Greetings from the road!

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by SuperjazzyJa, Jan 9, 2016.

1. SuperjazzyJa

SuperjazzyJa 18 Wheel Member Subscriber

This is an update thread. Fellow truckers are more than welcome to post updates, truckin' stories (even if they're tall tales) and other things driving related. Non-truckers are more than welcome to ask questions, about driving, especially if are thinking about getting into trucking, track progress, etc. Hopefully, this will be a fun thread.

I'm now in Phoenix with my mentor waiting for an oil change. We were supposed to go to San Bernardino, but someone else is taking it the rest of the way. This is what my mentor was hoping for since he hates driving in California. Hopefully, we'll have a load headed somewhere North or East of here soon.

I took this picture yesterday in Ft. Stockton, TX.

20160108_084902-picsay.jpg :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    rxonmymind, Cactus Bob, ETLS and 4 others like this.
  2. Satcom123

Satcom123 Super Member

Home away from home. Looks like a comfortable ride. My son (20), worked OTR for JBS and he did the Texas California then up to Oregon and back route. He also did the NY to FLA. He really liked it. But two years he quite and got a job locally hauling grain.

Rome and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  3. rBuckner

rBuckner Luv 2 Restore Subscriber

You're a brave man James to get behind the wheel of that thing! The biggest thing I ever drove was a 24' Ryder truck with my old 240Z on a trailer behind it. I'm hoping for the best for your new career and will say a prayer for your safety (from the idiots on the road with you) when it comes to mind.

4. SuperjazzyJa

I have always enjoyed driving regardless of the type of vehicle. I can go for hours without stopping. I don't know if I will enjoy OTR or prefer local later on, but I do enjoy driving the truck. He's got the inside all customized with chrome controls.

As for the 24 foot Ryder, I rented a 26 foot Penske once. If you can handle a 24/26 footer, you could drive an 18 wheeler. Yes, there is more to it, but you can do it.

5. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

I don't know how truckers back their rigs into loading docks with just inches to spare on either side. It's amazing. The best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

Rome and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  6. SuperjazzyJa

We back in slowly and carefully, watching our mirrors. Not sure about something? G.O.A.L. Get Out And Look!

7. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Greetings to the road!!!

:):):)

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  8. Kevin D

Kevin D Active Member

Good luck to ya !!! "SAFETY FIRST"

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  9. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

Keep on truckin James! Looks like things are on the uppity it. To a great 2016 my friend!

SuperjazzyJa and HarmanKardon like this.
  10. Denten

Denten AK Subscriber Subscriber

Like I said before, for every low in life, there is a high, and you my friend, are on your way back up! :thumbsup: Thanks for the update and please stay safe. :)

SuperjazzyJa and ilusndweller like this.
  11. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

This, Super!

Looks like a nice Kenny there & the sleeper should be a comfort to ya for awhile! :D
    Nothing like a home bed!

How many days are you out & the territory you're covering?
    I tip my hat to ya as I didn't do OTR man, jus' a beast to do. When I first started driving I could have gone with J.B. Hunt, but chickened out. 3 days out & 2 at home! Geesh!

One rule I lived by was to always check my equipment & don't change lanes in haste, use those mirrors like your life depends on them.

Honk for me if you pass through ole Dallas! :D

Rome

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  12. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Yea Bob,
    Blind side backing is the test that all drivers must show their metal. There's nothing to it once you get the hang of it like other stuff. What a lot of drivers don't do is get out & see what's going on when backing is tight! That's why they succumb to accidents in hitting something on the yard!

Safety First!

Rome

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  13. bhebbel

bhebbel Well-Known Member

Good to see you back in the saddle James.

[​IMG]

bobsvinyl and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  14. SuperjazzyJa

^^haven't done that yet! :D

15. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

There's a bear at your back door! :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  16. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Hey buddy.... Can you pull this thread over to the right hand lane? There's a line of threads behind you, just waiting to pass....

<G>

Glad to see you enjoying your new course in life.

SuperjazzyJa and bobsvinyl like this.
  17. mulester7

mulester7 LIVE from Lake Ouachita

18. SuperjazzyJa

^^I love it M7!

mulester7 likes this.
  19. savatage1973

savatage1973 Super Member

Nice job!!! Seems like you made it and are on the road back up (pun intended). Do they always run teams of drivers for their long runs, or will you eventually be on your own after you complete the program?

mulester7 and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  20. SuperjazzyJa

Thanx. Once I have done about 200 hrs with my mentor, I will have the choice to drive as part of a team or go solo. I'm leaning towards solo. There are pros and cons to both. We'll see how it goes.

mulester7 and Rome like this.