side. It was still time consuming.

13. elcoholic

elcoholic AK Subscriber Subscriber

I send my 50/50 serrated Spyderco Wayne Goddard in every couple of years for sharpening. The G2 stainless isn’t too hard to keep sharp on the smooth part, but they do a much better job on the serrated part than I can do with a little triangle stone.
    image.jpg

Eric n Kc, IPADave and MaxxVolume like this.
  14. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep, sure....
    As it`s been said, "Your mind is the most dangerous weapon". For sure, the proper mindset will provide an almost unlimited variety of "field expedient" (improvised) weapons.
    Take, for example, this innocent-looking dog collar (formerly worn by my dog named "Bolts")

upload_2018-4-18_20-26-50.png

When deployed in a slightly different manner, it becomes a short manrikigusari, and a quick flick of the wrist will cause any recipient to have a very bad day....

upload_2018-4-18_20-30-6.png

15. CT_Ohio

CT_Ohio Active Member

Dragonfly? I have one (straight grind), would like another but damn they got expensive for the size. Now if I could only find my Spydie Cricket... that was my EDC for a long time.

16. ZR9B

ZR9B AK Subscriber Subscriber

Mine is the co-pilot and yes they got very pricey.

17. MaxxVolume

This old (late `70s) Buck is a nice little user....

upload_2018-4-20_16-13-10.png

IPADave likes this.
  18. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

My late father carried that same Buck.

19. MaxxVolume

In the pocket today is a Benchmade #470 Emissary, an Osborne design. Aluminum frame, super light weight (2 oz.) Excellent build quality, feels good in the hand. Probably fits into the "Gentleman`s Knife" category....
    upload_2018-4-26_12-17-40.png

James Hart and IPADave like this.
  20. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey! That’s my knife!

This thread started with my initial purchase of a Mini Griptilian and a full size Griptilian. They didn’t work out for me because they opened in my jeans as I was removing them from my pocket. I returned them and bought the Emissary that you have. I really like it and it has served me very well since then.

James Hart and MaxxVolume like this.