Gremlins

Mike Gibson

Modulator
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
I decided to clean up the listening room after it was invaded by a swarm of gnats and other vermin. I also wanted to slim the system down and remove a shelf so it's lower in height. After cleaning and assembling the system I noticed one channel of the active crossover is silent. So back I went behind the rack and checked everything about 5 times.

Still no luck so now I'll try and check the C-100 to make sure it doesn't have a dead channel. With this setup it's not just a matter of swapping things out. The amps are very heavy to me and the 2 chassis preamp is not fun to switch around.

So today I'll yard over some speakers that have built in crossovers and see where the fault lies. I'm naturally hoping it's the crossover and not the preamp. Nothing is ever easy now in the garage/listening room since my shop burned. All the replacement tool boxes & tools are in there also. So it's one of those move things three times to do anything kind of deals. :) There, I feel better now. :)

After shifting the lighter amps and testing I found the problem is in the active crossover where I hoped it would be. Lifting a 275 is awkward to begin with as all the weight is on the transformer side. Picking it up from the bottom shelf is even trickier as I have to slide it out far enough to get my hands under it without it tipping out of my hands. That almost happened once and I still have nightmares. :) Also being over halfway to Geezer City doesn't help matters.

There, I feel better now. :)

LOL

I found the problem is in the active crossover where I hoped it would be.

Good that's it's not the mac gear, and I think we kinda knew that. Hey time to simplify Mike? How about one amp to your speakers? Sometimes we change things and it sounds great at the time. We then acclimate to it and just leave it alone, it's good we're done. Then something like this happens and we try things set up how they might have been before, or we put something back in we pulled out. We sit down for a good listening and wonder why we ever changed it before or pulled out some equipment we had before.

I'm looking at active crossovers so I'll stick with that. To go back to passive crossover I'd have to build totally new ones as the Altec x-overs are in tar filled cans.

Mike, have you verified that one of the switches or pots in the crossover isn’t the culprit. I’ve had the same issue with two different crossovers ( a BBE and an Ashly - I bought each new ). In one cases it was the frequency multiplier switch for that channel. In the other case, it was the frequency setting control.

Good luck my friend!

You know I'm not very far away Mr. Modulator. What do you need help with at this point?

something is not plugged in all the way, obvious stuff but that's what it sounds like. If it turns out to be a faulty cap or diode shove it in my face. :)

I checked on the ART site and they say they don't stock parts for any gear not currently in production. So I'm just going to get another crossover. If I was flush I'd pick up a Marchand and call it a day. :) In the real world I inhabit I'll be looking at another ART, DBX or Behringer.

I've checked and rechecked the wiring, plumbed in a new amp, preamp and speakers so it's the dead channel in the crossover for sure.

You know I'm not very far away Mr. Modulator. What do you need help with at this point?

When I get the new crossover and the place cleaned up I'll call you and you can help me set it back up. I'm such a nice guy. :)

Back
Top Bottom