Grindhouse?

shrinkboy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
saw this monster last night-- three of the silliest hours i've spent in some time, except on certain afternoons of my work week when i have certain patients one after another--- tons of fun, and none of it even makes the slightest bit of sense. kurt russell in the tarantino segment playing 'stuntman mike' is absolutely hilarious...the film is two halves: one, a whole bunch of girls sitting around doing pointless tarantino dialog, which serves the purpose of getting to the equally pointless and totally gripping, mind bending chase scene...

the rodriguez section 'planet terror' gives new meaning to the term 'over the top'--an insanely over-amped, totally non-sensical excuse to put as much carnage, decay, and mayhem into every frame of film that can possibly be accomplished. and when rose mcgowan gets her machine gun leg, oh, man...

take some time out and go have some fun

This one is a definant, sit in a theater, munch on the popcorn, must see. I'm really looking forward to it, thanks for the review Doc...

Prolly WON'T go see it, but sounds like a good rental...Last several times I've gone to a theater, I swear I'll never go back-the trash, the feckin' 6'8" idiot RIGHT IN FRONT-wearing a cap, of course, the 17, 132 teenage grrrrls who are in a steady stream goin' back 'n' forth the whole movie, the at least 4 or 5 babies who are in EVERY audience nowadays per Federal law & who start screaming...or the little shithead behind me who kicks the back of my seat the whole time-when HE isn't screaming, of course...That gal needs to take her M-60 leg & straighten about half these fools out...

Just when I though Tarantino was slipping, then comes Grindhouse. Im looking forward to seeing it. Your right, his stuff is disjointed at best but I love his style. When he's on he's on.

RC

Sandy G said:
Prolly WON'T go see it, but sounds like a good rental...Last several times I've gone to a theater, I swear I'll never go back-the trash, the feckin' 6'8" idiot RIGHT IN FRONT-wearing a cap, of course, the 17, 132 teenage grrrrls who are in a steady stream goin' back 'n' forth the whole movie, the at least 4 or 5 babies who are in EVERY audience nowadays per Federal law & who start screaming...or the little shithead behind me who kicks the back of my seat the whole time-when HE isn't screaming, of course...That gal needs to take her M-60 leg & straighten about half these fools out...

Sandy,

I kind of agree with you - at least as far as a Fri, Sat, Sun, holiday showings are concerned. I will occasionally go to a theatre during the week during the day....small audience of adults who are usually quiet....and it's easy to move away from the idiot with the hat. I have found that I prefer netflix though....it's just easier and the popcorn is cheaper...

JimJ[VT] said:
I try to go to the latest shows I can. 10PM, or if they have one at midnight...

That might work too...except that I would sleep through the movie

:boring:

...An' by the time good movies make it down here to East Bumblefunk, they're usually 10th generation copies, or worn out w/so many splits, you just kinda say aww, thehellwithit...<grin>

Sandy G said:
...An' by the time good movies make it down here to East Bumblefunk, they're usually 10th generation copies, or worn out w/so many splits, you just kinda say aww, thehellwithit...<grin>

So, YOUR TOWN's cinema is the inspiration for Grindhouse!

Well I just got back from seeing this and I LOVED IT!
Three and a half hours whizzed by in nothing flat and I enjoyed every minute of it.

The fake "Trailers" are funnier than hell, advertising movies like "Machete" "Werewolf for the SS" and "Thanksgiving". :lmao:

I agree with Sandy about the rude people so I drove the 50 miles to Pasadena to see it at a more "Artsy" type theater where the audience is a bit more mature and respectful, it was great, not many people and the ones who were there were quiet and really into the film.

Last edited:
Forget high-brow culture- this is pure Americana teenage angst, dust, dents, bondo, and drive in pregnancy thrills...

I'm gonna pay someone $20 to sock me in the nose hard and $10 to kick me in the groin even harder (groin kicks are almost a dime a dozen- trust me on this), slip off a bit to douse my throat with a few home-mix margaritas made with Mr. & Mrs. T's, slick my hands with brake fluid and axle grease and transmission fluid, grab a greasy corn dog, a foot-long Marathon Bar, some Candy Root Beer Bottle-Caps and Fruit Razzles, a fistfull of tooth-rot Pixie Stix and a bucket of undercooked, over-buttered, greasy gum-damaging popcorn, and see this utterly trashy treat of Tarantino, this really Raucus Raunch of Rodriguez...

And enjoy it more than I enjoyed the aching, the itch and strain of puberty itself!

I remember in 1973 seeing Clockwork Orange in the backseat of a Mercury Cougar while my godfather tamed a "Cougar" with his mastery of the horizontal bop and his expert wielding of his meat baton in the squeaky vinyl olive green front bench seat of said Mercury cougar, with his recent 17 years and 11-months old hireee employee hairdresser, still smelling of a thick tacky film of Aquanet and industrial perm solution from her first day's work as a "happy hairderesser", earning her first week's rent away from mom and daddy...

And I remember in 1976 seeing Star Wars in a 66' Mustang, where the youngest member of the group that night dropped a slice of pizza on the sun-bleached pale dull pink hood, leaving a shiny scarlet oily triangle imbeded i the dulled flakey powdery paint to forever cement the memory of the night I saw Mark Hamill playing a young piss-pants boychild to the stud-muffin of the sex-in-a-leather-vest, carpenter-by-day-trade of Harrison Ford, who's knowledge of tenpenny nails was once proven on national TV live in front of Johnny Carson, and who's manhood musta been legendary, probably hooked and barbed like a tiger's phallus.

So, I hope Tarantino can pull off this attempt of a true roadhouse-style drive-in theater experience of the 70's, and match those thrills I experienced in the run-down drive-ins across the east coast, with their heaving rolling parking lots and aluminum housed pole-mounted speaker boxes, that you know, tore off the windows of numerous LeMans and Chevelles over the years when the pre-occupied driver hit the "hang ten" gas pedal cover on the floor...

I expect to come back from this flick with a nosebleed, a scab or two, an itchy scalp, sticky hair, the secret to how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop, Cracker-Jack flakes in my feathered bangs, a round tear in the knee of my Toughskins (but no damage to my knee flesh- thank lord for that double material!), Ju-jy-Fruits glued to my molars, popcorn Grease Stains on my randy "Who's a Pepper?" ringer T-shirt, and a Day-Glo Phillips 66 gas station condom stuck to my Pro-Keds...

Anything less, and I'll ask for my money back, and rent the double feature of "Girl on a Motorcycle" and "Two Lane Blacktop", some Brubaker, and use the rest to buy an oregano and reefer hand-rolled cigarette...

I have no idea what I just read, or what the hell it has to do with this movie, but I have no intention of re-reading it again to look for any connection.

thedelihaus said:
...well then, are you afraid of my scar... or my car?
You forgot acouple things, but being I probably did more drugs than you while reaching my manhood. I can't remember what I was going to tell you. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...what was I gonna say?:smoke:

tentoze said:
I have no idea what I just read, or what the hell it has to do with this movie, but I have no intention of re-reading it again to look for any connection.

Reminded me of "Howl"...you want to stop reading, but you inexplicably can't.

:banana:

Sandy G said:
Frankly, I think that the entertainment provided by the others in the theatre would be the most enjoyable part of sitting through this particular movie.
Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom