Great UPS Shipping

CDFixer

Number 1 USC Trojan Fan
Thought I would send you a picture of the fantastic shipping that UPS does. This was shipped from Lake Arrowhead, CA to the LA Area about 100 miles.

I am not defending UPS but how was that packaged ?

Grumpy

The majority, but not all, of the damage problems are because of the way it was packed.

Once in a while the shipper is at fault, but usually the packing methods are deficient.

I agree on the packing material, let's hear it.

I've shipped heavier things farther, and never had an issue. Only 'busted' gear I have received was packed poorly.

Cheers,
Russ

If something is packed properly.. and even "over packaged" it shouldnt get damaged unless something really bad happens like it gets run over my a plane or something. I shipped a Mc240 from hawaii to ny parcel post. the one that takes a month.. and it got there just fine, even a couple of the corners were smashed in. but i packaged the thing to withstand a nuclear blast. its heavy too. was something like 3 lbs under the limit for parcel post. i think it was 70 lbs or something.

This was how i packaged it in just the first box. but the newspaper was replaced with bubblewrap when i found a huge trash bag full behind a department store (score!) on top if this i had a second bigger box which this sat in with bubblewrap all around it, for like 3 inches. the box was bulging when i finally taped it up with about a whole roll of tape lol.

I worked at UPS....

....about 20 years ago. Absolutely no loyalty.... Gawd I hated sorting packages in the middle of the night. But I was in college and needed the moo-la. Picture this:

The load shifts during transit, leaving a pile of boxes against the trailer door when it's time to unload it. They force it open, crushing a few boxes, then a dozen more fall out 4-8 ft to the dock, or even bounce to the ground another 5-6 ft down. This was not uncommon in December, when the trailers were overloaded.

Imagine that your heavy receiver or amp is one of those falling boxes. Pack it to survive a 10 ft drop! And if it is a heavy item, make sure that the outer box has cutout handles on it to encourage safe handling. If they are available, someone is going to use them on a heavy box.

Nowdays I ship vintage gear by Fedex Ground (or Express if the receipient is willing to pay for it). I guess it is better, but who knows! :confused:

The problem with buying gear on ebay is that the seller has only their reputation to inspire them to pack really well ....and usually a cost incentive to pack cheaply. If you are in doubt, pay the seller extra for boxes, bubble wrap, sheet foam, etc. when you purchase a valuable item. Let them know you are concerned and tell them how to pack it.

RobV

Last edited:
You all have good info on packing here!

Maybe this will help out some sellers who view this site(and I don't necessarily mean members, I thing the casual forum reader who just happens to be passing through).

Could save a few broken hearts when receiving that beloved antique/collectable shipment at your door.

Ron

It was packed with foam packing and bubble wrap. The driver dropped the box on its corner from about 6-8 inches and I heard rattling inside. the forces on the receiver where great enough to pull the case mounting screws out and strip the threads in the side panel. (I am Glad that I have another side. They also bent the bottom panel.

Also, this will be fixed!!!! I will post before and After pictures of this 990DB. I works great. Just looks like :puke:

Was it double boxed with 2 inches of sufficient packing in between each box? If not it was packed wrong. Sorry but as was pointed out here sellers could give a crap about packing once they get paid.

When I ship its at least 1 1/2 inches of bubble then foam then bubble the box then repeat again with bubble for the inner box and more foam. Not to mention if its a heavy bugger like that one prolly was use a 200 Lb double walled corrugated outer box. Will it hold up to an 8 foot drop ? prolly not but at least its within UPS regs and if something were to happen I would have a check in my hands in 7 days for the damage....Happened only once outta the 100's of pieces Ive shipped but its reassuring to be to know they settled with me easily.

Now the post office on the other hand just loses packages.

FedEx ? Well in the few items I have received through them it appears they went to the throw your package across the room first then run it over followed by a bit of a slowdown before they throw your package from the truck in your yard school....

Grumpy

This one was not double boxed, However, all the rest of the 9090dbs and 990Db that I have received (7 total) all were transported by Fedex, some were not as well packed as this one. and none of them had any damage. I'm not trying to prop up Fedex but the boxes are in much better shape when they get here. This one was crushed pretty badly.

I ship Fedex ground

I sell on ebay regularly. I always overpack. I have shipped two rare Martin Guitars via FedEx ground. I insure to the hilt and have never had a problem.

Is this a plug for Fedex? Well I can print the labels from my pc and have FedEx come and pick up the parcels or I can take them there and not have to get in a line. I just put it on the counter and say ciao.

"Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over".

Frank Zappa

:D

Back
Top Bottom