Grommes-Phillips 24PG

pontoon

Just got my hands on the innards of a Grommes-Phillips console! Integrated tube amp, tube tuner and garrard type a, mark iii. This is possibly a 24PG. It does say that on a metal plate that holds in the speaker selector, but it is cut out of something else and not necessarily part of this.

It looks pretty clean and turns on. Has 4 6BQ5 tubes. Tubes are Grommes.

It doesn't have a volume knob, just a loudness knob. It makes sound when that is all the way down. When I turn it up only one speaker gets louder. Something wrong with one channel.

Tuner works. Haven't messed with turntable yet. Bottom is covered with white/yellow crust so it's in basement awaiting careful cleaning. Read about cadmium and got freaked out (of course after wrestling this thing out of the console with white dust everywhere).

Anyways, just thought I'd share. There's not a ton of info about these amps online.

Attachments

• photo8.JPG
    photo8.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 188
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 191
  • photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 144
I'm going to have to figure out how to build a box for this thing.

There's a switch for stereo - mono - channel a - channel b. Would it be a good idea to bypass this and just make it stereo? Also, is the loudness thing not the same as volume or do you think they just called it that?

It looks like someone was in there before you as one speaker output transformer doesn't look like the other speaker output transformer.

This could be your one side volume issue but won't know until you have gone through it and given us a full report on inspection.

Loudness is the same as volume.

i tried an ipod through the aux and both channels are working. there is a crackle/rumble noise though, even with volume down.

i think this has pretty much sat in the same room since it was bought new and i don't think anyone has messed with it.

Post a better lighter pic of the top side. I might be seeing things but those output transformers don't look matched or factory.

On the flip side, if both channels work then we can assume and hope that who ever swapped the transformers (if they really were swapped), knew what they were doing.

contour one and two are equivalent of loudness/tone controls/filters. One boost the bass at low volume, one is scratch filter for 78s, something like that.

Loudness=regular volume control.

Leave the stereo/mono switch alone. No modifications.

If the tubes are good, replacing the caps in the preamp and those at the base of the 6BQ5 will probably fix your low volume issue. The crackle rumble noise is either tube or tube socket, but cademan should chime in also.

Last edited:
Here are some more pics. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1-2.JPG
    photo 1-2.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 109
  • photo 1-3.JPG
    photo 1-3.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 84
  • photo 2-2.JPG
    photo 2-2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 86
  • photo 2-3.JPG
    photo 2-3.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 3-2.JPG
    photo 3-2.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 80
All I can say is be very careful with that gear! It is very hard to come by....In my honest professional opinion it deserves absolute respect and knowledgeable proven methods of rebuilding it.

Thats interesting. I had no idea Grommes ever partnered with Phillips. It surely looks a lot more like I'd expect out of US-made Grommes than Holland-made Phillips at any rate. Is it just a branding thing then?

Shame you don't have the whole console. Looks like it was a blonde, which can look good in the right style. Then again in the wrong style it looks fairly hideous.

I will be careful not to do anything too drastic to this as I am a novice. I might need to bring this to a pro if it needs something serious.

Not sure if it's the same Phillips. This one has two L's and there's also Philips with one L.

I did get a look at the cabinet and can assure you it was hideous! Not to mention enormous. Hopefully I can figure out how to build something nice to house these components. It's a bit tricky because the faceplate had a piece of wood between it and the front of the amp. Plus it's rounded. I think if this was sold on its own it would have had a metal cabinet. If anyone has seen one of these or something similar, I would appreciate advice or pics. I've done some searching but haven't seen anything yet.

Than you for the pics. The output transformers are indeed matching. I think I was seeing the transformer on the left as the power transformer (Don't know what that was about :D), but it looks ok to me. Now on to the repairs and such!

Those outputs look as if they really mean business too. I think once you have gone through this carefully you'll be rewarded with sweet music.

Those outputs look as if they really mean business too. I think once you have gone through this carefully you'll be rewarded with sweet music.

Yes, healthy output transformers. Not those 'golf ball' sized transformers like in some other PP EL84 amps.

Grommes is still in business and on the Web. You can try them as I understand it has been under continuous ownership and produces or produced runs of it most prominent old time power amp, updated and last time I check at a near bargain prices for a pair of mono amps. It may have manuals, service and owner's, and may have info on the relationship with Phillips. I never saw a Grommes before with that so you have something even more interesting. Their designs, like Sherwood were from the minds of engineers and persons who listened to music and not a marketing department Frankenstein.

Grommes though not well known today or widely distributed back in the old days is indeed rare and well worth not doing other than keeping stock.

Back then Loudness as a control label was not uncommon in lieu of volume.

Back
Top Bottom