Greetings from a new 500C owner...questions and photos inside

I had some time this morning to work on the unit. I took the face plate off and didn't expect to find access to the selector switch pot blocked by the brown metal plate behind and surrounding the dial glass. If I need to remove the brown plate and dial glass it looks as though I will also need to remove a few other things from the rear of the brown plate. I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the tuning dial and string...also the lamp light wires are connected and will have to be removed. I just wanted to check and make sure there isn't another way to get inside the box surrounding the selector switch before continuing. Thanks

Now that I know what you're talking about, don't do that. For some reason, I wasn't following that you couldn't access the switch contacts.
Flip the unit over and remove the bottom chassis cover. That switch is accessible from under there.

Audiodon, thanks for all your help...it's much appreciated. I replaced the face plate and removed the bottom chassis cover but still don't see how to access the speaker selector switch. The other pots (volume, loudness contour, phono/radio selector, bass, treble and balance) are visible from bottom chassis. The tuner control and speaker/headphone selector are above/below the other pots. The tuner shaft and wheel are visible from above but the speaker selector is inside that darn box:sigh: I'm a bit confused...sorry if I'm missing something simple:scratch2: I won't have any time tonight or tomorrow but maybe I should post some photo's of the speaker selector switch area from above and below the chassis?

Home for lunch...took a few photo's. Top chassis photo shows box covering switch..box is riveted onto chassis. In the bottom chassis photo you can see the selector switch shaft below the exposed bass pot. Viewing the inside of this receiver is a totally new experience for me but from what I can figure the only way to get at the speaker selector switch is to either permanently remove the box covering this area (don't want to do this) or removing the face plate, dial glass and tuner string. What do you think? Thanks, Bayen

Attachments

• DSC01079.jpg
    DSC01079.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC01081.jpg
    DSC01081.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01082.jpg
    DSC01082.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC01078.jpg
    DSC01078.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 25
I'd spray thru the holes before taking that apart. The cleaner comes with a spray straw. Spray, move 20 times, repeat.

I've had little time to mess with the switch. I did try using a flashlight and magnifying glass in an attempt to get a better look inside the box...I need to know exactly what and where I need to spray. I'm gonna hold off on cleaning until I understand what's surrounding the switch. I still need to build a dim bulb tester and study the schematic before beginning the mods I plan on doing. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find more info on cleaning or replacing the speaker selector switch

That cover is a RF Shield and Dust/dirt cover. You can't access the pot from the frame area behind the Dial Face, as it's a solid sheet. Even if you loosened the shaft of the pot, you'd still have to remove the cover.

The pot is just like all the rest of them in that it has a slot in the casing where the contacts go thru.

To gain access you must remove the shield/cover. Very small drill to drill out the rivet. Once you get it all cleaned out and finished, reassemble using a sheetmetal screw.

Larry

That cover is a RF Shield and Dust/dirt cover. You can't access the pot from the frame area behind the Dial Face, as it's a solid sheet. Even if you loosened the shaft of the pot, you'd still have to remove the cover.

The pot is just like all the rest of them in that it has a slot in the casing where the contacts go thru.

To gain access you must remove the shield/cover. Very small drill to drill out the rivet. Once you get it all cleaned out and finished, reassemble using a sheetmetal screw.

Larry

Thanks Larry...sounds like a good plan. I was going to hold off and start my Metalbone kit sometime in the next week or so..but removing the cover sounds fun:thmbsp: I'll keep ya posted. Thanks, Bayen

Back
Top Bottom