Greetings from the road!

Hang in there--the times, they are a' changin'...

Other than the issues of being unappreciated and underemployed (like 90% of the population), is there anything we can do to brighten your day? :)

Just realized I forgot to plug in my truck last night--let's see if a less than 1 week old diesel starts at 5 degrees and -13 wind chill--crap...

Did you apply for the Haliburton jobs?
Not yet. I have to move carefully right now. My new roommate is a rat and he lies when doing so. Otherwise, there are other reasons why I have to get away from these guys before making such a move. Has to be done in steps.

They have online application, head out to the library. Those clowns sound as if they're on the wrong side of the pavement.

We didn't work Friday, Monday or Tuesday. It rained Monday and Tuesday and was supposed keep on raining all week. So, Wednesday morning, we drove the 5 hours to Midland, TX and got rained on all the way. We worked yesterday, but it rained all last night and the plants were closed today. Boy, did it make a lot of sense to come here! :confused: Both trucks broke down on the way here too.

I'm not too down even though we only worked one day this week. At least I was driving the green hornet and not the red one cylinder wonder. I would like to know whose bright idea it was to put a lawnmower engine in the dump truck pictured here:

1491679972-picsay.jpg

Thanks one and all for your support and encouragement. Y'all are awesome! :thumbsup:

Next time you hear the Air Dryer kick in, think of ole Nine Speed, Rome! :)

Rome
Ever drive a truck with a 10 speed? The green hornet is one of 3 trucks I have driven with 10 speeds, NOT super 10. I find it to be consistently the smoothest shifting transmission around.

Ever drive a truck with a 10 speed? The green hornet is one of 3 trucks I have driven with 10 speeds, NOT super 10. I find it to be consistently the smoothest shifting transmission around.

Hey there SJ!
Naw, only the Eaton 9 speed tranny in the Freightliners. Had a chance to drive a 10 speed in a Kenworth, but switched back to the Freight. They had a smooth transmission back then. Been a long long time my friend! :)

Rome

I can already hear the general manager of the Honda dealer across the street when he shows up tomorrow morning. "WHAT THE HAIL IS WRONG WITH ALL OF THESE CARS?!?!"

We had a hail storm here in Mid-yawn-land this afternoon. Thankfully, it waited until I got back from church. I was part of a thimble full of people who showed up. Hopefully, they'll get a permanent pastor AND a congregation soon.

Hey there SJ!
Naw, only the Eaton 9 speed tranny in the Freightliners. Had a chance to drive a 10 speed in a Kenworth, but switched back to the Freight. They had a smooth transmission back then. Been a long long time my friend! :)

Rome

Thanks for your input Rome. It's always good to get insight from former and current truckers. :thumbsup:

My personal experience with 8s & 9s is that some are pretty smooth. Others will fight you every time you try to shift. The red truck has the 8 with low and granny, so it actually has 10 forward gears and 3 reverse gears. It's pretty smooth. The International I drove briefly had the same trans and it was rough. The truck I drove for Swift had the 9 and it was very picky. While I was stuck at the Denver terminal for 10 days, they had some of us do a training exercise since we were there. The instructor had a 9 that was super smooth. All the 3 of the 10s I have driven so far are smooth as butter. :thumbsup:;)

Thanks for your input Rome. It's always good to get insight from former and current truckers. :thumbsup:

My personal experience with 8s & 9s is that some are pretty smooth. Others will fight you every time you try to shift. The red truck has the 8 with low and granny, so it actually has 10 forward gears and 3 reverse gears. It's pretty smooth. The International I drove briefly had the same trans and it was rough. The truck I drove for Swift had the 9 and it was very picky. While I was stuck at the Denver terminal for 10 days, they had some of us do a training exercise since we were there. The instructor had a 9 that was super smooth. All the 3 of the 10s I have driven so far are smooth as butter. :thumbsup:;)

Good stuff, SJ!
At least you've driven some nice rigs, I cut my eye teeth :D on '73 Ford L9000 series. Steering wheel as big a a refrigerator, also it came right up to your belly, no power steering, that dreadful split-axle tranny with low-high speed for each gear that you had to shift! Geesh!
Really a lot of fun when the temps were 100F or higher during our brutal summers, did I mention no A/C! Woof! :)

Ole nine-speed Rome!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom