Greetings from a new user - Rehabbing a Tandberg 2030

Westlind

Rank Amateur
Hi - I'm new to AK as of today. I picked up a Tandberg 2030 this weekend, and ran into this site when searching for tips on where to find adaptor cables for the DIN inputs (problem solved, thank you Ebay). It's in great shape and good working order, but given its age I view it as a bit of a project. In the short term, I'll be cleaning pots, replacing the FM Stereo indicator bulb, and some other small things.

My long term plans for the Tandberg are to do a full recap - I've been reading older threads from users who have done some of that, and I might be in touch asking for how your experiences were and what replacement caps you used (and where you found them).

Thanks - I've been enjoying the threads that I've read so far. This seems like a cool community.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to AK!

Is there a particular reason for your long term outlook being a recap? My own experience has been that - with a few exceptions, noted here many times - that this particular series of Tandberg receivers does pretty well in that department. Depends on the age and type caps but in general IME the last generation models esp. if built in the 80's rather than earlier in late 70's often do not present with any audible issues in that dept. Given its current working condition, you might take a more conservative approach to whole-scale part replacement - ymmv of course, but there is much to be said for having an all-original piece in that condition, vs. a modified one that has developed issues after being worked on, which unfortunately seems to happen a lot. The exceptions I mentioned are the 1000mF/63V filter cap on the +25V line which performs a fairly critical job that impacts other sections of the receiver, and in some models there are a couple of caps in the power amp that will cause DC offset to increase as they age. I'd do the first one unless you find a Siemens part there, which I have yet to see fail, and the other pair only if the DC offset is above spec at the speaker outputs.

BTW, the FM stereo bulb isn't, it's a standard red LED. Check to see if someone just plugged it in backwards, usually the LED itself doesn't fail but the connector will go on either way. If the LED is ok and not plugged in backwards, it's time for a tuner repair and likely an alignment as well (and no, replacing caps in the tuner isn't likely to fix a stereo issue).

Be delicate with those preset tuning knobs too, they are usually ultra fragile these days.

John

Thanks John. I appreciate the reply. I was only planning a recap because I assumed that an amplifier that old would need one. I'm really glad to hear that the electronic components in these are good enough that that might not be necessary. I haven't had a chance to get into it and see how well it's held up over the years. I only got to test drive it for about 10 minutes and under less than ideal conditions. I also appreciate the words of caution on the knobs which may not be the most robust these days.

No worries... when you get settled in here and have had some time to check out the receiver in more depth, let us know in a new thread what you're seeing & hearing and if possible, post some pics of the 2030. Couple of shots of the insides should help identify whether it's a later piece with fairly reliable caps overall, or an earlier one you might want to go through more thoroughly.

Thanks John. I appreciate the reply. I was only planning a recap because I assumed that an amplifier that old would need one. I'm really glad to hear that the electronic components in these are good enough that that might not be necessary. I haven't had a chance to get into it and see how well it's held up over the years. I only got to test drive it for about 10 minutes and under less than ideal conditions. I also appreciate the words of caution on the knobs which may not be the most robust these days.

John

[QUOTE="

BTW, the FM stereo bulb isn't, it's a standard red LED. Check to see if someone just plugged it in backwards, usually the LED itself doesn't fail but the connector will go on either way. If the LED is ok and not plugged in backwards, it's time for a tuner repair and likely an alignment as well (and no, replacing caps in the tuner isn't likely to fix a stereo issue).

John[/QUOTE]

I want to remove/replace the stereo led indicator from the glass Dial panel.

Hello I did read your replying post on a Tandberg 2030 jan 2017.

, I would like to know how to disconnect/ remove the Stereo Led Indicator from the Dial Glass. The red part is in front of the glass, on the backside is some kind of connector, which I dont want to break. In this connector there are two leads goiing in, and there are some metal clamping? springs?
Dirk ( Netherlands)

Hi autounion,

Always best to start a new thread with questions like that rather than adding them to the end of an older thread like this.

Answer though is the LED inserts through the plexi display piece, and the connector slides onto the two legs. Then they bend one or both legs behind the connector to keep it from coming loose. Straighten the bent leg(s) and the connector will come off, then remove the LED from the front of the display.

John

Welcome to the AK Crew.

As already mentioned, be really careful as some of that vint stuff gets brittle in age.

Q

Back
Top Bottom