Greetings from the road!

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by SuperjazzyJa, Jan 9, 2016.

1. SuperjazzyJa

SuperjazzyJa 18 Wheel Member Subscriber

Thanks guys! We're attempting to launch again tomorrow, Lord willing.

Knighty knight all.

2. SuperjazzyJa

Well, we finally got going only to get stuck in Lamar, CO. I not only did my usual thorough pretrip of truck and trailer, I went over everything twice. Not only that, but my friend/brother/roommate checked everything that he knew to check twice. So, the oil in all of the hub seals was checked 4 times. One of the hub seals must have leaked. Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, we were stuck on the side of the road 4 miles into Colorado in the rain. We were able to get it situated with help from a tech and a guy with trailer well enough to get to Lamar. At least we are in a nice hotel (Quality Inn) for a couple of nights. Neither my buddy nor I got any sleep from early Tuesday morning until last night.

I will keep y'all posted on what develops.

3. Christian B

Christian B AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ouch! For want of a nail.... comes to mind. Hope you're back in operation soon.

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  4. SuperjazzyJa

The foreman brought us to Midland to get the red truck. From there, we went to New Braunfels for the other trailer and equipment which we brought back to Denver. The green hornet and trailer are still in Lamar. The 3 of us have been functioning on a serious sleep deficit since Tuesday. We try real hard not to have break downs, but it never works.

5. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

SuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuperjazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyJa!

Just saying Hi!

SuperjazzyJa and HarmanKardon like this.
  6. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

Hope you got some sleep since Sunday, SJJ!

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  7. SuperjazzyJa

^^ We slept all day Sunday and have been catching up since.

8. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Good news, I get very grouchy if I haven't had enough sleep :)

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  9. SuperjazzyJa

Our backup paver broke down on Wed and again on Thur. First 2 hydraulic hoses broke. Then, a bolt holding the right extension broke. So, the bosses had me drive the old, red truck with 3 tired mice peddling a crankshaft under the hood pulling the empty trailer to Lamar with the foreman riding shotgun. We were supposed to drive to where the good equipment was, load it up and come back.

All the way down, I was toying with the notion of going to the shop where the other trailer sits waiting to be fixed and switch trucks. The green hornet was sitting there so that the shop could move the trailer as needed. As we were nearing Lamar, one of the bosses called the foreman and said to do just that! Best news I've heard all day!

So, with the green hornet, the immeasurably better truck pulling the better trailer, we picked up the better equipment and got back to Denver one heck of a lot faster than we got to Lamar. :thumbsup:

John James likes this.
  10. SuperjazzyJa

The bosses are now talking about replacing both trucks. I won't miss the red one at all, not even a little bit. The green hornet on the other hand, I'll have to take antidepressants when it goes. They claim that I will be driving an even faster truck, but with an auto-RALPH-matic transmission. Shifting is half the fun of driving a big truck! Give me an Eaton-Fuller 10 speed (NOT the super 10) any day! Don't know how I'm gonna handle this. :no::no::no:

11. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Just go with the G. H.

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  12. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Tell 'em Rome says to give you a Freightliner, case closed! :D

Rome

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  13. SuperjazzyJa

G.H.? Maybe I'm too tired to think at moment, but what is that?

14. ETLS

The G.reen H.ornet.

HarmanKardon, Rome and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  15. SuperjazzyJa

Oh yeah, Duh! Anyone know how much a new brain costs? I could really use one of those.

HarmanKardon likes this.
  16. ETLS

Heck, I'd loan you mine. It hasn't done much for me the past 57 years.

17. riksors

riksors Active Member

Jan. 9, 2016 was the original post to today. Incredible!

I must admit I read the first post but did not read all 40 pages. With all the miles logged-in, there's got to be an interesting experience in between.

Be safe out there!

HarmanKardon and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  18. SuperjazzyJa

I found out today that the truck that the bosses are planning to buy has an Allison transmission. That's a game changer! Most truckers who have driven trucks with automatics said that they don't last and you don't have the control that you have with a stick. However, the Allison is a whole different story. Tanks and Chevy/GMC pickup trucks have them. I am on board with this! :thumbsup:

19. SuperjazzyJa

Lol! We're in the same boat!
    A lot has changed since the first post. I went from driving for Not Very Swift and not staying in motion for very long to driving dump trucks for a paving company often pulling the trailer full equipment. It's been an interesting 18 months.

HarmanKardon likes this.
  20. SuperjazzyJa

After a long, tiring week, I got to go to downtown Denver today. I got a slightly overdue haircut, had lunch at Chili's and found something that I looked for all last summer and couldn't find. I found a red Ralph Lauren Polo shirt! TJ Max is good price wise, but whether you find what you want is hit or miss. I also had a couple of iced coffees at coffee shops. Finally harvested some of the fruit of my labor. :thumbsup:

ETLS, John James and HarmanKardon like this.