ground loop?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by VQLT, Jul 30, 2003.

1. tater415

tater415 New Member

I just got my 2 Altec 9440 amps back from being rebuilt and they have hum. I checked to make sure they had Good Grounds, everything checks out fine, I disconnected all the inputs and just left the speakers hooked up and they still have hum, looks like they're going to have to go back to the shop is there anything else that I can check that I may have missed?

2. EJC1

EJC1 Member

Does it have a 3 prong plug? might be worth trying a 3 to 2 adapter but do not connect the ground wire to the outlet
    Does the Amp have a 2 prong plug? try flipping over.
    Is the outlet wired properly?
    How are the other pieces of hardware connected? are they all grounded to the same point? or are plugged into different outlets.

3. tater415

tater415 New Member

Thanks for responding with suggestions ejc1, I did try it with no ground connected and I still had the same results. the amps originally came with a grounded power cord, I checked the receptacle in the wall, it is wired correctly and it has a ground. the only thing I didn't do as you suggested was to flip the power cord. I took both amps and put them back in the shop I'm still waiting for them to be reworked, one thing I did do was I put them up against a crown ce2000 amp, the Altec 9440 amp blew Crown amp away, the Altec makes more Bass and just sounds so much better. The crown amp is rated 1320 amps and the Altec is rated at 800 amps bridged, so when I turn the volume up and got the meters on the Altec showing 50%the Crown amp clipping light comes on, I love these old altec amps,they were made to perform

4. edwyun

edwyun Super Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    EJC1 likes this.