Great Lost Bands 1968 - 74

Theophilus Punoval

The Queen says it's OK...
Back in the days when giants roamed the Earth, there were some great bands that disappeared before their time. The provided the soundtrack to many an 11th grade makeout party with wine, liquor and....*gasp*....weed, Indian prints hanging on basement the walls, colored lights and parents gone for the weekend.

There "FM only" bands like The Blues Project, the first Blood Sweat And Tears with Al Kooper, Love, Thunderclap Newman, Pearls Before Swine, Canned Heat and others. Now they're gone and just the mention of them makes my old bones creak.

Cream, the Stones, Doors and Hendrix were played but they were too successful for the underground designation. Steve Miller wasn't underground, but hip enough that he got his spins before he became mainstream.

Can anyone else call to mind any more of these outfits? I've got Gram Parsons, the Small Faces, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Hot Tuna, but anything with Rod Stewart doesn't make the cut. Blue Cheer didn't ring true in the ears of the girls, but every now and then someone would put on Buffalo Springfield.

I know I'm forgetting dozens.

Since you mention Buffalo Springfield maybe The Flying Burrito Brothers or The Nitty Gritty Dirt band may meet your definintion of Underground.

Since you mention Buffalo Springfield maybe The Flying Burrito Brothers or The Nitty Gritty Dirt band may meet your definintion of Underground.

Versions of the FBB with Gram Parsons for sure but not any afterwards. GP had underground cred for jamming with the Stones. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was too light in the loafers to be hippie makeout party music. Some guys would play the Jim Kweskin Jug Band and later Geoff And Maria Muldaur.

I can't believe I forgot Country Joe, with or without The Fisn!

Last edited:
It's A Beautiful Day.
Renaissance.
Argent.
Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Masters of the Airwaves. I played the vinyl 'til it wouldn't play anymore. I've been looking for a new copy or even a rip for decades.

Kelley

Three Dog Night would be another, popped up in '68 and started to slip into obscurity by '76. They had some great songs, "One" being my favorite of course.

BTW, they just put out a couple new songs last year after an extended hiatus.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
You want lost/obscure.:scratch2:...here's a couple of bands from the late 60's....for every major band that released an Lp, there's probably a thousand unknown ones that just released a couple of great forgotten 45's or Lp's - these master tapes are no doubt crumbling into dust as we speak...:tears:

The Arbors - I Can't Quit Her 1969 - Made a couple of Lp's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTNOC6gSgVk

Hyle King Movement - Forever N' Ever 1967 - Only released a couple of 45's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_4KrBZVJk

Last edited:
Love was a band that was played alot around my haunts. There Forever Changes is a bona fide RNR classic. Sky Saxon and the Seeds is another band out of L.A. which was under ground. had one of the first songs about maryjane out there, Mr. Farmer.

Two From Texas.......

Howdy, Lou......( by the way, your old avatar was Awesome).....( still not sure about your handle)......

Ahem....back on topic....Two From Texas........Bubble Puppy....( Hot Smoke and Sassafras).....and Fever Tree.... (San Francisco Girls)...............very mind-expanding in '68 with black-light, incense....and without the Devil Weed......( little later for me).....

Both have entries on Youtube.......probably music only, with collage visuals.......

I'm going back in time right now, to check these out.........willhowl:smoke:

McDonald and Giles
Renaissance
Jimmie Spheeris
It's A Beautiful Day
Nektar
JF Murphy and Salt
Aliotta, Haynes and Jerimah
Mason Profitt
Graeme Edge band
Pavlov's Dog
Rare Bird
Runner
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Aphrodite's Child
Triumvirat
Billy Thorpe (postdates era)
JD Blackfoot
Barclay James Harvest
Mama's Pride
Klaatu
Nantucket
Chilliwack (a bit more popular than the rest)
Wishbone Ash
Max Webster

...there's a good starter list. This is also stuff that I listen to fairly regularly.

Anyone remember Spirit of St. Louis? or Armor? or USA?

Edit: add more

Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies
Arthur Brown
Chaser
Chuck Fancour
Ian MacGregor
The Status Quo
Missouri
Marillion
Gypsy

Last edited:
13th Floor Elevators

The Fugs

West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

Country Joe & The Fish

Holy Modal Rounders

Shiva's Head Band

Moving Sidewalk*

American Blues*

* merged to form ZZ Top

Last edited:
My older brother used to have a poster for a band called Barabbas, and I keep finding records by a group called Lazarus (i always buy them because they are on Amazon Records which has a really cool pic on the label of a cavewoman.) That is alota biblical references for such "heathen" times.

Last edited:
Ten Years After

King Crimson, lineup 1 (1968-1969)

King Crimson, lineup 2 (1971-1972)

King Crimson, lineup 3 (mid-1972-1974)

Three Dog Night would be another, popped up in '68 and started to slip into obscurity by '76. They had some great songs, "One" being my favorite of course.

BTW, they just put out a couple new songs last year after an extended hiatus.

Regards,
Mike

Three Dog Night was not an underground band. That is part of Lou's description of these gone before their time.

When your lead singer develops an ego and a drug problem, that is not a "slip" into obscurity. That is fast tracking it.

Gentle Giant - one of my all time favourits

Back Street Crawler (Later became Crawler) - the album 2nd Street was made after guitarist Paul Kosoff died of a drug overdose and was brought back to life. After the album was complete, he died again, for good. A very fine album, eerie at times

The Groundhogs - My favourite is Crosscut Saw

Beacon Street Union - If you want '60s psychedelic acid rock, check out The Clown That Died At Marvin Gardens

Beggar's Opera - Pathfinder is the one to have

Black Oak Arkansas - Rock your butt off

Kelley

Back
Top Bottom