Greatwood's System

GreatWood

Currently switching CD's and MP3's to Vinyl.
NAD 1700 Pre
2 x NAD 2400
NHT 2.1
Velodyne powered Sub

Looking for the right TT starter setup....As you can tell I have an affinity for the old stuff.

Looking for another CD Deck (my Denon bit the dust) and TT

Suggestions on tt are appreciated.

Want to get into a TT that will allow for future upgrades. Not sure if I'm a DD or Belt fan but leaning towards belt (Dad had an AR XA that I grew up with.) I liked the minimalist approach the AR XA had. For me it's all about achieving great sound on a budget.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nice list of gear!

I have a Harman Kardon T-55C belt drive TT that is great. Also, for DD you may look into the JVC QL-A line.

I owned a QL-A5 that was seemingly better than my H/K.

Rome

Welcome to AK! Speaking of AR turntables, I just picked up an AR-XB myself. It sounds very good as it is. I may modify it someday; we'll see. Thorens is another that that can be upgraded. There are others (you'll learn more if you search the AK turntable forum)....

Some good sources for vintage, belt-drive turntables: your local CraigsList, thrift stores, garage sales, rummage sales. Good luck!

Maybe also consider a Idler Drive like the Lenco L75, by all reports they are awesome after some tweaking.

Some of the better Thorans are also Idler, or is it Idler & Belt combos like the old 124 and 125's?

For a CD player maybe look at a Marantz CD50, moddable too.

Thanks for the interest of helping out vinyl noobs...I'm scanning the bay and CL daily hoping for a TT score...Keep You guys posted

Yay!

I found a Garrard Zero 100 on the CL for $25.
It appears that some gorilla-fingered-moron was too heavy handed on the actuating levers and it shoved the cam-follow that controls the arm, out of the correct groove. I've since cleaned the entire mechanism but am getting inconsistent run speed ...meh. I think it's because the "works were jammed up and they continued to try and run the motor and burned up a lot of the idler wheel. There was rubber shredded everywhere. And, there appeared to be a mis-shapen lump of it on one side of the idler.

Does anyone know where I can get the idler replaced / fixed/ o-ringed (heard this was a way of not having to send in the idler for new rubber)?

So Garrard Experts in-the-house. Throw the dog a bone here...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom