GrooveWasher record cleaner kickstarter

There seems to be a lot of interest in this! After two days it's almost reached the $7K goal... not bad!

btw, as I'm typing this, there's 1 super early bird pledge left - if any more AKers want to get in at the lowest price, better jump.

I like the idea of replaceable pads, and think it could well be an asset in maintaining record collections. I would liken it to hand washing a car, (rcm), then on occasion, taking it to a car wash for "sprucing up", (Groovewasher).

I like the idea of replaceable pads, and think it could well be an asset in maintaining record collections. I would liken it to hand washing a car, (rcm), then on occasion, taking it to a car wash for "sprucing up", (Groovewasher).
I still plan to Spin Clean all of mine and then use Groovewasher as a maintenance product

I don't read "Agree with Vince1 here" as sarcasm, but if it is, apologies. Feeling grumpy this morning. o_O
Yeah, no worries. I read that as he was agreeing to me stating that Steve was not doing anything wrong and actually being very helpful by contributing here. I could be wrong about this as I've only had half a cup of coffee this morning, but that's the way I interpreted it. In any event, I'm super glad you brought this venture to everyones attention.

So sorry Vince1 and MRL!!!! :confused:

I thought you guys were supporting Hi*Ball's post about setting up shop here on AK. You guys were actually defending me and I misunderstood and was lashing out against you.

I messed up. Please accept apologies. If the mods could clean up (delete?) from post #26 to #30, I would appreciate it.

I thought you guys were referencing Hi*Ball's post about setting up shop here on AK.

Sorry Dave. Didn't mean to be offensive. Just didn't think that advertising a product for sale was appropriate anywhere other than Barter Town.

Sorry Dave. Didn't mean to be offensive. Just didn't think that advertising a product for sale was appropriate anywhere other than Barter Town.
You're probably technically correct, but there are always posts about DIY's coming up with something and selling it (like a new consumer tape deck, or a cleaning wand). I think this particular venture is still in it's conceptual phase so I think it deserves exception, but I'll leave that to the moderators.

The fluid has a very low percentage of additives and all but one evaporates completely (it has a very slight lubricative effect) so the residue left on the record, or your turntable, is extremely low.

Hi Steve, I just bought some of your product. Nice looking stuff! I was reading around and saw this post. So the fluid is going to leave a little lubricative chemical behind? What compound is that? What was your decision in using this chemical and for what purpose. Is it an inert compound on vinyl? I didn't realize I would be applying a compound that would remain on the record. Did the old D4 fluid do this? I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Anyway, here's my initial impressions of the nice package I recieved from you today! Thanks for the fast shipping!

I just got my bottle of cleaning fluid from this new startup GrooveWasher. GrooveWasher - Record and Vinyl Cleaning and Maintenance System »
Not a bad deal at all. Eight ounce refill bottle (that's quite a lot, maybe the equivalent on five of the little red bottles of D4 fluid. Basically nearly a lifetime supply) for $10 SHIPPED. Came in a nice box with nice literature. I have lots of D4 brushes and I wanted to try these guys fluid. I haven't cleaned with it yet as it just arrived, but it reminds me of D4 fluid. There's no alcohol smell, unlike RCAs new crap. I think it's only 2 percent alcohol in the GrooveWasher formula. And it does remind me of the original D4 fluid. It has a slightly "thick" feel, not gel like, but you can feel there's something in the fluid, like a lightly soapy water would feel. Not really slippery, just a little heavy. It must be the surfactant, anyway, texturally it feels much like the the old D4 fluid. I was looking at the literature of the GrooveWasher cleaner and it's nice to see they even thought of including a little label cover for when you spritz your fluid if you buy their brush. I'm going to do the old three or four drop D4 fluid application on my brushes, so I didn't get the spritzer. So basically for $10 I got a lifetime supply of this fluid. I'll let you know how it is, but I'm sure it's fine and will work. I'm not expecting my records to leap up and thank me or make a trashed lp gleam like new, like some others would have you think their cleaning method does. If it's grabs the dust and doesnt muck up the grooves, I think this is great deal as a replacement D4 fluid.

74CE8718-AABC-489F-8486-B851A1F20DB8_zpswoyoxnke.jpg

2579C3D9-0C29-4846-AFD7-BD54CD1B7540_zpsritcvk5i.jpg

435671b1-7d1b-4a97-9422-fb6a8ffcf5e0_zps6prysy0g.jpg

Last edited:
I have an RCM and I still use the D3 brush with about 3 drops of my RCM fluid to clean RCM'd records between plays. After a few plays, they go back on the RCM.

I never thought much of the D4 brush, I always thought that the D3 actually worked better and had a more effective nap.

Considering that in 1980, the D3 cost $19.95, adjusted for inflation according to the US Dept. of Labor that would be $52.00 today. So these guys aren't out of line if they're producing a quality product. The old Discwasher was. The current one blows giant pony schlong.

Chadbang said:
Hi Steve, I just bought some of your product. Nice looking stuff! I was reading around and saw this post. So the fluid is going to leave a little lubricative chemical behind? What compound is that? What was your decision in using this chemical and for what purpose. Is it an inert compound on vinyl? I didn't realize I would be applying a compound that would remain on the record. Did the old D4 fluid do this? I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this..

I'm not privy to Steve's formulation, but the original Dishwasher solution used propylene glycol as a lubricant left behind (similar to alcohols, it also helps clean when incorporated into the detergent micelle....their detergent being Triton X114). They also used Sodium Azide as their antimicrobial. Both these, in my opinion, are unnecessary (even harmful as the azide is nasty stuff) and can be substituted with a quat, which will help clean, lubricate, is antimicrobial, and anti-static.
The propylene glycol will not harm your records, but the compound is getting negative attention recently as it is a major component of e-cigs.

Last edited:
I'm not privy to Steve's formulation, but the original Dishwasher solution used propylene glycol as a lubricant left behind (similar to alcohols, it also helps clean when incorporated into the detergent micelle....their detergent being Triton X114). They also used Sodium Azide as their antimicrobial. Both these, in my opinion, are unnecessary (even harmful as the azide is nasty stuff) and can be substituted with a quat, which will help clean, lubricate, is antimicrobial, and anti-static.
The propylene glycol will not harm your records, but the compound is getting negative attention recently as it is a major component of e-cigs.

Thanks, very helpful.

I was interested in how well these worked and went to the site to order one but they do not come in a complete kit with storage container to use when not using the Washer. Been that way for months. Listed as "Sold Out". Bummer...

Sorry I haven't checked in here for a while! We've been busy with a small design change with the walnut handle and ramping up production to introduce GrooveWasher to our local record stores and fulfill online orders.
I noticed chadbang's early comments about the G2 Fluid. And Vince's comments on propylene glycol.

The "slight lubricative effect" I mentioned is identical to Dr Maier's comments about D2, D3 and D4 fluid. One of the emulsifiers we are using (not propylene glycol but in that family) was also an ingredient in the original D2 and D3 fluids, as described in Dr Maier's patent. The concentration level of the emulsifiers in G2 fluid is so small that there is no "coating" remaining on the record surface, and no need for rinsing with distilled or deionized water. This is evidenced in our testing by the results that records in good condition, after cleaning with G2 Fluid, are naturally "shiny" yet vinyl records that have been dulled by use and time are not shiny after using G2 Fluid. The goal is to clean the record's surface and groove, not leave a residual coating.

We will experiment with quats, as Dr Vince suggests. There are always tradeoffs. Our tests (and early user reviews) with G2 Fluid show it to be effective and easy to use with the GrooveWasher brush. Our original goal was to emulate the best features of the D series of record cleaning fluids. And I think we have done that.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Steve

Well - I pulled the trigger on the GrooveWasher cleaning System with Display Block. What can I say. I am thrilled with how well it works. Not going to be my primary cleaning process for dirty purchased used LP's, I use ultrasonic for that, but it is great for those that are not too dirty and for a quick clean on LP's that have already been US cleaned. The cleaning fluid is outstanding and to me works better than just ok. I am not exactly following the directions provided. I spray four spots on the LP while it is off the table. Top, bottom, right and left. I just don't like the idea of over spray landing on the table. I then let it rotate on the table for about 30 seconds to spread the fluid thru the grooves. Then engage the brush on the leading edge moving the brush back and forth from the label to the edge and back until I can see that the fluid has hit all the grooves. Then begin to rotate to the trailing edge of the brush watching to ensure the fluid is drying and the LP is free from any fluid. Lift the brush. Let the LP rotate a bit more to ensure it's dry and play. I have yet to encounter any static and the sound has been improved in every case I have used the GrooveWasher. Is it perfect? No, would like a brush to clean the brush/pad. Feel like I will eventually create cross contamination if I don't clean the pad frequently. They can be cleaned and they can be replaced. Overall very pleased with my purchase. My 2 cents.

It sure looks pretty, but quite honestly, I feel that for just $20 more, I can get a record washing system that works much better than anything I've used involving a handheld brush: the Spinclean. I have a bunch of brush-based systems, including the new, crappy Discwasher brush and the —much better— vintage version, and while the vintage Discwasher works OK, it doesn't come close in effectiveness to the Spinclean system. In my experience, the Spinclean is the only record cleaning solution that comes at least in the ballpark of a vacuum record cleaning machine. I think immersing the record in the cleaning solution makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
:dunno: ... micro grooves are a lot harder to clean than most people think IMHO ... what looks good to the naked eye ... not so much under a pocket microscope ... YouTube video below shows results ... under microscope of Groovewasher & Spin Clean. The pocket microscope featured in the video below is dirt cheap and can help you check your favorite vinyl cleaning method.

Nitty Gritty RCM is my main method of cleaning but I bough the Red Groovewasher Brush and I like the product. :thumbsup: ... I use it mainly for pre-cleaning legacy vinyl (prior to RCM) & for late night dusting LP before headphone listening session.
515X-wfdiAL._AC_US218_.jpg

the wife appreciates the silence. I use to run the RCM round about midnight quite often. o_O

Last edited:
Condorsay - I had the same spousal complaints. My solution - ear plugs from Walgreen's. I even paid for them. ;)

I use a Record Doctor V. I know its crap tier for RCMs but it seems fine to me. The only thing is you can really only do about two at a time as it gets hot really quick.

Still enjoying mine as well - I Spin Clean all of my vinyl (old and new) when I first get it and then use Groovewasher before each listen. I usually
do a couple of rotations with a carbon fiber brush as well.

Back
Top Bottom