Greetings from the road!

So how does that work - the company you're driving for calls you and says "Take this truck to Phoenix.". Now you're in Phoenix. You just hang around until the company calls you and says "Take this load to <wherever>?" Is it up to you to pay living expenses etc while you're waiting?

Basically how does the organization of what loads you take where, happen?

So how does that work -

I haven't been doing this long enough to really answer your questions. What I can tell you is, we got a load going from Laredo to San Bernardino on Thursday last week. My mentor arranged to drop it in Phoenix and have someone else continue. Since Friday night, we have been waiting at the Phoenix terminal along with a bunch of other drivers for another load. We were just assigned a load last night. Our trailer is being loaded as I type this. We slept in the truck and showered in the terminal since the showers are free in the terminal. We've had to pay for food. That's about it. Apparently, this is a lull typical of early - mid January. Hopefully, it'll pick up now.

That's the life on the road, hurry up and wait. I drove local for about 10 years I would have runs where it took 1 hour to get somewhere and 5 hours to get unloaded. I was being paid by the hour though.

What do you have for a cb?
I run a Cobra LTD with an RFX and then going into a Palomar Hi Drive.
All work was done by "screwdriver" in South Florida.
I am not much of a talker but at least I don't sound like an amateur.This rig is installed in my pickup truck,a Silverado with a Duramax.
Do you try to hit up local sales and ads for stereo gear whenever Time permits?

Well, we ended up dropping the trailer at the El Passo terminal. I stayed at a La Quinta last night (paid for by Swift) and might do so again tonight. We're hoping not.

I see a lot of beautiful sights while driving. Too bad I can't take pictures of them. The mountains in Arizona for instance, haven't seen them in over 40 years. Just like I remember them.

Well, we ended up dropping the trailer at the El Passo terminal. I stayed at a La Quinta last night (paid for by Swift) and might do so again tonight. We're hoping not.

I see a lot of beautiful sights while driving. Too bad I can't take pictures of them. The mountains in Arizona for instance, haven't seen them in over 40 years. Just like I remember them.

Yea Super, that's a tradeoff for OTR drivers. Man, the mountain scenery & countryside is really a thing for the soul to behold, alas it just passes you by as you must keep rollin' to the next plateau! :D

At least you are getting to sleep in a nice bed for the time being & enjoy that my friend!

Don't forget "Safety First!"

Rome

Arizona, my adopted home since we left my native California, is indeed beautiful and so varied in views and vegetation. I've loved something about every part of our beautiful country that I've seen. We are privileged to live anywhere in it's borders but I'm preaching to the choir I know. :biggrin:

It's 1:11 pm Mountain time and I am still in El Passo. The only city in TX not on Central time. I was so hoping to get out of here this morning. Chock one up for Willie, "I just can't wait to get back on the road again."

I called it "El Paso El Gasso" when I passed through with the kids one time. Cracked them up! Of course Mom wasn't in the car so I didn't get in trouble. :thumbsup:
I dislike hurry up and wait situations too and I bet it's something you'll just get used to over time. I hope so anyway!

Last edited:
I drove truck for Travis Valley Trucking hauling doubles of tomatoes from the San Jauquin Valley through Pacheco Pass back to Gilroy California, driving old top loaders.

^^ Driving with double trailers looks.....interesting. Hats off to you.

My mentor calledme this morning. Said we got us a load goin' to Laredo tomorrow. I can't wait. La Quinta hotels are nice, but I gotta get out of here!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom