Green Book

qdrone

Music is my mistress
Based on a working road trip to the white south beyond the Mason-Dixon line in the 1960's. Its loosely based on interviews of Jazz pianist Don Shirley and Tony Lip, an Italian bouncer hired to provide security. Security was needed, Nat King Cole was brutally assaulted in Birmingham Alabama in 1958 while performing so Tony was hired to keep Shirley safe.
Along the way these two start a life long friendship as they open up to each other. Their views of each other change,Tony a casual racist comes to accept black people and Shirley depressed because hes felt racism has kept him from the musical career he coveted as a classical music pianist come to adopt a roll with the punches mentality.
The acting is top notch,I see both actors getting oscar nods and the soundtrack is filled with amazing soul music of the 60's,,nuggets that I never would have been introduced to if I hadn't seen the movie. I hope they put out a soundtrack,I would buy it. Highly recommend this movie for the holidays.

Yes The Green Book offered lodging for Africain Americans because hotels and businesses were segregated at this time in our history in the south.

Just saw a documentary on The Green Book on Smithsonian channel,quite interesting. More than 44 counties along Route 66 were Sundown towns. I also found interesting that most hotels in The Green book were owned by black wonan,they were well represented in a time when woman were considered bad risks for business loans. Kudo's to them.

Back
Top Bottom